Best Flight Simulator?

Sky Visitor

• 2 years later...

It depends how good your computer is and where you go, so, it's Microsoft Flight Simulator, but if you want to spend a lot of money, than get ProFlightSimulator, but ProFlightSimulator Demo is still pretty much the same as the regular version of ProFlightSimulator except it doesn't have as much planes (as in three or four which is amazing), so, ProFlightSimulator.

Edited by CDK

Depends on what you aim for.

I guess with regards to system simulation (for example of the board electronics/hydraulics/computers of large planes) I would definitely recommend FSX together with some of the available commercial addons.

If it is about system simulation of moder combat planes (like the A10-C, the flying computer), I would recommend DCS (although in this case I would also ecommend a good HOTAS with many buttons/switches/hats)

It depends how good your computer is and where you go, so, it's Microsoft Flight Simulator, but if you want to spend a lot of money, than get ProFlightSimulator, but ProFlightSimulator Demo is still pretty much the same as the regular version of ProFlightSimulator except it doesn't have as much planes (as in three or four which is amazing), so, ProFlightSimulator.

Proflightsimulator is FlightGear.

FYI Flightgear is released under the GPL license.

Right now my simulation of choice for civil planes is X-plane 10. I was FSX user for many years but I finally made a switch. With few payware addons I`m having a blast - so far my most realistic and "professional" experience in flight sims.

And for modern military planes and helicopters there is only one answer imo - DCS World. I got almost all modules for it and I`m loving all of em.

For WWII its propably new Il-2 sim, but I haven't tried it yet.

I have FSX, but haven't spent too much time with it because my investment in FS9 is so high.

But whichever one you choose, I recommend the following: FSTerrain, (or a terrain package from the SRTM space missions), FSTraffic, FSPassengers, and the scenery/BGLs (usually available for free) of the airports you fly to the most.

Then go and grab the aircraft you want. PMDG are awesome, but the (now abandoned and totally free) Project OpenSky birds are also excellent.

The're totally different except they both have the same menu.

mmmm. They are not 'totally different' and they have the same menu because it IS flightgear rebranded...

This has been going on since 2010, and you can go on the flightgear forums or search the net for more info. Personaly I consider this 'Proflightsimulator' a scam although they are legally entitled to do what they are doing due to the permissive license as long as they also release the source code. I have been a flightgear user for 10 years mate, stuff likes this angers me a little...

To respond to the OP: Best flightsim on windows that are currently still developped are prepar3d (it is fsx but now developped by lockheed martin) and xplane. If like me you are on linux there is flightgear and xplane. Xplane is a lot easier to get going (and looks better) although unlike flightgear it isnt free. Flightgear also runs on windows,mac and freebsd.

Edited by merlinux

I love FSX. The range of free addons for it is unbeatable. You can download like 95% of all aircraft of all airlines (or air forces). You can also get custom sceneries to modify airports and cities to have an even more realistic simulation. This game will always stay on my HDD. :D

If I want some action, then I grab the good old IL-2 1946, and hunt some B-17s and Mustangs with my BF-109 to defend my homeland (this is one of the few games which doesn't only include the major nations of the WWII, but a lot more). :D This game offers various missions, like intercepting a V-1 flying bomb, or ground attack missions. And you can also adjust the level of realism, from a relatively arcade gameplay to a very professional simulation. And by simulation, I mean perfect cockpit views, damaged aircraft parts, leaking fuel, bullet ballistics, carrier landings, etc. :) Also, the game includes an easy-to-use mission designer, which is very handy.

Edited by jmiki8

I liked X-Plane for the ability to build a plane and fly it. Too hard to do in FSX. Also, in FSX planes fly like on rails, just try landing with chase view: you'll see it keeps any pitch like fixed. This is impossible in X-Plane, as it gets some turbulence and is always floating in air. With good models with realistic wing profiles you can get proper stalls. Nevertheless MSFS were good to learn aviation basics. X-Plane always had a harder to use UI.

Edited by Kulebron

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.