Issue with implementing Custom Engine Sounds

I'm trying to create a sound mod for KSP, aptly named JetSounds, which replaces stock jet engine sounds with that of some real-life counterparts. In addition, I'm trying learn the ropes of creating a proper ModuleManager patch while I'm at it.

I've created custom soundfiles for my mod in Audacity, exported them as .wav files, and placed them into my JetSounds folder in GameData. The folder arrangement looks like this: GameData/JetSounds/Sounds/(soundfiles).

Afterwards, I threw together a quick ModuleManager patch to integrate these soundfiles ingame. So far, I've only worked on the J-X4 "Whiplash" engine. Here's the code for my patch:

//J-X4 "Whiplash" Sound Rework Patch for "JetSounds"
@PART[turboFanEngine]:NEEDS[JetSounds]
{
    @EFFECTS
    {
        @running_thrust
        {
            @AUDIO
            {
                clip = JetSounds/Sounds/RR_Olympus_Running_High
                volume = 0.0 0.0
                volume = 0.3 0.2
                volume = 0.5 0.4
                volume = 0.7 0.9
                volume = 1.0 1.1
                pitch = 0.0 0.8
                pitch = 1.0 1.4
                loop = true
            }
        }
        @running_turbine
        {
            @AUDIO
            {
                clip = JetSounds/Sounds/RR_Olympus_Running_Low
                volume = 0.0 0.7
                volume = 0.5 1.0
                volume = 0.7 0.7 //Point at which the afterburner crackle starts to set in.
                volume = 0.8 0.3
                volume = 1.0 0.2
                pitch = 0.0 0.8
                pitch = 0.05 0.8
                pitch = 1.0 1.2
                loop = true
            }
        }
        @engage
        {
            @AUDIO
            {
                clip = JetSounds/Sounds/RR_Olympus_Startup
                volume = 2.0
                pitch = 2.0
            }
        }
        @disengage
        {
            @AUDIO
            {
                clip = JetSounds/Sounds/RR_Olympus_Shutdown
                volume = 2.0
                pitch = 2.0
            }
        }
    }
}

My problem is that the new soundfiles for "running_turbine" and "running_thrust" are clearly audible ingame, yet the soundfiles for "engage" and "disengage" won't play.

It's not that they're too quiet to hear ingame: I've tried turning up their respective volumes, both in Audacity and in the patch above, but to no avail. I'd also like to mention that I'm using vanilla KSP, aside from ModuleManager and my JetSounds mod.

What can I do to fix this? Am I doing something wrong with the arrangement of folders in JetSounds, or is there a flaw in my patch? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Hi, i may be a little off here and just a touch rusty , I've just checked the cfg's and most if not all the disengage and engage effects for all engines are simple sound_vent_medium or sound_vent_soft and I'm wondering if your effects are outside the time range allowed for that clip part, after all as stock  it is just that hiss/bang when you press the stage button.
  Also I've  noticed that having sound_ RR_Olympus_Startup   instead of just RR_Olympus_Startup can be what is required, there are some rules about where and when sound_ should be the prefix but for the life of me i can't find them or remember them, (senior weekend) I also have an inkling that what you are really after is the spool up and spool down effects rather than engage and disengage

Edited by SpannerMonkey(smce)
further though, just one :P

19 hours ago, SpannerMonkey(smce) said:

Hi, i may be a little off here and just a touch rusty , I've just checked the cfg's and most if not all the disengage and engage effects for all engines are simple sound_vent_medium or sound_vent_soft and I'm wondering if your effects are outside the time range allowed for that clip part, after all as stock  it is just that hiss/bang when you press the stage button.

I doubt the length of the soundfile affects whether it can be played ingame or not, because I've seen other mods use sound clips up to about 30 seconds long for startup and shutdown sound effects (a great example of which is the new Kerbal Rotor Expansion mod and its sound effects), and my longest sound clip is just about 26 seconds long. Regardless, I've tried compressing each of them down to around 10 seconds in length, and then even further down to about 5 seconds, but neither of these worked ingame. 

Also I've  noticed that having sound_ RR_Olympus_Startup   instead of just RR_Olympus_Startup can be what is required, there are some rules about where and when sound_ should be the prefix but for the life of me i can't find them or remember them, (senior weekend)

I added the "sound_" prefix to both my startup and shutdown soundfiles, and subsequently updated their names in the patch config, but that didn't work either. 

I also have an inkling that what you are really after is the spool up and spool down effects rather than engage and disengage

It's not the spool-up or spool-down effects I'm after, since they are heard when the engine is throttled when currently running. I'm specifically trying to implement replacement sounds for engine startups and shutdowns: the "engage" and "disengage" categories respectively.

UPDATE: After a few hours of trial-and-error with my ModuleManager patch, I've finally solved my problem with the Startup and Shutdown Sound Effects.

APPARENTLY, the fix was simple enough that all I needed to do was delete the "volume = 2.0" tag under the "engage" and "disengage" code in the ModuleManager patch. :huh:

My guess on this issue is that editing the volume values specifically for the "engage" and "disengage" modules to a value above 1.0 tends to break the soundfiles entirely. Who would've thought?

Anyways, thank you very much for your help in narrowing down my possible problem options, Spanner. I greatly appreciate it.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.