• 3
Sign in to follow this  
flaming pineapple

Mouse supported on PS4?

Question

19 answers to this question

Recommended Posts

  • 1

While the console does have mouse support, KSP does not incorporate this as an input method (on consoles) at present.

Edited by Squelch
Clarified target platform for literal readers :)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 0
20 hours ago, klesh said:

I recall the answer beng "no", but I cant find it on Flying Tiger's twitter.  

Here they discuss if you want better fidelity with the mouse cursor, ksp supports motion sensors/gyro.  

 

A guy who replies to that seems to think no as well, might be in the know.  

https://mobile.twitter.com/ftegames/status/752927023790641152

LOL use the pad motion sensors. Oh man that made me laugh!

 

19 hours ago, Squelch said:

While the console does have mouse support, KSP does not incorporate this as an input method at present.

Call me stupid but KSP does not support mouse input??

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 0
Just now, Taipan said:

@Majorjim KSP on PC does support mouse input.  As of now PS4 KSP does not support mouse input. 

Do you know why? I read that Flying Tiger disabled it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 0

@Majorjim I think that is a question for Flying Tiger.  Personally, I'v seen a lot of complaints here about button controls and lack of customization.  This is the first version of the game on PS4.  There will always be room for improvements, as with every game.  If I had to make a prediction, I would say we could see things like support for mouse input on PS4, button customization on PS4, etc. in future releases.  However, it does blow my mind that I can't invert the Y-axis.  That just seems silly.  But for a person who played KSP on PC at version 0.20 and then my computer crashed and couldn't play KSP until now on PS4, I am really happy with the product.  Additionally, while the controller button layout is challenging, for using what Flying Tiger have available with the amount of buttons on the PS4 controller, I have found it pretty intuitive and easy to use after only playing for 4-5 hours.  There are bugs, as there always are on first releases.  People just need to relax and enjoy the game.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 0
19 hours ago, Majorjim said:

Call me stupid but KSP does not support mouse input??

I won't call you stupid, but I have clarified my original assertion.

While the PlayStation 4 does have mouse and keyboard input support, not all titles utilise it.
Xbox One does not currently have mouse input support, and keyboard support is partial.

The differences between the two platforms might give an indication as to some of the rationale behind it not being implemented at this time.

Edited by Squelch

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 0
On 7/15/2016 at 3:10 AM, Squelch said:

While the PlayStation 4 does have mouse and keyboard input support, not all titles utilise it.
Xbox One does not currently have mouse input support, and keyboard support is partial.

This issue came up during the Das Valdez+EJ_SA console stream from the Intrepid musuem, I think when NathanKell was with them, and yes, the answer is that Unity doesn't support mouse-keyboard on the PS4.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 0
On 7/14/2016 at 5:55 AM, Taipan said:

@Majorjim I think that is a question for Flying Tiger.  Personally, I'v seen a lot of complaints here about button controls and lack of customization.  This is the first version of the game on PS4.  There will always be room for improvements, as with every game.  If I had to make a prediction, I would say we could see things like support for mouse input on PS4, button customization on PS4, etc. in future releases.  However, it does blow my mind that I can't invert the Y-axis.  That just seems silly.  But for a person who played KSP on PC at version 0.20 and then my computer crashed and couldn't play KSP until now on PS4, I am really happy with the product.  Additionally, while the controller button layout is challenging, for using what Flying Tiger have available with the amount of buttons on the PS4 controller, I have found it pretty intuitive and easy to use after only playing for 4-5 hours.  There are bugs, as there always are on first releases.  People just need to relax and enjoy the game.

The controls are so tedious and the text is so small that I'm having a really tough time enjoying the game. Every time I sit down to play I grown inwardly and pick something else. I want to like it, I want to play it, but there's going to be have to be some major changes, to make it playable on a console.

We can't apply pressure on Flying Tiger, I think the pressure needs to come from the top. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 0

I really wish they would implement it, considering how little change they've made to the UI. It should be a natural match.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 0
1 hour ago, Lord Maim said:

I really wish they would implement it, considering how little change they've made to the UI. It should be a natural match.

 

Sounds like one of those things the KSP devs are waiting on the Unity engine to implement.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 0
16 minutes ago, Lord Maim said:

What do you mean Klesh? The version that the PS4 uses?

Unity3D is the game engine KSP is built on. There are times where a bug or a problem in KSP is due to the Unity engine not supporting something.  

An example is the the way wheels work (or don't) in the current game.  Previously, KSP used an older version of the Unity engine.  In that old version, there was a module that KSP used for its wheels.  It worked pretty good.

KSP upgraded to Unity5.x which added 64bit support and a bunch of other things that were a benefit.  One of the issues was that old wheels module no longer worked.  It wasn't KSP's fault, but rather the engine it's built on. So a new wheels module had to be written, and it has a bunch of issues with it you can read about on these very forums.  They are going to update to an even newer version of Unity to help resolve the issue.

 

Another issue with Unity is that when games written on it are ported to PS4, there is no mouse support for the porting.  I am not a developer, this is purely my understanding of what I've read.   I don't know if Squad/FTE could write their own code to port mouse functionality or if they have to wait for Unity itself to support it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 0

Interesting. I didn't know that, knowing very little of the port process in Unity. That's a shame. Using a mouse in KSP is second nature to me, so it would certainly help with setting maneuver nodes when time is at a premium.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 0

Mouse support for KSP PS4 is essential. The controller is a slow and inexact way to move a mouse pointer, and it's really sucking fun out of this game.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 0

An alternative would be to get a UI designer with console experience to completely rework the control layouts. As for maneuver nodes, a method to switch between the three axis (normal, radial, and prograde/retrograde), using the analog sticks to add/subtract Delta-V from the node, sounds (in theory) like a good idea.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 0

hey so did they ever update this? Just bought the game its going to kind of ruin it its going to kinda be like playing old mortal kombat with all the combos

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 0

ps4 is television not computer 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 0

Does ksp Xbox one support mouse because the Xbox does support keyboard and mouse as proven in minecraft also everything I have read is about a year old, has anything changed??

Edited by Spacemanonthemoon!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Answer this question...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this