Reentry Effects and Plasma

Do you want squad to turn the feature/mod listed below on?  

70 members have voted

1. 1. Like the poll title/thread title says, should Squad turn the feature on

• Yes
    • No
    • Other/Could Not Care Less - If other say below please

This poll is closed to new votes

Hi folks. I want to make a suggestion that seems simple, and stunningly IS easy to have done! Now to sound like some late night infomercial lol. Do you feel your reentries are lacking something? Do you feel that they could use some more pep? Do you feel that they just simply are NOT realistic enough, especially those of you using the RO mod? Well, have I the solution for you! And for no additional cost the code for it is ALREADY IN THE GAME!!!!!!!! It just has NEVER been turned on!!!! A fellow forum user has located this code and turned it on via a mod. @pizzaoverhead is the user to have located Squads code and generated the mod I speak of, and to you sir, as I said in your thread, you are a god! The mod can be found: 

It was on youtube that I found this mod. KottabosGaming is the channel <is it ok I mention a youtube channel here? and ya know give credit where its due and all that cool and nice stuff?> Since I am unsure on the linking of YouTube channels, I just will leave his name. BUT, lets check this out:

Re-entry as we know it:

n5nRl8l.png

Re-entry as it is with the aforementioned code thats in game and mod that turns this code ON:

znWQsvY.png

I zoomed out to show its length of the plasma trail.

Some other shots, and yes, anything that comes off your ship that is moving fast enough shows the effect:

R9WjJdi.png

XUvDAWc.png

What I keep wondering is, why is such an awesome feature not turned on by Squad? Why are we left with a bland re-entry effect when the coolness is just sitting dormant in the code? I truly, TRULY wish to thank both the folks I mentioned for first finding the code and making a mod that turned the code ON, so, PizzaOverhead, thank you soo much. I also want to thank KottabosGaming for taking the time to review and show off this truly astounding feature turned mod. Thank you!

I now wish to suggest that Squad go ahead and turn this feature on! Lets hear what YOU my dear readers have to say!

Edited by AlamoVampire

That is just gorgeous.

I wonder if they implemented it and just haven't gotten around to testing and polish.  It certainly looks great as it is.  Maybe they are saving it for the supposed graphical overhaul (of course you'd think they would know by now you can't hide stuff from mod developers like that).

It's possible that this generates an unreasonable performance hit - already people on weaker computers report that reentry is among the slowest-running parts of the game. Would be a bad idea to make that area even more demanding.

Still, it could be included as an option in the graphics settings.

Edited by Streetwind

2 minutes ago, Streetwind said:

It's possible that this generates an unreasonable performance hit - already people on weaker computers report that reentry is among the slowest-running parts of the game. Would be a bad idea to make that area even more demanding.

Still, it could be included as an option in the graphics settings.

ive a little LCD read out on my keyboard showing CPU usage and RAM usage, and it stayed normal during all those pictures.

13 hours ago, Streetwind said:

How could re-entry be the slowest part of the game performance wise?

You should be down to all of 3 parts left on your craft. Command pod/Heatshield/Parachute.

I'e downloaded and used the mod mentioned above and saw no performance hit whatsoever and I have a below average PC.

56 minutes ago, Rocket In My Pocket said:

You should be down to all of 3 parts left on your craft. Command pod/Heatshield/Parachute.

I can't tell you why, but I often enough see "ugh, reentry effects kill my FPS!" all over the forums.

Doesn't happen to me either. I suspect it may be people who have to make do with integrated graphics.

Ya I dont get it either. The reentry effects are, at least according to Squelch the same type of thing as rocket exhaust effects, yet complaints about performance hits on launches, where you are the most part heavy yet on landing you are what? A command pod, 1-4 chutes and a heat shield for a max of what 6 parts?

Ahw yiss please. But only if there is an altitude dependency, when I'm flying at 1200 m/s @ 18000 m I do not want to see that trail.. I haven't het tested the mod but it should at least accommodate for that.

6 hours ago, AlamoVampire said:

@Adelaar sadly, at least with the mod <maybe its in the games code?> the moment you are fast enough and have a solid reentry like heat effect going you generate the plasma trail. Yes, even during launch if you go fast enough lol

I thought that was fixed?

v1.1 (2016-07-04)

• Changed re-entry effects to activate only during harsh aerobraking.

I tried out that mod. Was rather surprised at how it appears a bit suddenly, and on a fast enough launch, you kind of end up lasering the KSC. If could behave more like the exhaust smoke of the engines (trailing from it started and whatnot) it would probably look a lot better. Amazing for return screenshots, not so much for take-off ones.

Also:

On 7/14/2016 at 3:46 PM, Rocket In My Pocket said:

Going to Eve or Laythe for one. Especially if you want to come back, or if you're putting base equipment down, you're gonna be a heckuva lot more than 3 parts. That's not even touching on the monstrous shuttles and SSTOs people will make. Sometimes, I'll find myself flying a hundred-part behemoth down to the runway from halfway across the planet. Despite the fact that my potato can handle the higher quality reentry effects, I still keep it on low because it almost melts when I go fast with something big.

52 minutes ago, FungusForge said:

I tried out that mod. Was rather surprised at how it appears a bit suddenly, and on a fast enough launch, you kind of end up lasering the KSC. If could behave more like the exhaust smoke of the engines (trailing from it started and whatnot) it would probably look a lot better. Amazing for return screenshots, not so much for take-off ones.

Also:

Going to Eve or Laythe for one. Especially if you want to come back, or if you're putting base equipment down, you're gonna be a heckuva lot more than 3 parts. That's not even touching on the monstrous shuttles and SSTOs people will make. Sometimes, I'll find myself flying a hundred-part behemoth down to the runway from halfway across the planet. Despite the fact that my potato can handle the higher quality reentry effects, I still keep it on low because it almost melts when I go fast with something big.

Take a look at some videos and pictures in the thread. Real life plasma trails can occur at sea level in something is going fast enough. If you are creating plasma trails on the UP, you are probably going too fast! (not that kerbals are much for efficiency)

Would love this effect to be stock

Edited by Nightside

@Nightside the effect IS stock. Its an extension of the rocket smoke effects. the code is in game, but currently turned off thanks to prior unity and lower end machines having issues. Squelch said, it may get turned on with U5 and how it handles particles, but its a down the road a bit thing for now

1 hour ago, Nightside said:

Take a look at some videos and pictures in the thread. Real life plasma trails can occur at sea level in something is going fast enough. If you are creating plasma trails on the UP, you are probably going too fast! (not that kerbals are much for efficiency)

Oh, I know plasma trails can appear at any altitude, its just that the in-game effect is so long that on my more Kerbal rockets, the suddenly summoned plasma looks as though it should be slicing up the VAB, rather than simply trailing off my ship.

• 1 year later...

I would like to bring this discussion back up. It has been a bit more than a year since I launched this thread, since then KSP has been upgraded and further optimized yet this feature is still not switched on.  I see more and more KSP YouTubers with this mod, can we please finally turn this on in stock?

op 21:06:30

23 minutes ago, Rocket In My Pocket said:

Those that want it will turn it on, those that don't will leave it off.

Yup that's definitely what they should do. Sadly, right now I have a 10-year-old laptop that does NOT EVEN have the performance of a potato, more like a rotten apple. I can barely run KSP fluently in lowest settings and have to keep the part count low (and Ubio Weld would sure as hell help with that but I can't find a download link for a 1.0.2 compatible version), otherwise the lag increases to the point where the game becomes unplayable.

Edited by DualDesertEagle

44 minutes ago, Rocket In My Pocket said:

I can't really see the harm in exposing this as an option in the graphics settings menu.

Those that want it will turn it on, those that don't will leave it off.

Exactly. Since it is already a stock feature (being mod activated is irrelevant) it is very easy for Squad to make it available through the settings menu. We already have similar features to stop the navball from hiding in map view and to disable that horrendous part highlighting in flight.

As others said: Just make it available through settings and everybody will be happy.

Edited by Tex_NL