[KSP 1.6.1] Stock Visual Terrain [v2.2.0] [20 March 2019]

Galileo

1 hour ago, Abpilot said:

:o:o:o:0.0::0.0::0.0:...

how does one run THAT many mods and not crash...

If all the mods are compatible with the game version, and compatible between them (you don't have two mods trying to change the same thing), there's no reason to have a crash or any other problem. I just install everything manually, checking it first and making necessary adjustments. In this install I only needed to organize the mods that change the resources of the tanks. I also disable a lot of parts that are redundant or I don't use/don't like, so my final list is very organized, and a fine selection of the best parts from all this mods.

The only mod to cause a problem in this install was SVT, and I was unable to find the cause, so I'll simply not use it.

8 hours ago, MaximumThrust said:

If all the mods are compatible with the game version, and compatible between them (you don't have two mods trying to change the same thing), there's no reason to have a crash or any other problem. I just install everything manually, checking it first and making necessary adjustments. In this install I only needed to organize the mods that change the resources of the tanks. I also disable a lot of parts that are redundant or I don't use/don't like, so my final list is very organized, and a fine selection of the best parts from all this mods.

The only mod to cause a problem in this install was SVT, and I was unable to find the cause, so I'll simply not use it.

How long dose it take to load up your game?

30 minutes ago, Abpilot said:

How long dose it take to load up your game?

3-4 minutes. I pruned (disabled) a lot of parts and reduced the size of 4k textures. I think it's a lot of time, but acceptable. The stock game loads in seconds, but I don't see nothing interesting in there in years.

4 minutes ago, theonegalen said:

My next computer will definitely have an SSD for KSP.

It helps, but won't make any magic. I guess a system that stores everything in the RAM can make the game load instantly, you'll only need to reload it one time per reboot.

26 minutes ago, theonegalen said:

It takes 45 minutes from double-click to main menu for my 1.3.1 modded install.

That's not the HDD slowing things down.  I've run hundreds of mods on a 5400rpm 2.5in HDD and it's taken at most a minute or two (and usually far less) to load and that's without ModuleManager using its cache from a previous load.  But I've got 24GB of memory and since the 64-bit client became stock I've only used it.  There's something else going on.

Edited by Jacke

4 minutes ago, Jacke said:

That's not the HDD slowing things down.  I've run hundreds of mods on a 5400rpm 2.5in HDD and it's taken at most a minute or two (and usually far less) to load and that's without ModuleManager using its cache from a previous load.  But I've got 24GB of memory and since the 64-bit client became stock I've only used it.  There's something else going on.

Then it's probably my 8GB of RAM holding me back. The computer is 7 years old, and while it was great for a laptop in 2011, it's not strong these days. Although I'll check the logs to see if there's anything interesting going on. Once I have time.

Edited by theonegalen

[ Caught me halfway through editting me last post. ]

@theonegalen, I'm suspecting you've got a smaller amount of memory and a Windows computer that, like all versions of Windows, uses its swap file far too much.  So KSP is loading into "memory" but some of that "memory" is virtual in the swap file, so while KSP and its mods load, there's a lot of back-and-forth between memory and the swap file while the files are loaded into memory, classic computer storage thrashing.  An SSD would help, but that level of use of the swap file will still be slower and can seriously eat into the life of the SSD.

24 minutes ago, theonegalen said:

Then it's probably my 8GB of RAM holding me back. I'll check the logs to see if there's anything interesting going on. Once I have time.

Yeah, that's it.  Assuming you've got Windows, that 8GB can easily all be in use before you even launch KSP.  From the task manager, even without KSP running, my 24GB on Windows 10 1607 is currently 41% in use, or more than 9GB allocated.  (And yes, Windows will still use the swap file in a non-trivial way even with that much free memory. :( )  All operating systems will work hard to keep a bit of the memory free continuously by pushing out the least-recently used memory to the swap, but at that point that's just to prevent the computer from crashing.  Thus 45-minute program loads.

One of the bigger memory and processing hogs is the modern browser.  On my machine the latest Firefox has 7 processes for 3 windows and several tabs and about 5.5GB of that 9GB of memory and almost all of the processing cycles.  It can be helpful to be able to alt-tab to a browser for information while playing KSP, but unfortunately there's two big programs that can get in each others' way.  One way that might work is to close the browser, launch KSP, then alt-tab out and relaunch the browser and limit its use to just get the info you need.

If it's possible and you can afford it, I'd suggest upgrading the memory to as much as your computer can take.  As well, you could prune your mods to reduce the size of loaded KSP; parts mods and older mods that haven't been thoroughly updated for the latest graphics standards for KSP are candidates there.

Edited by Jacke

20 minutes ago, Jacke said:

Yeah, that's it.  Assuming you've got Windows, that 8GB can easily all be in use before you even launch KSP.  From the task manager, even without KSP running, my 24GB on Windows 10 1607 is currently 41% in use, or more than 9GB allocated.  (And yes, Windows will still use the swap file in a non-trivial way even with that much free memory. :( )  All operating systems will work hard to keep a bit of the memory free continuously by pushing out the least-recently used memory to the swap, but at that point that's just to prevent the computer from crashing.  Thus 45-minute program loads.

As well, you could prune your mods to reduce the size of loaded KSP; parts mods and older mods that haven't been thoroughly updated for the latest graphics standards for KSP are candidates there.

I have Windows 7 and I close all other programs when I start my big install, so it's usually using around 2GB when I start up KSP. Unfortunately, 8GB is all this computer can handle.

Edited by theonegalen

5 minutes ago, theonegalen said:

I have Windows 7 and I close all other programs when I start my big install, so it's usually using around 2GB when I start up KSP. Unfortunately, 8GB is all this computer can handle.

It's a pain to select instead of taking all.  But I think if you limit your mods, you can get near the same experience and better performance, both loading and running KSP.  The way KSP handles parts (loads all parts into memory at game start) means parts mods are the ones you should look at first.

Even with KSP 64-bit, you can keep its memory footprint within 5GB and even under 4GB.  I use the abandonware JSGME (best source is on the subsim.com forums, which you could join to download) to enable and disable mods in KSP.  A bit of a learning curve but I've found it to be the best tool for manual control of game mods.

At that level, you'll still get a bit of thrash but you should see game loads within a few minutes and better game speed that before.

1 hour ago, Jacke said:

[ Caught me halfway through editting me last post. ]

@theonegalen, I'm suspecting you've got a smaller amount of memory and a Windows computer that, like all versions of Windows, uses its swap file far too much.  So KSP is loading into "memory" but some of that "memory" is virtual in the swap file, so while KSP and its mods load, there's a lot of back-and-forth between memory and the swap file while the files are loaded into memory, classic computer storage thrashing.  An SSD would help, but that level of use of the swap file will still be slower and can seriously eat into the life of the SSD.

One of the bigger memory and processing hogs is the modern browser.  On my machine the latest Firefox has 7 processes for 3 windows and several tabs and about 5.5GB of that 9GB of memory and almost all of the processing cycles.  It can be helpful to be able to alt-tab to a browser for information while playing KSP, but unfortunately there's two big programs that can get in each others' way.  One way that might work is to close the browser, launch KSP, then alt-tab out and relaunch the browser and limit its use to just get the info you need.

If it's possible and you can afford it, I'd suggest upgrading the memory to as much as your computer can take.  As well, you could prune your mods to reduce the size of loaded KSP; parts mods and older mods that haven't been thoroughly updated for the latest graphics standards for KSP are candidates there.

if windows is hogging up that much of your ram you need to look into. my pc which has been on 24hrs a day for weeks is at 3gb for total ram usage at idle.

23 minutes ago, invision said:

if windows is hogging up that much of your ram you need to look into. my pc which has been on 24hrs a day for weeks is at 3gb for total ram usage at idle.

Well, excluding Firefox, on my Windows 10 1607 that's about 3.5GB of memory.  And that's a modern operating system.  No one process in the Task Manager (which I think is actually a process tree) takes up more than 230MB (and that's a Window's service host) and most are only in the 10's of MB and even lower.  But they all add up.  It is possible to prune out some things to cut down on this, but that becomes difficult.  Example get rid of the 52MB Steam bootstrapper and I can't launch Steam games except the few that allow being run outside of Steam, like KSP.  It's better in Linux but that's because it comes at providing a user environment from a different direction, less stuff and usually with a smaller memory footprint.  What would make things better is if Windows multitasked better.  It's kind of crap at that.

On 3/20/2018 at 9:56 PM, theonegalen said:

It takes 45 minutes from double-click to main menu for my 1.3.1 modded install.

Long loading times are often caused by duplicate of ModuleManager.dll, that is hidden somewhere in one of the mods(subfolders).

Also there is a Unity bug on Windows, that causes network lookup. I am not sure if it was fixed, but if you deactivate all network adapters and KSP starts significantly faster - then its it.

I'm currently experiencing the bright green KSC dark green grass bug when using SVT, SVE, EVE, and Sigma Dimensions, and it seems like Sigma Dimensions is the one causing the problem. Is there a way to fix this? The only reason I found out about SVT  was through trying to make the terrain look nicer from orbit when using Rescale! 6.4x, which requires SD :(

Screenshot of KSC and GameData

Edited by quietsamurai98

15 minutes ago, Starslinger999 said:

Dunno. I'm kinda asking the same.

On 3/24/2018 at 12:26 PM, ZiggyStardust1921 said:

When can we expect a compatibility update for 1.4?

You guys need to read the pinned post about asking for mod updates. 

4 minutes ago, Starslinger999 said:

I know... I just wanted to check if there was any progress or anything. Was not trying to pester @Galileo Apologies if it came across that way.

If you keep up with the mod threads for the dependencies, it seems like a holdup may be an update to Kopernicus, which hasn’t (yet?) happened. 

To ALL can confirm SVT ver 2.1.3 is working nominal at the first look with

new kopernicus release and depencies:

And its so pretty again thanks @Galileo  

happy easter to all

edit:sorry to report the  @SQUAD never fixed holographic ghost terrain stones are back

also when deleted the EnableColliders.cfg

and deleted the Physics.cfg and modulemanager.cfgs on the first loading.

Edited by Burning Kan
edit

16 hours ago, Burning Kan said:

To ALL can confirm SVT ver 2.1.3 is working nominal at the first look with

And its so pretty again thanks @Galileo  

happy easter to all

edit:sorry to report the  @SQUAD never fixed holographic ghost terrain stones are back

also when deleted the EnableColliders.cfg

and deleted the Physics.cfg and modulemanager.cfgs on the first loading.

Thanks for the headsup @Burning Kan will try it and see what happens.
Happy easter to you too!

cheers

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.