Quick Challenge: Lightest Craft to Orbit [Stock only] New Challenge #5!

1 hour ago, QF9E said:

You used the KAL-1000 in that build.

yes but the craft does not contain a kal 1000 meaning that it could load in 2016 version without dlc or mods(not getting mechjeb would let the 3 cases missing but just add a probe core its fine)

]

22 hours ago, QF9E said:

Sorry, no. This is what a stock version of your craft would look like:

DZYwrxV.png

As @swjr-swis has already noted, the names of some of the parts are different. The mass of the craft is also different from your version, and the delta-v is much lower.

As to you linking to the KSP wiki: I did not find the "R-20 Dumpling",  "RC-02 Probo" or "Zs-06-200 Recargable Battery bank" on the page you linked, can you please clarify? The parts from my version, on the other hand, can be readily found there:

As to your short video: I asked for a video of your craft in flight, with the engine ISP, TWR and amount of propellant visible. None of that is visible in your video.

I'm starting to wonder if you are fully honest with us. You get one last chance to prove that your craft is legitimate. If you don't, I will judge your submission as invalid.

it may not be today because my pc is acting up so tommorow is more likely

Edited by ReeoNew

Here is 620kg:

MMpVRPB.png

A small nose cone, an OKTO 2, 2 Oscar Bs, with one of them having one tick of fuel drained, a Spark, and another small nose cone on the back to reduce drag, clipped upwards so it doesn't obstruct the engine.

UrxwcIy.png

Liftoff! Ascent profile is very aggressive due to the high TWR, we hit 45 degrees of pitch at around 2.5km altitude. From there, SAS prograde is chosen, and when the apoapsis nears space, the engine is throttled down but kept just barely on to maintain SAS prograde. This is done because in an earlier attempt, I just cut off the engine and due to the drag losses of tumbling around, I didn't make orbit.

BSWyBhm.png

KBAkTMI.png

Throttling down.

21OJJKN.png

Complete cutoff. The probe core is placed in hibernation mode during the coast to the apoapsis.

f1Cm6y6.png

Nearing apoapsis.

x9C54bt.png

Due to concentration and the short burn I forgot to take a screenshot during the burn, but due to burning slightly too early/off prograde, we are not in orbit, but we have 15m/s left to try to circularize at apoapsis. Hibernation is turned on again.

KXy1sfl.png

And, successfully in orbit with just a hint of electric charge left!

10 minutes ago, Ultimate Steve said:

Here is 620kg:

Excellent, nicely done! Very brave of you to forego a separate battery, but you had just about enough electricity for the mission, so well done indeed!

With that you gain the top spot for the challenge for Category #1, Unmanned. Since I am not the OP I cannot edit their post to add your name to the scoreboard, I hope that's not too much of a disappointment.

14 minutes ago, Ultimate Steve said:

Due to concentration and the short burn I forgot to take a screenshot during the burn

No problem, that sounds all too familiar. Nowadays, when doing challenge missions I capture video of the entire mission and select screenshots afterwards with my video editor. That saves me the hassle of taking screenshots during complex maneuvers. Maybe that would work for you as well? Im using OBS Studio and Shotcut, both are open source.

• 1 month later...
  • 4 months later...
On 7/1/2022 at 4:20 PM, Ultimate Steve said:

Here is 620kg:

MMpVRPB.png

A small nose cone, an OKTO 2, 2 Oscar Bs, with one of them having one tick of fuel drained, a Spark, and another small nose cone on the back to reduce drag, clipped upwards so it doesn't obstruct the engine.

UrxwcIy.png

Liftoff! Ascent profile is very aggressive due to the high TWR, we hit 45 degrees of pitch at around 2.5km altitude. From there, SAS prograde is chosen, and when the apoapsis nears space, the engine is throttled down but kept just barely on to maintain SAS prograde. This is done because in an earlier attempt, I just cut off the engine and due to the drag losses of tumbling around, I didn't make orbit.

BSWyBhm.png

KBAkTMI.png

Throttling down.

21OJJKN.png

Complete cutoff. The probe core is placed in hibernation mode during the coast to the apoapsis.

f1Cm6y6.png

Nearing apoapsis.

x9C54bt.png

Due to concentration and the short burn I forgot to take a screenshot during the burn, but due to burning slightly too early/off prograde, we are not in orbit, but we have 15m/s left to try to circularize at apoapsis. Hibernation is turned on again.

KXy1sfl.png

And, successfully in orbit with just a hint of electric charge left!

I'm impressed! I didn't think the Spark could do it without staging. On the other hand, I don't like the nose-cone-clipping technique for drag reduction much. But even with that said, I believe you're the first person in five years to beat my design, so very well done. :)

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.