KOS: ` ~ ^ " ' keys turn into letters in the terminal

In the terminal these characters show up and behave like the letters shown:

` turns into P

~ turns into S

^ turns into R

' turns into Q

" turns into W

There is a message about tinyPG.

In the editing terminal the e, r and the d keys don't even show up. How do I fix this?

We've never heard of this happening from *anyone else*, ever.  This is really strange.  What kind of keyboard do you have?  Is it one designed for non-English language, in which the key layout isn't the common "QWERTY" style but is something else? (I sort of hope not, because if it is, there's going to be just about no way we could reproduce it ourselves to figure out how to fix it).

5 hours ago, Steven Mading said:

We've never heard of this happening from *anyone else*, ever.  This is really strange.  What kind of keyboard do you have?  Is it one designed for non-English language, in which the key layout isn't the common "QWERTY" style but is something else? (I sort of hope not, because if it is, there's going to be just about no way we could reproduce it ourselves to figure out how to fix it).

English keyboard with qwerty, running Ubuntu, there was a message about parsing and tinyPG.

8 hours ago, ToukieToucan said:

there was a message about parsing and tinyPG.

Well, I assumed that was the effect, not the cause.  (i.e. "I tried to type 'print', and got `^int instead.  It's complaining because `^int isn't understood.")

Here's something to try:  Can you open up any *other* part of the game that has you typing text into a field?  For example, put a kerbal in a capsule on the launchpad, EVA the kerbal and have them plant a flag.  Try to type some text as the flag's message.  Do the letters work right in that input field?

I can't think of anything at all that would be causing this weirdness.  Did you edit GFX/font_small.png perhaps so the pictures don't match the letters??

58 minutes ago, Steven Mading said:

Well, I assumed that was the effect, not the cause.  (i.e. "I tried to type 'print', and got `^int instead.  It's complaining because `^int isn't understood.")

Here's something to try:  Can you open up any *other* part of the game that has you typing text into a field?  For example, put a kerbal in a capsule on the launchpad, EVA the kerbal and have them plant a flag.  Try to type some text as the flag's message.  Do the letters work right in that input field?

I can't think of anything at all that would be causing this weirdness.  Did you edit GFX/font_small.png perhaps so the pictures don't match the letters??

You can work around this by editing the .ks files with a text editor.

As long as you can type 'Run (program name).' you should be alright. 

45 minutes ago, ToukieToucan said:

You can work around this by editing the .ks files with a text editor.

As long as you can type 'Run (program name).' you should be alright. 

Wel, yes, but... I mean... if it really is behaving like this is interferes with a lot of things.  for example, you can't easily make small interactive commands to try things out.

Out of curiosity, what happens when you try using the telnet option?  Knowing that might help narrow things down a bit because your keypresses under the telnet option take a slightly different path through the code up to a point, then they're the same as the in-game terminal after that.  So if the effect is the same for both, that means the problem occurs after that point, and if it's different for them, then the problem occurs before that point.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.