Can I reuse the same ore scanning satellite and keep the overlays?

@THX1138: Seriously, I think that what @Tex_NL is hinting at is that one of the best teachers of KSP is simply trial and error. I've learned more (wow, that didn't work too well... dang, that was a big failure) that way than I have by watching YouTube videos or reading the forum.

Before playing your game, make a save file. Test the theory...the procedure... or whatever else you're interested in. If it works, no problem, then go replicate it in your original game. If it doesn't work, then you simply do not do it in your regular saved game. I've been playing KSP since 2012 and still use the trial and error method.

You need a the scanner to activate the overlay. You won't have to scan again but there's no way to see the overlay without that part in orbit. Once it is scanned you can be in any orbit to activate it (with the scanner part)

11 hours ago, Cerberus738 said:

You need a the scanner to activate the overlay. You won't have to scan again but there's no way to see the overlay without that part in orbit. Once it is scanned you can be in any orbit to activate it (with the scanner part)

I think you can toggle overlay from the tracking station, so you don't need the part in orbit.

Or even just focusing on a planet when flying a ship, you'll have access to the overlay button.

Unless you're still in 1.0.5, which has a stock bug that none of the tracking station/focusing on a planet can access that button.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.