Pressing harder on the keys should change attitude faster

7 minutes ago, THX1138 said:

A much needed UI fix would rotate my craft more quickly when I press the keyboard keys harder because clearly the situation is quite urgent.

Where can I vote this for stock?

Also, license this technology to desk chair makers, so when we lean over more, the car/plane/rocket turns harder. And TV makers, so when we look away, the pretty blonde white female will actually reconsider walking down into that dark alley/basement/wooded area.

13 minutes ago, THX1138 said:

A much needed UI fix would rotate my craft more quickly when I press the keyboard keys harder because clearly the situation is quite urgent.

On the off chance that this is a serious suggestion: Keyboard keys are digital, not analog. They cannot tell how hard you are pressing, it's either on or off.

3 minutes ago, Red Iron Crown said:

On the off chance that this is a serious suggestion: Keyboard keys are digital, not analog. They cannot tell how hard you are pressing, it's either on or off.

Ugh! Pessimist! Away with you, naysayer! I'm not interested in the petty technical hurdles that must be overcome. Overcome them we will!

7 minutes ago, Red Iron Crown said:

Seriously?  You're using a digital keyboard?  Everyone knows tube keyboards type the best.

Edited by klgraham1013

6 minutes ago, klgraham1013 said:

I was disappointed when no one utilized the pressure sensitive buttons on the dual shock 2. (?)  A great hidden feature that had potential.

Who hasn't smashed a button as though the game should recognize your authority?

I didn't know this was a feature on any controller until I stumbled on it in the rhythm game, Mad Maestro.  It requires pressing buttons with the specified pressure at the correct timing as directed by the symbols on the screen.  Not an extraordinary game by any means but when the tutorial told me to press the buttons harder or softer, I was surprised.  It was very difficult to do 'light' presses consistently when also trying to keep up with frantic timing.

You do realize that dedicated controllers exist which enable you to have a fine degree of control over your craft's turny-ness?

On the other hand, having an analog keyboard does sound like something that can be marketed. Imagine the frustrated YouTube commenter, smashing on the keys and suddenly types IN BOLD.

1 hour ago, klgraham1013 said:

I was disappointed when no one utilized the pressure sensitive buttons on the dual shock 2. (?)  A great hidden feature that had potential.

Gran Turismo did.

Also with the right software u can use a PS controller on PC with fully customisable functionality. Have done this in the past with KSP to great effect, but someone kept nicking the controller back to play on the console :huh:so I'm back to keys.

What about screaming? For computers equipped with a microphone (laptops, webcams) you could measure the sound level.

Spoiler

The documentary "Independence Day 2" shows right in the opening scene how insufficient thrust of a space tug can be overcome by the pilot screaming at the top of his lungs. So we know this is realistic behavior.

Edited by Kerbart
Encapsulated spoiler on Rocketeer's request

If you want to rotate your craft more quickly, you just need to push the keys repeatedly, not harder.  This is effective.  I know 'cause when I do this to call an elevator, the elevator will arrive more quickly with repeated button pushing. 

Should most defiantly be stock.  I assume Squad will also provide free new keyboards when they introduce this feature.  Should have been included since version -1.0.0.0.0.1.

Success! I have invented this device.  I call it a "Flight Stick".  I shall charge $300 for it even though it's only really worth about $50 and tell people it has "higher quality" potentiometers.

3 minutes ago, Alshain said:

Success! I have invented this device.  I call it a "Flight Stick".  I shall charge $300 for it even though it's only really worth about $50 and tell people it has "higher quality" potentiometers.

I'll take four! They work with feet, right?

Original Street Fighter game had rubber pads for the buttons that registered the amount of pressure applied.  Kids would be smashing those buttons with everything they had, too bad it only had three levels of sensitivity. 

Maybe pressure sensitive keyboards might be a thing we all could use to indicate the urgency for Jebediah to pitch up or bank right.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.