[KSP 1.3.1] KEI - Kerbin Environmental Institute(1.2.3) 2017-10-11

RealGecko

7 hours ago, RealGecko said:

That's strange.

To be clear, it does show up in CKAN for KSP 1.2.1 (I haven't checked for 1.1.3 or 1.2), just not for 1.1.2.  Probably a metadata problem.  If you want to fix it, one of us should mention it in the CKAN thread.

7 hours ago, RealGecko said:

Version 1.1.2  is compatible with KSP 1.1.2.

Awesome, thanks.  :)

Edited by SilverlightPony

• 3 weeks later...

i somehow managed to miss the references to it in the previous pages, but yes. it actually does appear, i was confusing it for another icon, it just does nothing on clicking it. maaaan. well, i can't disable l-tech given it'll disable all the ships i have with their parts. hopefully a fix or workaround gets thought up.

3 minutes ago, RealGecko said:

Actually KSC contains only 1785 science. Grab Bon Voyage, explore The Mun with it, you'll have much much much more science:

screenshot959.png

:D:D:D:D

that's what i'm doing now :P it's just that i'm using supplies and had to send an unmanned first, as i don't have the supply generation up there for a kerbal. but i'm working on it!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

@RealGecko Not sure if you're aware of it or not, or if you'll care, but Kerbin Environmental Institute allows you to gather science for science parts that have been researched, but not yet purchased. It's a pretty minor thing, and I'd have never noticed if I wasn't playing on a very limited funds career play through.

ZVeyfM6.jpg

QHQJMqW.jpg

Wm7DR5v.jpg

EXlLILO.jpg

On 10/13/2016 at 9:16 AM, Tivec said:

I've sent you the list, the save file is literally a new save, click KEI, unlock down to Space Exploration like this: tBukgWE.png

I'm looking into this problem you had with L-tech.  I installed L-Tech, KEI and [x]science, created a new save, did what this said to do, and am not getting any null refs at this time.

Can you provide any more info?

I'm testing on a 1.2.2 system, with the latest L-tech code

Edit:  Just got the null ref, so I can now debug

Edited by linuxgurugamer

I found a small bug in KEI, related to the problem with L-Tech.

It's a simple one-line fix.  What's causing the nullrefs was a missing check for a null value at line 152.  This is what it should be:

if (ex.experimentID != null && ex.experimentID != "" && ex.experimentID != "SEP_SolarwindSpectrum" && ex.experimentID != "SEP_CCIDscan")

I'll be doing a PR.

This doesn't excuse a possible problem with L-Tech, but this is a bug in this mod, and took me about 15 minutes to find.  I haven't seen the same issue with [x]Science, maybe it was fixed already there.

2 hours ago, linuxgurugamer said:

I found a small bug in KEI, related to the problem with L-Tech.

It's a simple one-line fix.  What's causing the nullrefs was a missing check for a null value at line 152.  This is what it should be:

if (ex.experimentID != null && ex.experimentID != "" && ex.experimentID != "SEP_SolarwindSpectrum" && ex.experimentID != "SEP_CCIDscan")

I'll be doing a PR.

This doesn't excuse a possible problem with L-Tech, but this is a bug in this mod, and took me about 15 minutes to find.  I haven't seen the same issue with [x]Science, maybe it was fixed already there.

This code was once in KEI, but was removed then as non working. KEI is not the source of exception, it's ResearchAndDevelopment object which raised it. So it's better be fixed on L-Tech side.

Edited by RealGecko

36 minutes ago, RealGecko said:

This code was once in KEI, but was removed then as non working. KEI is not the source of exception, it's ResearchAndDevelopment object which raised it. So it's better be fixed on L-Tech side.

Well, I beg to disagree.  I pulled down the latest code for KEI from github.  It was generating an exception, until I added the

ex.experimentID != null &&

With this single change, the exceptions went away.

The problem is that the experimentID is null, which is causing the exception.  

I'm puzzled as to why you are objecting to adding a simple check for a null value?  The exception is happening in KEI, because of a part from L-Tech (the Skylab).  I'm working on that side, but would like to respectfully request that you try this fix yourself, instead of blindly rejecting it.

BTW, I just looked at the link you provided, and the code which was/is in KEI was NOT, repeat, NOT, checking for the ex.experimentID != null.  It is checking to see if it is not an empty string, which is totally different from being null

Edited by linuxgurugamer

2 minutes ago, linuxgurugamer said:

Well, I beg to disagree.  I pulled down the latest code for KEI from github.  It was generating an exception, until I added the

ex.experimentID != null &&

With this single change, the exceptions went away.

The problem is that the experimentID is null, which is causing the exception.  

I'm puzzled as to why you are objecting to adding a simple check for a null value?  The exception is happening in KEI, because of a part from L-Tech (the Skylab).  I'm working on that side, but would like to respectfully request that you try this fix yourself, instead of blindly rejecting it.

Man, you're not the first who tried to provide a solution, it did not work, I tried to fix it myself, but it did not work either

If you confirm that your solution is working, then I'll merge your PR, but it does not deny the fact that L-Tech is the source of the problem. Removing the source of the problem is better than inventing workarounds.

Just now, RealGecko said:

Man, you're not the first who tried to provide a solution, it did not work, I tried to fix it myself, but it did not work either

If you confirm that your solution is working, then I'll merge your PR, but it does not deny the fact that L-Tech is the source of the problem. Removing the source of the problem is better than inventing workarounds.

Please look at that post again, his patch is:

if (ex.experimentID != "" && ex.experimentID != "SEP_SolarwindSpectrum" && ex.experimentID != "SEP_CCIDscan")

Notice it is NOT checking for ex.experimentID != null

I've confirmed it works here, would you like me to provide you with a DLL?  or a video?  I don't know what else to say.  You are ignoring what I'm saying about the check for  a null value, which is missing in @Kerbas_ad_astra original patch

Just now, RealGecko said:

My workaround did.

The code I pulled down from github did not have that, and neither did the code you posted in that post: 

Here is the KEI code on Github, look at line 152:

https://github.com/Real-Gecko/KSP-KEI/blob/master/KEI/KEI.cs

No check for null, just checks for an empty string (which is not a null) and other checks:

if (ex.experimentID != "" && ex.experimentID != "SEP_SolarwindSpectrum" && ex.experimentID != "SEP_CCIDscan")

ex.experimentID !="" still requires that ex.experimentID is not null

1 minute ago, linuxgurugamer said:

The code I pulled down from github did not have that, and neither did the code you posted in that post: 

Here is the KEI code on Github, look at line 152:

https://github.com/Real-Gecko/KSP-KEI/blob/master/KEI/KEI.cs

No check for null, just checks for an empty string (which is not a null) and other checks:

ex.experimentID !="" still requires that ex.experimentID is not null

It not worked, as a result it was not released to the public. Obvious, isn't it?

Just now, linuxgurugamer said:

Obvious is that you refuse to admit that you might have made a mistake.

Since it would take you about 5 minutes to test my change

First: I did not make any mistakes, explained it.

Second: you created a workaround, you say it's working and provided a PR. If it's working, fine, I'll merge PR with your changes.

But that does not mean that you can come and say something like: Hey, look, I'm smart, you're dumb.

Abusing others is not the best way of interacting with people.

Conversation is over.

You've been objecting to everything I've been saying.

I will find the problem in L-Tech, but that doesn't change the fact that the code in KEI has a possibility of having a nullref because a value which has been demonstrated to be null in admittedly rare circumstances.  Adding this simple check can't hurt, and will provide protection for the future.

Merge the PR or not, I really don't care anymore.  I spent time debugging your mod, found a problem and posted a fix, which you then kept saying won't work.

Whatever, as you say, conversation is over.

I swear, I download mods at the most (in)opportune times.

This explains why KEI didn't seem to be loading, at least. :D

@RealGecko If you merge the PR and do a release (I don't have a dev environment, unfortunately,) I'll happily give it a separate test. As it stands though, I've got to remove KEI. :(

I just found the problem in L-Tech, it was a missing parameter in a cfg file.

The line:

experimentID = error

was missing from a module which didn't obviously inherit from ModuleScienceExperiment.  Which means that any part which has a science experiment which is missing this would cause the problem.

I'm not sure when @Olympic1 will do another release, but this will be included in it.

The fix is discussed here:

http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/index.php?/topic/49319-12-l-tech-scientific-industries-v42/&do=findComment&comment=2925667

Edited by linuxgurugamer