maybe I was thinking of gamma rays:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gamma_ray#Shielding

Shielding from gamma rays requires large amounts of mass, in contrast to alpha particles, which can be blocked by paper or skin, and beta particles, which can be shielded by foil. Gamma rays are better absorbed by materials with high atomic numbers and high density, although neither effect is important compared to the total mass per area in the path of the gamma ray. For this reason, a lead shield is only modestly better (20–30% better) as a gamma shield than an equal mass of another shielding material, such as aluminium, concrete, water or soil; lead's major advantage is not in lower weight, but rather its compactness due to its higher density. Protective clothing, goggles and respirators can protect from internal contact with or ingestion of alpha or beta emitting particles, but provide no protection from gamma radiation from external sources.

• 1 month later...

Why the heck Laythe? I'd be completely fine with volcainc Tylo, with deadly seas and rivers of magma, volcanoes that spew gas (localized atmosphere regions), and even quakes that can unsettle your base or craft. But what is there to dislike about current Laythe, to want it replaced?

Switch the places of Tylo and Laythe, keep Laythe as it is otherwise. Give Tylo massive volcanism and a thin (between Duna and Laythe) atmosphere of Carbon Dioxide, Sulfur Dioxide and other lovely volcanic by-products.

Imagine flying a supersonic plane over an erupting volcano and you get the new Tylo. 

On ‎2016‎-‎07‎-‎10 at 0:35 AM, NovaSilisko said:

Enveloped in clouds flashing with lightning, the air laden heavily with noxious volcanic gases. Only occasionally do the clouds break to reveal glimpses of the surface below - either the greenish, choppy ocean, or yellow and white and red landscapes of rock and sand peppered with everything from hot springs and geysers to active volcanoes, every square inch radioactive from the intense radiation belts of Jool.

That is Laythe.

It sounds absolutely gorgeous and amazing, and if to be added as another moon, it would be great.  I agree with others that Laythe is too incrusted in the core game by now to be removed... I'd ask OPM ppl or Galileo to remake it and put it back if it was removed.  But this new Laythe called "Silisko" (why not ?) could be a volcanic world orbiting Jool, or fittingly Gas planet 2 (or 3, or 4).  Gorgeous moons are always welcomed.

I just don't want it replaced (of if you DO replace it, move Laythe somewhere else. if not in the Jool system, to another system). 

I think Laythe needs to look colder. Like, give it polar caps that cover a significant amount of the moon, sort of so the tropical zone is free of ice but that's it. Maybe make it actually colder too (Laythe in recent versions is warmer than it was in like 0.90, I liked the temperature better like that).

EDIT: Yes I am a winter person :D 

Edited by Findthepin1

On 05/09/2016 at 5:24 AM, Findthepin1 said:

I think Laythe needs to look colder. Like, give it polar caps that cover a significant amount of the moon, sort of so the tropical zone is free of ice but that's it. Maybe make it actually colder too (Laythe in recent versions is warmer than it was in like 0.90, I liked the temperature better like that).

I agree. I think it would actually look pretty cool (pun intended) with big polar caps and a few small islands sorrounded by water on the equator. That would give quite a lot of smooth glacier surfaces great for air-breathing aircraft. Right now you either land on the water or go for the very small polar caps.

EDIT: Big snow caps and volcanos with a warm-ish region on the equator. Just so we can be the witnesses of this never-ending tug of war between greenhouse gases and the lack of solar radiation.

Edited by Veeltch

On 7/8/2016 at 0:17 PM, Vysionone said:

I sort of want Laythe to be replaced with a volcanic body like Io's, with the same diameter and same gravity.

I think adding another planet with those specs would be better. More fun!

On 05/09/2016 at 4:24 AM, Findthepin1 said:

It'd have to be moved away from Jool. Although moving it outwards and replacing it with the volcanic planet would be a good thing other than losing the spectacular Joolrise/sets.

I wouldn't replace it, but I'd add volcanism to it just as it was supposed to be, because it's too boring now.

On 5/11/2013 at 0:10 AM, NovaSilisko said:

The general idea I had was if you scooted Europa in to around Io's position through some gravitational mishap. The tidal forces worked to melt the surface ice completely, and keep an ocean. (The atmosphere is a bit of artistic license there, it would have to form through some other means, unless it's mostly water vapor or something) Eventually I do want to make laythe quite volcanically active in addition to just having oceans. So pretty much a melted Europa plus Io. Despite the surface liquid it's not really a habitable place. Very radioactive (like Io).

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.