Parachutes snap out of pod. Please Help! [SOLVED]

Hey guys I am having problems with my parachute;.;, the base gets pulled out of the pod during deployment, sometimes it even snaps out. Does anyone know the cause and possibly the solution for this problem?

Problem

• This issue was related with Kerbal Joint Reinforcement, as it sets joint stiffnesses based on the approximate connected area.

Solution

• To solve this I had to Cheat a little bit, it was solved by adding a large mesh to the part and removing the Mesh Renderer in unity.

Thanks to ferram4 for the solution.

Edited by RaptorHunterMz
Problem solved

On 7/12/2016 at 7:19 AM, RaptorHunterMz said:

Hey guys I am having problems with my parachute;.;, the base gets pulled out of the pod during deployment, sometimes it even snaps out. Does anyone know the cause and possibly the solution for this problem?

Problem

• This issue was related with Kerbal Joint Reinforcement, as it sets joint stiffnesses based on the approximate connected area.

Solution

• To solve this I had to Cheat a little bit, it was solved by adding a large mesh to the part and removing the Mesh Renderer in unity.

Thanks to ferram4 for the solution.

Hey, @RaptorHunterMz, I have exactly this issue with one chute of two, both with the same (as in literally the same mesh) base.  I've tried adding extra mesh objects, but I'm not getting anywhere.  So, questions.  :-) 

But first, gratuitous picture of the issue (I do have a shot with the right click menu for the part open, but it's a horrible and dark shot);

apJoTKI.png

The undrawn mesh, is that tagged as a mesh collider?  How big should it be?  Does it need to be any particular shape?

I suppose I could ask Ferram4 as well, but he's probably busy, and this thread is already started for this exact issue.  So I'm happy for answers from anyone in the know who happens to be watching the thread.  :-)

PS: I did confirm it doesn't happen without KJR installed.  But fat chance of getting the craft to Duna without either KJR or hyper-edit.  And I added an extra mesh in the rough shape/size as the base part, both as and not as a collider.  No go so far.

And, well, framing the question well enough to ask, leads to obvious avenues of investigation, and fixed.

Just a mesh, no render, no collider needed.  Larger than the part.  I just copied the part mesh, removed the render from it, and stretched it a bit and it's now happy.

9GG6INA.png

On 20/07/2016 at 1:40 AM, TiktaalikDreaming said:

And, well, framing the question well enough to ask, leads to obvious avenues of investigation, and fixed.

Just a mesh, no render, no collider needed.  Larger than the part.  I just copied the part mesh, removed the render from it, and stretched it a bit and it's now happy.

9GG6INA.png

The best option is to create a Cube or a Tetrahedron, I don't know how the Unity engine processes invisible meshes, but I think it's best not to have a complex mesh that is no getting rendered.

3 hours ago, RaptorHunterMz said:

The best option is to create a Cube or a Tetrahedron, I don't know how the Unity engine processes invisible meshes, but I think it's best not to have a complex mesh that is no getting rendered.

Yeah I switched to a cube. :-) 

The shown example was just for my testing.  Pretty sure if it's doing anything to Ferram's code it's still calculating at least vertex positions.  I used the existing mesh so I had some idea of required extra scale.  eg: does it get better at 3x or 5x the original mesh size?

It does seem to work nicely as a mitigation.  The issue still happens under extreme loads (so far).  But if I can get by with working under most conditions, I'll be very happy.  I need bigger cubes!

Edited by TiktaalikDreaming
No longer "typing" on phone on bus

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.