Your first association after watching the following scene

I remember reading about the so-named "Four Inch Flight" in Gene Kranz's memoir.

Precisely at zero on the clock, there was a great cloud of smoke. Kraft looked startled, and then he leaned forward intently. The TV cameraman momentarily lost track as he panned the camera upward, and, for a few seconds, there was nothing on the screen but a smoky sky. From my position, it looked much like the rockets I had launched from aircraft. I was surprised at how quickly the Redstone had accelerated and moved out of sight.

Then after a few seconds the camera panned down. Although smoke still obscured the launch pad, the vague outline of the Redstone was still there. Kraft's face was incredulous. He stammered for a few seconds, then called out, "Booster, what the hell happened?"

A very Kerbal way for NASA to take one of its first steps.

8 minutes ago, Silavite said:

I remember reading about the so-named "Four Inch Flight" in Gene Kranz's memoir.

A very Kerbal way for NASA to take one of its first steps.

I remember when i first time played KSP in 2012, it was pre-alpha back than good old days BTW :wink: 

I just get used to the game, i played on stock rockets, when i finally get self confidence i tried to make my own rocket based on Redstone rockets, than i want brag about to my older brother, i showed him it, he was impressed, so put Jebediah in it, i pressing space and only decoupler beneath MK1 capsule and and parachute fired!
I later found that i wrongly programmed the ignition/stage sequence :( 
My bro had laughingstock of me because of it, i later founded that NASA had the same problem

So i told that even Von Braun had problem with it, but my make fun of me anyway :D

PS i Wonder how many make mistakes on staging sequence ?

It was an extremely dangerous situation. The Mercury-Redstone had actually lifted off and fell back to the ground, fully fueled, and could have toppled over at any time. If an astronaut had been on board, he would have no way to escape.

3 hours ago, Nibb31 said:

It was an extremely dangerous situation. The Mercury-Redstone had actually lifted off and fell back to the ground, fully fueled, and could have toppled over at any time. If an astronaut had been on board, he would have no way to escape.

Wasn't it the one they considered shooting in order to safely disable?

clearly they messed up their staging. lol at the guy who followed the LES "wow, look at that acceleration!" without recognizing this to be way too fast to be a healthy flight...

btw, the german guy says: "...the abort sensor 18-12-54 prompted the motor to shut down... but the self-destruct mechanism is still loaded and active..."

before that scene the narrator explains this to be a test leading up to manned missions, so luckily no astronaut was inside the capsule during this launch attempt. but having such a dud sitting on the launch pad, unsecured, on one of it's most fragile parts (i.e. nozzle assembly), loaded auto-destruct with unknown status, possibly no chance of savely venting the fuel.... I wouldn't wanna be the first guy to approach this thing... 

1 hour ago, MircoMars said:

clearly they messed up their staging. lol at the guy who followed the LES "wow, look at that acceleration!" without recognizing this to be way too fast to be a healthy flight...

btw, the german guy says: "...the abort sensor 18-12-54 prompted the motor to shut down... but the self-destruct mechanism is still loaded and active..."

before that scene the narrator explains this to be a test leading up to manned missions, so luckily no astronaut was inside the capsule during this launch attempt. but having such a dud sitting on the launch pad, unsecured, on one of it's most fragile parts (i.e. nozzle assembly), loaded auto-destruct with unknown status, possibly no chance of savely venting the fuel.... I wouldn't wanna be the first guy to approach this thing... 

This guy who said "look at that acceleration of this ..." was Chris Kraft :) 

But i always wondering what the German guy saying, thanks :)  

What do you think about my video :D

Edited by Pawelk198604

1 hour ago, Pawelk198604 said:

This guy who said "look at that acceleration of this ..." was Chris Kraft :) 

yeah that guy cussing about those "damn germans" totally oblivious to the fact that his surname points to him being of german descent. "Kraft" translates to power, strength, force...

vOv muricans...

25 minutes ago, MircoMars said:

yeah that guy cussing about those "damn germans" totally oblivious to the fact that his surname points to him being of german descent. "Kraft" translates to power, strength, force...

vOv muricans...

Lol :D 

Hm, is this the same Chris Kraft: http://arstechnica.com/science/2016/07/a-cold-war-mystery-why-did-jimmy-carter-save-the-space-shuttle/  ? Sounds like a good place to be to eventually become a big shot in the space program (when the paperclip guys died/retired/had their past catch up to them).

Note: If I was going to ask Jimmy Carter about any technical/political policy it would be about the decision to not reprocess any spent nuclear fuel.  It still seems a huge mistake, but I don't think any high level political decisions have ever been made by someone more qualified to decide on nuclear power than Jimmy Carter.

On 14.07.2016 at 3:37 PM, MircoMars said:

vOv muricans...

On 14.07.2016 at 4:04 PM, Pawelk198604 said:

Lol :D 

And what do you think about 
This? :D

On July 14, 2016 at 7:37 AM, MircoMars said:

vOv muricans...

We " 'muricans" generally don't actually care about where someone's surname happens to be from, if you weren't born in Germany, you're not a German.

59 minutes ago, tater said:

We " 'muricans" generally don't actually care about where someone's surname happens to be from, if you weren't born in Germany, you're not a German.

unless your ((great)grand)parents were born in... never mind this would derail the topic in a political direction and call a mod to action. who would want that?

45 minutes ago, Mrsupersonic8 said:

Mercury-Redstone 1. The one time the LES didn't do it's job...

But having the launch controllers blame the Germans is out of character, so it's clearly obvious they're playing it up for drama. They probably did panic a bit IRL, though.

Yeah, this is BS dramatization.

They did panic, but in the moment there is no time to act out like that. Also, those meetings, I've been to meetings with a lot of raw emotions out there, never been to a meeting where people talked like that.

My great, great grandfather was in fact from Germany, he arrived in NY in 1848 aboard a sailing ship. He started a farm in Wisconsin, and within a couple years of arrival was using "John" instead of "Johann" (his own choice). Everyone since in that branch of the family is "American" (who happened to have German surnames) except my grandmother who was born in Sweden).

Regardless, Kraft in the drama was referring to, you know, actual Germans (naturalized citizens of the US whose nativity was German) who we scooped up after the war (the story of the US grabbing up German scientists is actually pretty interesting, and I don't think at all "political" from the standpoint of the forum, it's just a cool story). 

I'll agree with pb666 here and say that unless they have a transcript that actually shows Kraft saying it, it's likely nonsense.

Edited by tater

On 18/07/2016 at 4:17 PM, tater said:

I know plenty of Americans who define themselves as Italian or Irish although they have never set foot in those countries.

1 hour ago, Nibb31 said:

I know plenty of Americans who define themselves as Italian or Irish although they have never set foot in those countries.

As someone who has spent 50 years here in 'murica, I might have a few more data points than you do. But maybe you're just vastly more gregarious than I am (not even slightly impossible, lol, I tend to be sort of quiet). :wink: Older people seem to care more, and of course it depends on the context... if you were to ask me specifically about my family's background, then I would discuss it. There are also subcultures where that might be more likely... certain "ethnic" neighborhoods I have lived near have people who think of themselves as Italian-American, even though the last family to live in Italy was a couple generation back (my brother-in-law, for example, his grandparents were that way, he's not that way at all, but he's in his 40s, not an old dude).

Edited by tater

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.