[KSP 1.3.1] KEI - Kerbin Environmental Institute(1.2.3) 2017-10-11

RealGecko

3 minutes ago, etmoonshade said:

@linuxgurugamer: It worked!

LTechsvsKEI.PNG

Of course, the "WaitWhat" and the "Error" entries are probably bugs in their own right (I know specifically that WaitWhat is from L-Tech,) but hey - at least it works. ^_^

Not really a but per-se, those are placeholders for the external camera and for the skylab experiments.

I'm not sure if anything can or should be done.  I suppose I could write a patch for KEI which would just ignore those (similar to a patch for a couple of other mods), but I want to discuss this with @Olympic1 first

To be fair, "" isn't the same as null. One is a blank string, the other is something that doesn't exist at all.

It looks to me like you're missing an obvious error case in your code - and being nasty about it to someone who was trying to help so you don't end up with the same problem with another mod later on.

Remember: Be careful about what you output, generous about what you take as input. This works for code and for life. :D

Source: Wouldn't touch C# with a 10-foot pole, but developed in MUDs in C for many many years back in the day - let me tell you about some segfaults... :V

Also http://stackoverflow.com/questions/17386547/what-is-the-difference-between-and-null if you want an actual link. :wink:

32 minutes ago, etmoonshade said:

To be fair, "" isn't the same as null. One is a blank string, the other is something that doesn't exist at all.

You answered your question yourself: one is empty string, the other is something that does not exist. For your PC this is vast difference: empty string stored in RAM, nothing at all stored nowhere.

36 minutes ago, etmoonshade said:

It looks to me like you're missing an obvious error case in your code

If error was in my code, why was it fixed outside? :D:D:D:D

37 minutes ago, etmoonshade said:

being nasty about it to someone who was trying to help

I always accept help, but delivered in polite manner :P

54 minutes ago, RealGecko said:

If error was in my code, why was it fixed outside? :D:D:D:D

Because there were two errors here.  One in your code, which was missing a check for a nullref, and one in L-tech, which was missing a line in a cfg file.

[x]Science had already implemented a check for a nullref, which is why it wasn't generating an error.

and, if any other mod makes the same mistake, you will get the same error.

On another note, I believe that some of that code is to prevent experiments which aren't local to the KSC from running.  Right now you've hard-coded in two experiments (the SEP).  It would be good if you were to make that configurable, so that other experiments can be added without having to change code.  Specifically,, L-Tech experiments will need to be (haven't yet figured out other stuff), and I'd rather not have to keep pushing changes to  your mod if I could do it in a local MM patch

Edited by linuxgurugamer

30 minutes ago, linuxgurugamer said:

Because there were two errors here.  One in your code, which was missing a check for a nullref, and one in L-tech, which was missing a line in a cfg file.

Ah yes, will add NRE checks everywhere, did not do it in any of my mods, thanks for advice.

30 minutes ago, etmoonshade said:

Note that I said error case, not error. In other words, by adding that you're protecting yourself from the errors of other people.

You got rid of NREs, nice, what's the point of this conversation?

29 minutes ago, RealGecko said:

You got rid of NREs, nice, what's the point of this conversation?

Perception. I see two modders here; one who fixed a bug in their code and offered some help to another modder... and another who is too proud to accept help. This speaks volumes for which mods I'll have support trouble with later on down the line, and I'm glad I'm seeing this before I get it and any others too entrenched into my game. :)

2 hours ago, linuxgurugamer said:

On another note, I believe that some of that code is to prevent experiments which aren't local to the KSC from running.  Right now you've hard-coded in two experiments (the SEP).  It would be good if you were to make that configurable, so that other experiments can be added without having to change code.  Specifically,, L-Tech experiments will need to be (haven't yet figured out other stuff), and I'd rather not have to keep pushing changes to  your mod if I could do it in a local MM patch

@RealGecko Do you think you would be able to do this?

Or, if you were willing, I might have some time to code this later and send it to you in a PR.

Let me know

18 minutes ago, nascarlaser1 said:

could someone put this on CKAN?

(looks like a lifesaver for career btw!)

It is on CKAN.  Problem is that the .version file only says a max KSP version of 1.2.1, so if you want to install it, you might need to tell CKAN to allow compatible versions from 1.2.1

Edited by linuxgurugamer

I've made some changes for my own use.  If anyone would like to use it, it's available on Github here: https://github.com/linuxgurugamer/KSP-KEI/releases/tag/1.2.1.1-Unofficial

• Recompiled with KSP 1.2.2
  • Check for null added, in case an experiment is missing the experimentID
  • Config file added to list all excluded experiments
  • Code added to read config file and check the loaded data for exclude experiments
  • Old code removed which had hard-coded experiments for exclusion:
  1.     SEP_SolarwindSpectrum
  2.     SEP_CCIDscan

I'd be very pleased if @RealGecko would accept these changes, it makes the mod more reliable and versatile.  If the changes are used, I'll then remove my zip since it won't be needed anymore 

Edited by linuxgurugamer

3 minutes ago, nascarlaser1 said:

how do I do this?

In Ckan, click the Settings, then the bottom menu item is "Compatible KSP versions", select that

It will give you a list of versions, if 1.2.1 isn't there, you can add the version to the list, and then don't forget to select it

11 hours ago, etmoonshade said:

Perception. I see two modders here; one who fixed a bug in their code and offered some help to another modder... and another who is too proud to accept help. This speaks volumes for which mods I'll have support trouble with later on down the line, and I'm glad I'm seeing this before I get it and any others too entrenched into my game. :)

Oh man, you're entertaining me so much, a hadn't this fun for a long time on this forum :D:D:D

4 hours ago, linuxgurugamer said:
  • Config file added to list all excluded experiments
  • Code added to read config file and check the loaded data for exclude experiments
  • Old code removed which had hard-coded experiments for exclusion:

Sounds cool, do a PR.

7 hours ago, RealGecko said:

Oh man, you're entertaining me so much, a hadn't this fun for a long time on this forum :D:D:D

Sounds cool, do a PR.

PR done.  Note that the PR includes the Visual Studio files, I suggest you copy yours before pulling it down since they are specific for my computer.  Other than that, it's clean

On ‎1‎/‎18‎/‎2017 at 7:11 PM, linuxgurugamer said:

In Ckan, click the Settings, then the bottom menu item is "Compatible KSP versions", select that

It will give you a list of versions, if 1.2.1 isn't there, you can add the version to the list, and then don't forget to select it

I added 1.2.1, but nothing changes even after refreshing CKAN :(. Did I mess something up? KEI is still under incompatible for 1.2.1 :(.

4 hours ago, nascarlaser1 said:

I added 1.2.1, but nothing changes even after refreshing CKAN :(. Did I mess something up? KEI is still under incompatible for 1.2.1 :(.

Not sure what's going on.  KEI is listed as compatible for 1.2.2.  If you have L-Tech installed, it won't let you install KEI (listed as incompatible)

14 hours ago, linuxgurugamer said:

Not sure what's going on.  KEI is listed as compatible for 1.2.2.  If you have L-Tech installed, it won't let you install KEI (listed as incompatible)

oh wait.. which version was I supposed to add to compatible list? I'm using game version 1.2.1, so maybe I need to add 1.2.2 to the compatibility list? (I haven't even heard of L-Tech so I do not think its that, unless it was installed as a dependency for something else.)

8 minutes ago, nascarlaser1 said:

oh wait.. which version was I supposed to add to compatible list? I'm using game version 1.2.1, so maybe I need to add 1.2.2 to the compatibility list? (I haven't even heard of L-Tech so I do not think its that, unless it was installed as a dependency for something else.)

Nope.

Do you have Mission Controller 2 installed?  If so, it conflicts with KEI as well

3 minutes ago, linuxgurugamer said:

Nope.

Do you have Mission Controller 2 installed?  If so, it conflicts with KEI as well

nope :(. I'm having the same issue with the new Feline rover mod as well :(. both appear as non compatible, even though both should work given that its just a minor update difference.

You have something wrong.  I just downloaded the Feline rover info for CKAN, it has no conflicts with anything, and given it's so new, nothing can have yet added any conflicts with it.

Do you have the latest CKAN installed?  what version of KSP are you installing to?

Edited by linuxgurugamer

7 minutes ago, linuxgurugamer said:

You have something wrong.  I just downloaded the Feline rover info for CKAN, it has no conflicts with anything, and given it's so new, nothing can have yet added any conflicts with it.

Do you have the latest CKAN installed?  what version of KSP are you installing to?

I installed it months ago when 1.2.1 first was released. KSP version is 1.2.1 (given that I go it from the ksp store, I don't wanna have to reinstall it just for a small bug update).