Just now, Loren Pechtel said:

Question:  Now that we have a 64-bit system are the memory issues a thing of the past?

Somewhat - you can now just run out of system memory instead :p. Using large amounts of memory tends to come with large amounts of garbage collection, which is not a very fun performance hit. Planets aren't a big deal resources-wise though.

4 hours ago, Van Disaster said:

Somewhat - you can now just run out of system memory instead :p. Using large amounts of memory tends to come with large amounts of garbage collection, which is not a very fun performance hit. Planets aren't a big deal resources-wise though.

I'm not worried about system memory.  I've got the RAM to trade for speed.  (I wish there was a way to stop Unity from dumping assets that aren't being used immediately--it would cut the scene change time.)

Saturn analog woluld be nice, but the rings would have to be well implemented.

Something like random spawning of asteroids near the ship that are the deleted when they go more than a few km away from the ship, to avoid having to track 10000000 ring particles.

Ships passing through the rings from the thicker parts at high speeds could just be destroyed.

It would be a lot of work and probably very laggy.

Uranus analog really needs axial tilt.

12 minutes ago, Joonatan1998 said:

Saturn analog woluld be nice, but the rings would have to be well implemented.

Something like random spawning of asteroids near the ship that are the deleted when they go more than a few km away from the ship, to avoid having to track 10000000 ring particles.

Ships passing through the rings from the thicker parts at high speeds could just be destroyed.

It would be a lot of work and probably very laggy.

Uranus analog really needs axial tilt.

I would love Main belt, Kuiper belt, Scattered disc, Detached objects and Oort cloud, with comets like halley.

3 hours ago, Alphard said:

I would love Main belt, Kuiper belt, Scattered disc, Detached objects and Oort cloud, with comets like halley.

Asteroid belts should be relatively easy (compared to rings/axial tilt), main problem would be running out of ram.

Rings are completely different, in asteroid belts even small rocks are very distant from each other, hundreds of kilometres, in rings the distances are often just metres.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.