Contract Configurator: Art Assistance Requested

nightingale

Calling all artists!

I'm working on a change in Contract Configurator that affects how contracts are offered in mission control (details here if you're interested).  In short, the contracts are grouped by "type" (whether that is a stock contract type or contract pack).  I use the contract agent logos for the group headings, so it ends up looking something like this:

KBnd8tL.png

The problem is that the stock contracts don't have a good logo (with a few exceptions like World-Firsts). So I'm looking for one or more artists that are willing to help me out to make some logos for the stock contract types.  The contracts are:

• Collect Science (currently using R&D as a decent placeholder)
  • Exploration
  • Grand Tour
  • Part Test
  • Flag Planting
  • Rescue and Recovery
  • Asteroid Recovery
  • Base Construction
  • ISRU
  • Satellites
  • Stations
  • Surveys
  • Tourism
  • World-Firsts Achievements (this one has a good logo already)

For each of these I need two images -  256x160 and 64x40 (typically it's the same image, but doesn't have to be as long as they have consistent elements).

So, anyone willing to help out here?

On 7/9/2016 at 3:32 PM, nightingale said:

Calling all artists!

I'm working on a change in Contract Configurator that affects how contracts are offered in mission control (details here if you're interested).  In short, the contracts are grouped by "type" (whether that is a stock contract type or contract pack).  I use the contract agent logos for the group headings, so it ends up looking something like this:

The problem is that the stock contracts don't have a good logo (with a few exceptions like World-Firsts). So I'm looking for one or more artists that are willing to help me out to make some logos for the stock contract types.

OK, here is what I came up with, I only edited some images I did not create them.  Use whichever (or none of them) for the contracts. I have sent a message to forum user @Enceos to ask for permission to use his images. He created the Exploration, Part Test, Satellite, Stations and Collect Science images. The Grand Tour comes from a poster released by NASA. The plant flag comes straight from KSP and the Asteroid Redirect is from someone called Alex Akins that gave us permission to "do whatever you want with it."

• Collect Science (currently using R&D as a decent placeholder)
    • Research
  • Exploration
    • Exploration
  • Grand Tour
    • Grand Tour
  • Part Test
    • Part Testing
  • Flag Planting
    • Plant Flag
  • Rescue and Recovery
  • Asteroid Recovery
    • Asteroid Redirect
  • Base Construction
  • ISRU
  • Satellites
    • Satellite
  • Stations
    • Station
  • Surveys
  • Tourism
  • World-Firsts Achievements (this one has a good logo already)

I personally did very little work on this, so please DO NOT feel like you need to use any of these. Ideally, someone with skills like @Enceos could create a package for all of them so there is more consistency throughout.

@nightingale @pap1723 If my icons strike your fancy feel free to use them :)

Some might find them too simplistic, but that was the plan. They're actually very easy to make. I stirred them up in under 3 hours. I'm currently on a creative burnout, but can give shape to any of your sketches and make them look like a part of the set.

@pap1723 - Those look great!  I'm concerned how well the grand tour one will scale.  Can you provide an original without the text (or provide in a format with layer info) so that I can potentially move/remove the text for the smaller version of the icon?

@Enceos - I love your work, and the minimalist style actually really appeals to me.  If you're interested in filling some blanks I'd be very grateful.  I'm currently sitting in an airport between flights, so I can't provide sketches at the moment (but I'd be happy to if that's all that's required).

So out of what's left:

• Base Construction - Maybe something like the stock base icon (I don't even know what that is, looks like a truck of some kind to me).  Or something like the MKS module should be fairly well known by players (I'd want to get @RoverDude's blessing if that's the way we go.
  • Rescue & Recovery - A MK1 pod that looks somehow broken.  Maybe debris coming off it?  Or perhaps an icon version of the shocked/scared Kerbal face?
  • ISRU - A drill, something similar to the stock one, perhaps
  • Surveys - This one is a little trickier.  On Kerbin survey is synonymous with planes, but that's not the case for other planets.  Maybe a globe with a flag on it (sounds more like flag planting).  A global with a couple of the science icons "orbiting" it (too complex?)
  • Tourism - I think I'll use pap1723's flag planting as inspiration and do something with the stock tourist crew icons.

Even if you're willing to do just one or two of the above it'd be a huge, huge help.

6 minutes ago, nightingale said:

@pap1723 - Those look great!  I'm concerned how well the grand tour one will scale.  Can you provide an original without the text (or provide in a format with layer info) so that I can potentially move/remove the text for the smaller version of the icon?

@Enceos - I love your work, and the minimalist style actually really appeals to me.  If you're interested in filling some blanks I'd be very grateful.  I'm currently sitting in an airport between flights, so I can't provide sketches at the moment (but I'd be happy to if that's all that's required).

So out of what's left:

• Base Construction - Maybe something like the stock base icon (I don't even know what that is, looks like a truck of some kind to me).  Or something like the MKS module should be fairly well known by players (I'd want to get @RoverDude's blessing if that's the way we go.
  • Rescue & Recovery - A MK1 pod that looks somehow broken.  Maybe debris coming off it?  Or perhaps an icon version of the shocked/scared Kerbal face?
  • ISRU - A drill, something similar to the stock one, perhaps
  • Surveys - This one is a little trickier.  On Kerbin survey is synonymous with planes, but that's not the case for other planets.  Maybe a globe with a flag on it (sounds more like flag planting).  A global with a couple of the science icons "orbiting" it (too complex?)
  • Tourism - I think I'll use pap1723's flag planting as inspiration and do something with the stock tourist crew icons.

Even if you're willing to do just one or two of the above it'd be a huge, huge help.

I have both sizes of all of the flags that I posted, so I can send those to you. What is the easiest way to do that? For the survey, my idea was something like a planet with a magnifying glass over it and a waypoint in the magnifying glass on the globe? Something like this:

global-search-icon.jpg

Edited by pap1723

Just now, 5thHorseman said:

@pap1723 I like all of yours (except the flag one as it's not stylized like the rest) but this one in particular is absolutely awesome:

• Asteroid Recovery
    • Asteroid Redirect

I agree with you about the Flag one. I would say the Grand Tour as well. If some people with really good skills like @RoverDude and @Enceos can stylize the rest to be similar, it would be MUCH better!

@Enceos - Those are terrific!  I'll double check them against the background in mission control when I get back home (I fly tomorrow), but I think it should be good (from memory I think it's #CCCCCC, so it's pretty light).

Now i have to ask...  with @RoverDude covering off Base Construction and ISRU, would you be willing to revisit Grant Tour, Tourism and Flag Planting so we can have a consistent look and feel across the board?

@Enceos - I prefer the second one, but don't like the yellow flag.  What about a smaller version of the KSP logo (ie. without the text)?

Great work, as always.

EDIT: I think it's fine without the extra addition of a lander.

Edited by nightingale

@Enceos & @RoverDude - I'm going to be releasing the update for Contract Configurator on Friday, are you guys able to get the outstanding ones done for Thursday?  If not, I'll just put them into the next release of Contract Configurator.  The ones that I have marked as outstanding are:

• Base Construction - RoverDude
  • ISRU - RoverDude
  • Grand Tour - Enceos (I assume from the last post on it that you still want to do some more work on this one?)
  • Tourism - Enceos

I'll likely start integrating the ones that have been done over the next couple of days.  Really appreciate all the work that's been put into this so far!

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.