Completion of contract - recycling

I'm just trying to get my head around the fulfilment of 'hardware' contracts and whether i get penalised for recycling the 'base' for other things immediately after the completion .... let me explain 

An example of this type of contract is: Build a base on planet /moon  X that supports Y kerbals has a .... etc etc to be handed over to the <insert non memorable name> corporation on completion.

Now in this example it's easy to use it to build a Kerbal transporter with a docking port that then just undocks from the 'base' takes off and is used for other game play. Effectively the contract has paid for the new hardware which i was going to build anyway plus you get the profit you would have got as well. A win - win?

Edited by RonaldRayGun

No penalties. It's up to the player to decide if such strategies are a smart way to make contracts pay for what you want to launch anyway, or a despicable use of loopholes. In a way it would be good if such contract would invalidate access to said craft after fulfilling (and receiving payment of) the contract, and I'm sure “there’s a mod for that™”

But until that mod is stock I will happily exploit said loopholes :D

40 minutes ago, RonaldRayGun said:

I'm just trying to get my head around the fulfilment of 'hardware' contracts and whether i get penalised for recycling the 'base' for other things immediately after the completion .... let me explain 

An example of this type of contract is: Build a base on planet /moon  X that supports Y kerbals has a .... etc etc to be handed over to the <insert non memorable name> corporation on completion.

Now in this example it's easy to use it to build a Kerbal transporter with a docking port that then just undocks from the 'base' takes off and is used for other game play. Effectively the contract has paid for the new hardware which i was going to build anyway plus you get the profit you would have got as well. A win - win?

If the base you leave behind includes the stuff they asked for, why not?

Building a transport using the money they gave you is quite literally what they are paying you for -- transportation.  It has to get there somehow.  It's not even an exploit, the amount they pay you doesn't change, you just use your own resources more efficiently.

Edited by Corona688

Those are great investments. In a single 600k funds contract (ore return from Minmus), I could launch 2 mining outposts on Mun and Minmus, then a space station with fuel storage and Kerbal space and a tiny 4 seats lander, around both the moons, and now the tourist contracts only cost me the fuel to get them around Kerbin, because my launchers are reusable... I just pack the ship with every stranded Kerbal I find on the way and train / recruit them basically for free.

Some of those stations were also required by contracts, and the Kerbin one also paid for an extension... So I have basically had my whole tourist / mining operation paid for, and now it's ready to make money...

My "base" contracts never have any "to be handed over ... on completion" wording -- are you running mods that add that? The corporation that funds my bases only buys one seat in my station, and access to the lab. The rest is mine to do with as I please.

The game is weird about that anyway.  You can scan an entire planet from polar orbit in a few seconds.  So I just assume that they've done what they needed with it by the time the contract is fulfilled, and that as a space-agency working for a non-space-agency, we always retained control.  This is supported by the satellite-moving contracts which buy use of existing satellites and want you to move them.

11 hours ago, bewing said:

My "base" contracts never have any "to be handed over ... on completion" wording -- are you running mods that add that? The corporation that funds my bases only buys one seat in my station, and access to the lab. The rest is mine to do with as I please.

This, record was base in kerbin orbit, landed on Mun, solar orbit, Ike orbit and Duna landing. 

It ended up landed on Ike.

Note that if you reuse the tug you have to undock station too fill the new base requirement. It's serious poophole if use kas. An kerbiloid having an old solar panel in inventory and it fails 

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.