[KSP 1.3.1] KEI - Kerbin Environmental Institute(1.2.3) 2017-10-11

RealGecko

"Field tests of our new science equipment is a common practice, that gives us a lot of valuable information. However this procedure is really time consuming. That's why Kerbal Space Center signed contract with Kerbal Environmental Institute to do this boring job for us."

Interview with Gene Kerman - KSC flight director. Kerbin Weekly.

Get science from KSC "biomes" in one click.

Warning!!! May give you unexpected science boost!!! :D

Using [x] Science! is recommended, to keep things clear.

D8eUKUc.png

hdL87nc.png

Tired of poking around KSC measuring pressure at R&D Observatory and taking surface samples from SPH Round Tank, trying to get some science to finally unlock RE-L10 "Poodle" and start flying to space? Well, no more!!! Gather all available science experiments from KSC with a click of a button and go explore!

Can be enabled in the midst of career.

Spacedock download

Merge arcivhe contents with your GameData.

Source code on GitHub

License GPL version 3

Icon by Freepik and is licensed under Creative Commons BY 3.0

Changelog

Spoiler

Version 1.2.3:

• Recompile for KSP 1.3.1
  • Fix body name in main window title

Version 1.2.2:

• Experiments for the part are not available until part is purchased
  • Fixed dmlaserblastscan and dmNAlbedoScan descriptions
  • Check for null experiment ids by @linuxgurugamer
  • List of excluded experiments is stored in plain text file by @linuxgurugamer
  • List of exlcuded manufacturers is stored in plain text file

Version 1.2.1:

• Recompiled with KSP 1.2.1 libraries, just in case
  • New messages for some DMagicOrbitalScience experiments from @Enceos

Version 1.2.0:

• KSP 1.2 compatible
  • KEI window closes on opening Astronaut Complex
  • KEI window title changes according to main body name, so in RSS it will be EEI :D
  • Changed icon, made by Freepik and is licensed under Creative Commons BY 3.0

Version 1.1.2:

Version 1.1.1:

• Fixed science return value for games with science gain different than 100%.

Version 1.1.0:

• Experiments are not performed automatically anymore.
  • GUI to gather KSC sciecne.
  • Station Science mod ignored completely.
  • Surface Experiments Pack "Solar Wind Spectrum" and "Ion Detector Readings" are ignored.

Version 1.0.3:

• KEI can be disabled and enabled at any time, state is saved on per save file basis.

Version 1.0.2:

• Fixed some experiment reports repeated continuosly with 0.00 science gain

Version 1.0.1:

• Experiments checked everytime player goes to KSC creen.
  • Some typo fixes.

Edited by RealGecko
JAMU

Wait... Wait.... this.... Does this do all the KSC science for you!? No more tedious hopping around the KSC doing time consuming science hunting for all the correct biomes!? Am I understanding correctly!?

9 minutes ago, vardicd said:

Wait... Wait.... this.... Does this do all the KSC science for you!? No more tedious hopping around the KSC doing time consuming science hunting for all the correct biomes!? Am I understanding correctly!?

Absolutely :D:D:D

Just now, RealGecko said:

You mean putting files to GameData?

ah ok, I got confused, usually the files are zipped already in gamedata folder, and u just usually drag n drop to ksp, but that's ok now I know

1 minute ago, C04L said:

ah ok, I got confused, usually the files are zipped already in gamedata folder, and u just usually drag n drop to ksp, but that's ok now I know

Every mod developer makes it his own way, some wrap mod contents with GameData, some not. I think that packing everything inside GameData is a good practice. And now I'm wondering why didn't I :D. I'll note this to myself.

However if mod get indexed by CKAN you'll have no trouble installing it at all :)

so at the start of the game, you auto get the science for the equipment you have in the tech tree at the time and auto get whenever you learn new sci-tech.

this has saved me a lot of time thanks!

*added to my mod permaList

Edited by C04L

10 minutes ago, C04L said:

so at the start of the game, you auto get the science for the equipment you have in the tech tree at the time and auto get whenever you learn new sci-tech.

Yep, you're right, I've edited the OP to clarify things up.

Edited by RealGecko

4 hours ago, vardicd said:

4 hours ago, RealGecko said:

Absolutely :D:D:D

By the Kraken's unholy eye..... You sir, this is GLORIOUS!

hm... wonder if it will work correctly if added to a game in progress... only one way to know! :D:D

Does not seem to update a game already in progress, unless something is needed to trigger it. :( Or I'm a dolt and installed it wrong, but not sure there, will experiment.

ZgKfSYS.jpg

XkUOPkE.jpg

10 hours ago, vardicd said:

Or I'm a dolt and installed it wrong, but not sure there, will experiment.

Try upgrading one of your buildings, it will trigger recalculation of all available experiments in all biomes.

Edit: see next message.

Edited by RealGecko

12 hours ago, vardicd said:

but not sure there, will experiment

I'll upgrade the mod today, so recalculation will be triggered every time you go to KSC screen.

Edit: See next message.

Edited by RealGecko

1 hour ago, RealGecko said:

Try upgrading one of your buildings, it will trigger recalculation of all available experiments in all biomes.

Edit: see next message.

1 hour ago, RealGecko said:

I'll upgrade the mod today, so recalculation will be triggered every time you go to KSC screen.

Edit: See next message.

3 minutes ago, RealGecko said:

Updated mod, grab version 1.0.1 :)

Yeah when my tracking station upgraded, it triggered and holy cow, I'm using the Strategia mod by nightingale, and had the local science III strategy going, which gives massive bonus's to science around KSC, I jumped from 359 science to 4040 science when this mod fired.

Just now, Deimos Rast said:

You must be on holiday or something, no mere mortal can code this fast!

Actually not, if you open any of my mods source code you'll see that they're mostly primitive. It is more time consuming to crack the nutshell of KSP API, than to write the actual code.

However I have plans for at least two "must have" mods, that are going to be much more ambitious :D

@RealGecko Just a thought, but have you considered having this mod balanced by having some kind of cost associated with it? I mean, it seems like you're outsourcing the testing/gathering of KSC science to an outside.. company? so having the process cost some funds would seem to make sense, and balance it against, oh look here, all the science for free. Just a thought, curious to know what you think.

9 minutes ago, vardicd said:

@RealGecko Just a thought, but have you considered having this mod balanced by having some kind of cost associated with it? I mean, it seems like you're outsourcing the testing/gathering of KSC science to an outside.. company? so having the process cost some funds would seem to make sense, and balance it against, oh look here, all the science for free. Just a thought, curious to know what you think.

Initially I thought that KEI would cover whole Kerbin and of course not for free. For example getting science from mountains would take let's say three days and cost you let's say 20.000 kerbin bucks.

But then I decided to stop at the KSC and make it free. So this mod became just a time saver at the beginning of the career. Your vessel recovery is free at KSC, experiments are free at KSC. Why you must waste your time? Just get it!!! :)

And all this "contract" stuff was done just for fun. We're at KSP, some craziness is always welcomed :D

22 minutes ago, vardicd said:

outsourcing the testing/gathering of KSC science to an outside.. company

Let's think that KEI is just one of subdivisions of KSC :D:D:D

11 minutes ago, Darkstar One said:

Name is different on CKAN? Can't find it there but Spacedock says it's listet.

Mods I released recently are still not commited to CKAN.

If you look here you'll notice that some mods like Year2200 are waiting for more than a month to be commited.

The reasons are complete mystery to me.

Edited by RealGecko

3 minutes ago, RealGecko said:

Mods I released recently are still not commited to CKAN.

If you look here you'll notice that some mods like Year2200 are waiting for more than a month to be commited.

The reasons are complete mystery to me.

Weird... ok then I'll go manual because it's really a great addition to KSP.