Exploring the nightsky

lugge

So, the current thread about telescopes has inspired me to give this hobby another try.

Now, when I'm new to something i start googling for hours, but as I like this forum and its users I wanna ask a few questions about astronomy:

• Can someone point me to some beginner guides or books? Something to read to get familiar with this topic?
  • What equipment do I need for starting? What Would be a good beginner equipment, what is absolutely necessary?

How is this all being done? You go out on the fileds, set up your equip, and then? Do you spend hours just on one object?

Yeah, relly newbish questions... I really got no idea what this thing is like...

Regards,

lugge

Edited by lugge

In short, the best thing you could do would be to find people in your area who have the equipment and knowledge about the subject, an astronomy club maybe? There are so many different ways to go about with hobby astronomy, most of them expensive, if you just read other people's opinions online you'll have a hard time getting to what you want. Seeing for your self teaches the most :)

Well, there is a huge stack of books on "practical astronomy", i don't think you'll make a big mistake with just buying one. A good book that gives an overview covers the topics: what things are there to observe (how is the galaxy/universe composed), how are things mapped, (coordinate systems, measurements), our neighborhood, how to observe and document, optical/physical basics, instruments (which ones exist, how do they work), mountings (they are in some cases the most pricey part), technical hints. An extensive part is usually the orientation in the night sky (constellations).

Don't let other's indoctrinate you like "only newton !", "only refractor !" or "only alt/az mounts". Such "tips" are usually useless. I spent a lot of money on useless nonsense until i got what i wanted. Though that's expensive. If you're caught by the hobby you'll probably end up with more than one telescope for different uses.

Astrophotography is the second step, when you've had your first experiences, curses and frustrations :-)

Depending on your possibilities (money) and the conditions under which you will be watching plus your personal attitude like "do i want to adjust on my own or just plant it and watch" influence your decision.

I'm sure many here will help you if you have specific questions :-)

Edit: if you want to do it right and money is the limiting factor then i'd say first read a book to get a feeling, then decide on spending money for a specific equipment. Furthermore i find that you'll have far more fun when joining others or letting others join you. Carrying 30kg out in the field in -5 degrees C needs enthusiasm. And warm gloves.

If you've got a decent pair of binoculars lying about, you'll probably be able to see the Galilean moons and Saturn's rings. There's a lot to see with only your eyes, though. If you go out soon after it gets dark, you can often spot at least a few satellites in orbit. They look like stars, but they drift across the sky over several minutes and don't have blinky lights like airplanes do. You can also find out on the internet when the ISS will be overhead. Several nebulae and galaxies are visible in areas with lower light pollution, although some are bright enough to be seen closer to the city. If you want to go for a telescope, you might want to start small if you're only going to be looking for basic stuff like the visible planets and the Moon.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.