RQ-888 Valkyrie

After a lengthy absence, I have finally created something that I feel will really take off in the community (i'm not sorry).

Now presenting the RQ-888 Valkyrie, a more futuristic take on the famous SR-71 Blackbird. Featuring a large tailless delta wing, 3 powerful engines, a small payload area, a new tail integration, remarkable fuel efficiency, and enough fuel to get it nearly all the way around the world, this plane is well suited for almost any role. If you're careful, you can even get this plane can hurtle through the sky at a little over 1300 m/s before something explodes. Its most effective altitude is anywhere below 20000 meters, at 25000 m thrust starts dropping, and at 28000 m, engines cut off.

.craft file here

Stats:

Height: 5.0 m

Width: 22.6 m

Length: 29.0 m

Weight: 61.997 Tons

Crew Capacity: 0 Kerbals

Max Fuel: 7520 Units

Top Speed (Ignore Max Temp.) : 1625 m/s 

Mods used: I'm not sure anymore, so here's my gamedata folder with all the mods. (This includes the Squad folder just as a heads up)

Another heads up, this file is BIG. Its approximately 1.1 gb large in a 450 mb zip file, so some antivirus software might flag it.

Edited by wrench-in-the-works
that awkward moment when you post the topic before you're ready

Are those Mattock engines from Mk2 expansion? Because if they are, then you could probably get this into orbit if you stuck a tank of oxidiser in there somewhere since those engines are similar in function to the Rapier (if they're the engines that I'm thinking of that is, I haven't done a whole lot with that mod).

6 hours ago, eloquentJane said:

Are those Mattock engines from Mk2 expansion? Because if they are, then you could probably get this into orbit if you stuck a tank of oxidiser in there somewhere since those engines are similar in function to the Rapier (if they're the engines that I'm thinking of that is, I haven't done a whole lot with that mod).

Yes, those are Mattock engines. I know I could probably get this into orbit, and push the top speed much higher, but I wasn't thinking of that at the moment. If I remember, I might put a modified version in with oxidizer as a separate download.

You should try to start using the scram-jet engine from Mk2 expansion as well, I build a SR-71 style craft with (cheated and used a KW rocketry nose cone that has a max temp of 3500 and some radiators) where my main problem is with the plane going so fast that a small degree of up will eventually cause it to have apoapsis of almost 1000 km from an almost level flight. I also use the Scram-jet (really ramjet engines) from Praska Aeroworks to get up fast enough to really get some thrust from the Mk2 expansion scram-jet.

9 hours ago, Titan 3000 said:

You should try to start using the scram-jet engine from Mk2 expansion as well, I build a SR-71 style craft with (cheated and used a KW rocketry nose cone that has a max temp of 3500 and some radiators) where my main problem is with the plane going so fast that a small degree of up will eventually cause it to have apoapsis of almost 1000 km from an almost level flight. I also use the Scram-jet (really ramjet engines) from Praska Aeroworks to get up fast enough to really get some thrust from the Mk2 expansion scram-jet.

Well, that's what you get from hitting near escape velocities. I dislike the Mk2 Expansion scramjet because I can never get enough speed to use it properly, and when I do the plane explodes because I forget the radiators. I'll try Aeroworks and see if their engines can produce enough thrust.

What altitude do you fly at? I have to fly at about 35 km up in order to keep from overheating as well as running the radiators. I have many on the scramjet equipped plane. The Aeroworks engines cut out at about mach 6 in speed. Also the shock cone intakes are better for high speed flight than the other ones.

I have another SR-71 like craft (called SR-72) with one Praska Scram-jet on the tail that can get up to mach 5 sometimes so two could go faster. Just don't forget the radiators, they can save you from exploding. Good fun building.

On 7/10/2016 at 3:02 PM, Titan 3000 said:

What altitude do you fly at? I have to fly at about 35 km up in order to keep from overheating as well as running the radiators. I have many on the scramjet equipped plane. The Aeroworks engines cut out at about mach 6 in speed. Also the shock cone intakes are better for high speed flight than the other ones.

I have another SR-71 like craft (called SR-72) with one Praska Scram-jet on the tail that can get up to mach 5 sometimes so two could go faster. Just don't forget the radiators, they can save you from exploding. Good fun building.

I fly at under 28 km because the airbreathing engines don't go higher, and there's no oxidizer in this variant. I don't often use radiators so my speed is limited to anywhere under 1200 m/s.

When I fly at 35 km up I still use atmospheric engines. the key is using the shock cone intakes which operate equally at any speed.

You will always be limited in speed without radiators. clipping can help with appearances so as to not look ugly.

have you looked at Praska yet?

15 minutes ago, Titan 3000 said:

When I fly at 35 km up I still use atmospheric engines. the key is using the shock cone intakes which operate equally at any speed.

You will always be limited in speed without radiators. clipping can help with appearances so as to not look ugly.

have you looked at Praska yet?

Yes, and its Prakasa, and its on my list. There's still some more mods I'm working with. I'll take the shock cone advice into consideration, as that is something I wasn't sure of.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.