No Love For Callisto

I know that the Kerbol system isn't the most realistic (1 gas giant, 2 moons for Kerbin) system in the world, but having only 3 main moons seems a bit off for a towering cloud that Jool is. I just want to make the game feel more interesting.

There's a wide open space between Tylo and Bop that constantly makes me irritated. I always feel that the potential for a moon to be there is just too high for there not to be one. It doesn't have to be either flat or lumpy like the other moons; real life Callisto is cratered and rigid and interesting! It would be so fun to see the protector of the inner moons watching silently over the Joolian system!

That's all that I have to say!

Move and change Pol! On Callisto in a few places there are actually these huge rock things. They look very similar to the ones on Callisto! Why does the Mun only have procedural craters? If it ever happens, the new Pol should have them too!

A less bumpy Pol with Moar craters and moved = sorta Callisto-ish moon!

42 minutes ago, tater said:

Jool is slightly smaller than Earth. Just throwing that in as a reality check.

I tend for forget the whole "scale" thing when playing because even the Kerbolverse is so frickin' huge.

"Space is big. Really big. You just won't believe how vastly, hugely, mind-bogglingly big it is. I mean, you may think it's a long way down the road to the chemist, but that's just peanuts to space " - Douglas Adams

2 hours ago, tater said:

Jool is slightly smaller than Earth. Just throwing that in as a reality check.

A second reality check will reveal that the Kerbal system isn't real, and in fact acts exactly like it would if it were ten times larger in every way except the motion of the point masses.

9 minutes ago, Holo said:

A second reality check will reveal that the Kerbal system isn't real, and in fact acts exactly like it would if it were ten times larger in every way except the motion of the point masses.

Actually, it doesn't for quite a lot of reasons, and everything is not scaled up, kerbals and rockets are ~64% size, and scale really screws up atmospheric issues hugely, and atmospheres are not scaled at 1/10th. If everything was scaled at 1/10th, there would be no difference between KSP stock and RSS at all and there would be no difference between playing the two. "Space" if KSP was actually scaled at 1/10th would start at ~10,000m on Kerbin instead of 7X that.

A large problem from a gameplay perspective is that the mini-scale planets combined with oversized rockets (compared to the planet scale) means that gameplay is homogenized. A 240km radius moon (that's what Callisto would be) is just a slightly different colored rock for stock KSP.

As a player, I also find the mini scale much less impressive, visually. I tend to play stock parts at 6.4X, for that reason.

I know, I was just thinking that a "gas giant" the size of Earth is not actually a thing, so expecting an Earth sized body to have 60 moons doesn't strike me as terribly critical, particularly when tiny moons (as all are in KSP) are pretty much all the same.

I'd rather see effort put into making the extant worlds more interesting than making another ball that is a slightly different color, and has nothing else to make it interesting as a spacecraft design problem.

There is a huge open gap between Duna and Jool, why isn't there anything but empty space there?
Maybe a moon/planet should be added between Duna and Jool, at an altitude in the range of 34 917 642 714m to 46 761 053 692m. Just put it in a somewhat eccentric and inclined orbit and make it analogues to Ceres.

1 hour ago, Blaarkies said:

There is a huge open gap between Duna and Jool, why isn't there anything but empty space there?
Maybe a moon/planet should be added between Duna and Jool, at an altitude in the range of 34 917 642 714m to 46 761 053 692m. Just put it in a somewhat eccentric and inclined orbit and make it analogues to Ceres.

That would add alot to the game, but players will start saying it is fake or a hoax and that it doesn't actually exist. Hash, maybe there already is a body in that place, who knows :wink:.

Edited by nikokespprfan

I kinda want this because Callisto looks awesome. The pictures of it make it look like a planetary disco ball :D (or is that just me?)

I feel like at the very least asteroids should spawn around Jool

Edited by Brownhair2

7 hours ago, Blaarkies said:

Could you not, please, bring Dres into this?

On 7/14/2016 at 10:01 PM, Andem said:

Could you not, please, bring Dres into this?

What is a "Dres"? :wink:

Besides that, there is one thing to consider: Many player feel the planets are boring, flat, bland, etc. But that is kind of reality, if most of us see Mars through a pressurized Hitchhiker container, or saw the...what is that desert they filmed the Martian at? Anyway, if it wasn't for the atmosphere and gravity, it becomes hard to tell the difference. So there is a place on Earth that cosplays being Mars, yet none of us are really looking forward to having a month long vacation there. I feel KSP is actually being realistic in how "boring" the planets are(certainly not because of any other reasons :sticktongue:)

My point is, adding new planets is like copying a poster, changing it's color and sticking it in your room...they are all technically different, but somehow all look the same(not criticizing anybody, just revealing my experience of KSP)

Now criticizing!: no, but new ideas(stuff that isn't already in the game).
Imagine Gilly on a solar orbit, Ap just below Jool, Pe near Eve...call it a Commet(it needs much more than that to be interesting).
Or a high gravity world like Eve, but in a highly elliptical orbit could make players wait year just for the super cheap transfer to Jool/Eeloo

Edited by Blaarkies

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.