Galileo

[KSP 1.6.1] Stock Visual Terrain [v2.2.0] [20 March 2019]

Recommended Posts

I'm having compatibility trouble with OPM: with OPM installed, the SVT textures don't show up for any stock bodies.

KSP.log with no OPM installed

KSP.log with OPM installed

(I used a regex to remove the [LOG], [WRN], and similar timestamps to facilitate comparing the two logs)

 

I did notice that, when going into the Tracking Centre, there's a difference in how the stock bodies' textures are referenced: without OPM, it's

[OD] --> ScaledSpaceDemand.LoadTextures loading SVT/textures/PluginData/NewMunSurfaceMapDiffuse.dds and NewMunSurfaceMapNormals
[OD] --> ScaledSpaceDemand.LoadTextures loading SVT/textures/PluginData/KerbinScaledSpace300.dds and KerbinScaledSpace401

With OPM, it becomes

 [OD] --> ScaledSpaceDemand.LoadTextures loading NewMunSurfaceMapDiffuse and NewMunSurfaceMapNormals
 [OD] --> ScaledSpaceDemand.LoadTextures loading KerbinScaledSpace300 and KerbinScaledSpace401

 

I also found that installing Scatterer fixes the problem; unfortunately, it also makes the game lag too much on my computer, so I can't keep it. OPMVO doesn't seem to help.

Edited by Sovetskysoyuz
Added info about Scatterer.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I found what might be a shading problem with the cliff textures. Here's some screenshots from when I noticed it:

wWOkuuO.jpg

FcOusJ9.jpg

Shading seems to be independent of the direction of the geometry.

It also changes depending on time of day, the mountains west of KSC being dark in the morning and light in the afternoon.

Morning:

J3zQf1F.jpg

Afternoon:

HS0oQVq.jpg

The spoiler below has a timelapse of the KSC mountains, with the camera facing west and starting at sunrise. Relative timestamps can be seen in the upper left. (Ignore the plane please, I'm a great pilot!)

Notice how the mountains remain dark until around 2 hours after sunrise, and then are very brightly lit as the sun goes down.

Spoiler

T = 0, sunrise

GgIPLFD.jpg

T = 18 minutes

FSqMoxA.jpg

T = 38 minutes

uPRqhyj.jpg

T = 1 hour, 7 minutes

iZE6SNX.jpg

T = 1 hour, 37 minutes

Y0depXE.jpg

T = 2 hours, 7 minutes

SSC4vLd.jpg

T = 2 hours, 20 minutes

TUUup0q.jpg

T = 2 hours, 31 minutes

8sf7NhP.jpg

T = 2 hours, 40 minutes

wardbEy.jpg

T = 2 hours, 51 minutes

4R9JO7d.jpg

T = 2 hours, 55 minutes

dJLaqrh.jpg

T = 2 hours, 58 minutes

05iSecV.jpg

T = 3 hours, 2 minutes

zMojVIb.jpg

T = 3 hours, 6 minutes

Ey38cv3.jpg

output_log file

Edited by BadOaks

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
32 minutes ago, BadOaks said:

I found what might be a shading problem with the cliff textures. Here's some screenshots from when I noticed it:

wWOkuuO.jpg

FcOusJ9.jpg

Shading seems to be independent of the direction of the geometry.

It also changes depending on time of day, the mountains west of KSC being dark in the morning and light in the afternoon.

Morning:

J3zQf1F.jpg

Afternoon:

HS0oQVq.jpg

The spoiler below has a timelapse of the KSC mountains, with the camera facing west and starting at sunrise. Relative timestamps can be seen in the upper left. (Ignore the plane please, I'm a great pilot!)

Notice how the mountains remain dark until around 2 hours after sunrise, and then are very brightly lit as the sun goes down.

  Hide contents

T = 0, sunrise

GgIPLFD.jpg

T = 18 minutes

FSqMoxA.jpg

T = 38 minutes

uPRqhyj.jpg

T = 1 hour, 7 minutes

iZE6SNX.jpg

T = 1 hour, 37 minutes

Y0depXE.jpg

T = 2 hours, 7 minutes

SSC4vLd.jpg

T = 2 hours, 20 minutes

TUUup0q.jpg

T = 2 hours, 31 minutes

8sf7NhP.jpg

T = 2 hours, 40 minutes

wardbEy.jpg

T = 2 hours, 51 minutes

4R9JO7d.jpg

T = 2 hours, 55 minutes

dJLaqrh.jpg

T = 2 hours, 58 minutes

05iSecV.jpg

T = 3 hours, 2 minutes

zMojVIb.jpg

T = 3 hours, 6 minutes

Ey38cv3.jpg

output_log file

Hmmm I have not seen this. I will look into it soon.

 

And why do I need to do a captcha to comment now?

Edited by Galileo

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, Galileo said:

Hmmm I have not seen this. I will look into it soon.

 

And why do I need to do a captcha to comment now?

See here regarding captcha issues. Don't know if they have fixed - but it seems to be a collection of issues being worked on by @ManeTI

 

Edited by wile1411

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I am using the High-Res texture pack and am curious if it is affected by the terrain detail slider in the KSP graphics options. My assumption is that option just changes the "bumps" or hills detail from further away, not sure though.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5/24/2018 at 6:53 PM, Sovetskysoyuz said:

I'm having compatibility trouble with OPM: with OPM installed, the SVT textures don't show up for any stock bodies.

KSP.log with no OPM installed

KSP.log with OPM installed

(I used a regex to remove the [LOG], [WRN], and similar timestamps to facilitate comparing the two logs)

 

I did notice that, when going into the Tracking Centre, there's a difference in how the stock bodies' textures are referenced: without OPM, it's


[OD] --> ScaledSpaceDemand.LoadTextures loading SVT/textures/PluginData/NewMunSurfaceMapDiffuse.dds and NewMunSurfaceMapNormals
[OD] --> ScaledSpaceDemand.LoadTextures loading SVT/textures/PluginData/KerbinScaledSpace300.dds and KerbinScaledSpace401

With OPM, it becomes


 [OD] --> ScaledSpaceDemand.LoadTextures loading NewMunSurfaceMapDiffuse and NewMunSurfaceMapNormals
 [OD] --> ScaledSpaceDemand.LoadTextures loading KerbinScaledSpace300 and KerbinScaledSpace401

 

I also found that installing Scatterer fixes the problem; unfortunately, it also makes the game lag too much on my computer, so I can't keep it. OPMVO doesn't seem to help.

Update: I also found that the SVT textures actually do show up when I fly to e.g. the Mun, but they still don't show up in the Map view., and they fade back to the stock texture if I zoom out really far. My ksp.log has lots of this repeating in it:

 

[LOG 11:15:04.931] [OD] <--- ScaledSpaceDemand.UnloadTextures destroying NewMunSurfaceMap00 and NewMunSurfaceMap01
[LOG 11:15:05.796] [OD] --> ScaledSpaceDemand.LoadTextures loading NewMunSurfaceMap00 and NewMunSurfaceMap01

Is this possibly related to the Kopernicus load-on-demand settings, or some sort of memory management?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm getting a big hit to my FPS with SVT installed.  With SVE and Scatterer installed and a ~150 part craft landed on Mun I get around 60fps. With SVT also installed it drops to ~12-15fps.
Running on an i7 (OC'd to 4.1GHz), 32GB RAM, GTX 1070sc. SVT was installed via CKAN (and there wasn't any option for low/high res version).  I was expecting a performance hit, but not quite as bad as that.  Is there anything I could do to improve the performance? The planets look so much nicer with SVT, it's a really nice mod, I just can't handle the low frame rate.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, katateochi said:

I'm getting a big hit to my FPS with SVT installed.  With SVE and Scatterer installed and a ~150 part craft landed on Mun I get around 60fps. With SVT also installed it drops to ~12-15fps.
Running on an i7 (OC'd to 4.1GHz), 32GB RAM, GTX 1070sc. SVT was installed via CKAN (and there wasn't any option for low/high res version).  I was expecting a performance hit, but not quite as bad as that.  Is there anything I could do to improve the performance? The planets look so much nicer with SVT, it's a really nice mod, I just can't handle the low frame rate.

I’ll need to see your output logs. SVT should make your performance a little better, not worse. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 hours ago, Galileo said:

I’ll need to see your output logs. SVT should make your performance a little better, not worse. 

I'm running 50+ mods so I wanted to check if other mods where the cause so I did a set of tests with different mod setups.  For each test setup I've included the KSP log file and the .ckan file that lists the installed mods for that test.
Here's a zip containing the KSP logs and mod lists and these are the tests I did:

Tests all start with KSP log deleted. and save reset to same starting point.
Steps: 
  Load KSP with given mod payload, load save, go into tracking station & select landed craft. 
  wait 20-30 seconds for FPS to stabalize and record FPS  
  landed craft is a 137 part craft made of all stock parts, landed on Mun (near Mun Arch on equator)

KSP info:
  KSP 1.4.3
  build id = 02152
  2018.04.26 at 23:09:44 CEST

Test Machine
  i7 6800k OC'd @4.1Ghz
  32GB RAM
  GTX 1070sc (8GB)
  Windows 7 pro 64bit


Test 01 - [low mod setup including SVE & Scatterer - without SVT] 
  mods see list; 01_mods.ckan
  see log; 01_KSP.log
  FPS: 65

Test 02 - [low mod setup including SVE & Scatterer - with SVT]
  mods see list; 02_mods.ckan
  see log; 02_KSP.log
  FPS: 40

Test 03 - [full mod setup including SVE & Scatterer - without SVT]
  mods see list; 03_mods.ckan *see note at bottom
  see log; 03_KSP.log
  FPS: 50-55

Test 04 - [full mod setup including SVE & Scatterer - with SVT]
  mods see list; 04_mods.ckan *see note at bottom
  see log; 04_KSP.log
  FPS: 20  

Test 05 - [Stock + SVE & Scatterer -  without SVT]
  mods see list; 05_mods.ckan
  see log; 05_KSP.log
  FPS: 90

Test 06 - [Stock + SVE & Scatterer -  with SVT]
  mods see list; 06_mods.ckan
  see log; 06_KSP.log
  FPS: 58

Mods not listed in full install ckan files (tests 03  & 04):
WildBlueTools, Pathfinder, MemGraph, Buffalo

In all cases including when no other mods were installed apart from SVE & scatterer (and their dependencies) adding SVT resulted in 25-30 FPS drop in frame rate.
 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

@katateochi can you do a test with only SVT and  Kopernicus + dependencies installed? 

Then do another test with just Kopernicus installed?

 

 

Edited by Galileo

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Galileo said:

@katateochi can you do a test with only SVT and  Kopernicus + dependencies installed? 

Then do another test with just Kopernicus installed?

Sure. & also tested with just Kopernicus' dependencies and then pure stock as a control

Test 07 - [Stock + SVT, Kopernicus, ModularFlightIntegrator, ModuleManager]
  mods see list; 07_mods.ckan
  see log; 07_KSP.log
  FPS: 82

Test 08 - [Stock + Kopernicus, ModularFlightIntegrator, ModuleManager]
  mods see list; 08_mods.ckan
  see log; 08_KSP.log
  FPS: 86

Test 09 - [Stock + ModularFlightIntegrator, ModuleManager]
  mods see list; 09_mods.ckan
  see log; 09_KSP.log
  FPS: 109

Test 10 - [Stock]
  mods see list; 10_mods.ckan
  see log; 10_KSP.log
  FPS: 110

I've updated the shared zip with log/mod files for those tests

SVT+Kopernicus and just Kopernicus had about the same FPS. Then removing Kopernicus increased the FPS by ~25 fps.
Just Kopernicus' dependencies and pure stock had around the same FPS.

So.....Kopernicus.  That seems to be where the FPS drop is coming from.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, katateochi said:

Sure. & also tested with just Kopernicus' dependencies and then pure stock as a control


Test 07 - [Stock + SVT, Kopernicus, ModularFlightIntegrator, ModuleManager]
  mods see list; 07_mods.ckan
  see log; 07_KSP.log
  FPS: 82

Test 08 - [Stock + Kopernicus, ModularFlightIntegrator, ModuleManager]
  mods see list; 08_mods.ckan
  see log; 08_KSP.log
  FPS: 86

Test 09 - [Stock + ModularFlightIntegrator, ModuleManager]
  mods see list; 09_mods.ckan
  see log; 09_KSP.log
  FPS: 109

Test 10 - [Stock]
  mods see list; 10_mods.ckan
  see log; 10_KSP.log
  FPS: 110

I've updated the shared zip with log/mod files for those tests

SVT+Kopernicus and just Kopernicus had about the same FPS. Then removing Kopernicus increased the FPS by ~25 fps.
Just Kopernicus' dependencies and pure stock had around the same FPS.

So.....Kopernicus.  That seems to be where the FPS drop is coming from.

Can you run the test with just kopernicus and post the logs in the kopernicus thread so Thomas can see it?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 6/14/2018 at 11:32 PM, Galileo said:

Can you run the test with just kopernicus and post the logs in the kopernicus thread so Thomas can see it?

Yes indeed (sorry for delay, was away a couple days). I've posted on the Kopernicus thread (post here). 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5/15/2018 at 8:19 PM, Akira_R said:

So random bit of wackiness for those of you using SVE and SVT together.

I am currently still playing on KSP 1.3.1 and I noticed that the city lights on Kerbin had disappeared, which is really weird because they had been working fine last night. Now I had just installed KS3P so I yanked that and still no city lights. I reinstalled both SVE and SVT and still no dice.

So I created a new testing install of KSP 1.3.1 and only installed SVE, and hey there are city lights, ok so I installed SVT and boom no city lights.... hrmmm, I removed SVT but left kopernicus and hey the lights are back..... weird....

Now this had me really confused as this had been working fine previously and these are the same .zip files I had originally built out this install with. Thats when I realized that I had also recently stopped using -force-d3d11 as I had removed Textures Unlimited, hmmmmm, so I made a new short cut to launch in dx11 and sure enough there are my city lights again!!! I tried -force-opengl to see if for some reason it was just a dx9 issue and they didn't show up there either.

TL;DR

If you are running SVE and SVT on KSP 1.3.1 it appears that you need to use dx11 in order to have city lights show up....

Thanks for posting this.  I couldn't figure out what happened to my city lights and never would've thought to force dx11.  Once I did that the lights were back without having to do anything else!  :)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Does this mod work with latest KSP version? Not working here.. Kopernicus says it won't work and nothing changes. Thanks!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, seyss said:

Does this mod work with latest KSP version? Not working here.. Kopernicus says it won't work and nothing changes. Thanks!

This mod requires Kopernicus, and Kopernicus hasn't yet been updated.  So no, this mod doesn't work with the latest KSP.  Please wait for the mod authors to get caught up.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hey is there any known incompatibilities with this mod? I want to download it but I want to find out before I get a huge headache from errors.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, HaydenTheKing said:

Hey is there any known incompatibilities with this mod? I want to download it but I want to find out before I get a huge headache from errors.

If you use the stock solar system, you will be fine. Just don't try to use SVT with KSP 1.4.4, since SVT depends on kopernicus which is not updated to 1.4.4 yet and maybe there will be no update till 1.4.5.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On ‎4‎/‎10‎/‎2018 at 3:11 PM, StarStreak2109 said:

Hi there,

I am having the same issue...

unknown.png


Verzeichnis von C:\KSP_1.4.2\GameData

10.04.2018  21:05    <DIR>          .
10.04.2018  21:05    <DIR>          ..
10.04.2018  16:57    <DIR>          CTTP
10.04.2018  20:34    <DIR>          DistantObject
10.04.2018  20:32    <DIR>          EnvironmentalVisualEnhancements
10.04.2018  21:05                 0 gamedata.txt
10.04.2018  17:05    <DIR>          Kopernicus
10.04.2018  20:30        64.352.609 KS.zip
10.04.2018  16:56    <DIR>          ModularFlightIntegrator
10.04.2018  16:56           103.936 ModuleManager.3.0.6.dll
10.04.2018  20:56         3.383.191 ModuleManager.ConfigCache
10.04.2018  20:56           116.009 ModuleManager.ConfigSHA
10.04.2018  20:56             8.882 ModuleManager.Physics
10.04.2018  20:56            28.994 ModuleManager.TechTree
10.04.2018  17:03    <DIR>          OPM
10.04.2018  20:31    <DIR>          PlanetShine
10.04.2018  20:32    <DIR>          PoodsSkyboxes
10.04.2018  20:31    <DIR>          scatterer
10.04.2018  20:56    <DIR>          Sigma
10.04.2018  20:55        11.671.271 Sigma.zip
09.04.2018  21:46    <DIR>          Squad
28.03.2018  21:33    <DIR>          SquadExpansion
10.04.2018  20:33    <DIR>          StockVisualEnhancements
10.04.2018  20:33    <DIR>          SVT

KSP.log https://www.dropbox.com/s/5ub7la28y77yrn1/KSP.log?dl=0

@Galileo is there any fix? Thanks in advance.

Sebastian

Delete the :FOR[SVT] in Kerbin's cfg file, it's overwriting SigDim's changes somehow. So far that seems to work for me.

@Galileo Here's some information on this issue, perhaps you can suggest a better fix for now that users could edit into their files until you get a chance to update it (or if you like just suggest how you'd like it fixed and I'll submit a PR on github).

Here's my Mod Manager cache with SVT 2.1.4 as installed (I cut out the bit between Material and Ocean to shorten it a bit, no real difference in that section anyways, just to show that something is being overridden since the position of SpaceCenter changes and loses it's rescaling and I believe that is the culprit for this bug):

				AtmosphereFromGround
				{
					outerRadiusMult = 1.028571428575
					innerRadiusMult = 0.971527777774318
					transformScale = 1.05714285715,1.05714285715,1.05714285715
				}
			}
			PQS
			{
				Mods
				{
					SigmaDimensions
					{
						Resize = 2.5
						Rescale = 2.5
						Atmosphere = 1.1
						dayLengthMultiplier = 1.5
						landscape = 0.76
						groundTiling = 1
						atmoASL = 1
						tempASL = 1
						atmoTopLayer = 1.038961039
						atmoVisualEffect = 1.142857143
						lightRange = 2.5
						scanAltitude = 1
						geeASLmultiplier = 1
						resizeScatter = 1
						CustomSoISize = 2.5
						CustomRingSize = 2.5
						reEntryHeat = 1
						resizeBuildings = 1
						changeScatterSize = 2.5
						changeScatterDensity = 0.4
					}
				}
				Material

.....

			Ocean
			{
				Mods
				{
					SigmaDimensions
					{
						Resize = 2.5
						Rescale = 2.5
						Atmosphere = 1.1
						dayLengthMultiplier = 1.5
						landscape = 0.76
						groundTiling = 1
						atmoASL = 1
						tempASL = 1
						atmoTopLayer = 1.038961039
						atmoVisualEffect = 1.142857143
						lightRange = 2.5
						scanAltitude = 1
						geeASLmultiplier = 1
						resizeScatter = 1
						CustomSoISize = 2.5
						CustomRingSize = 2.5
						reEntryHeat = 1
						resizeBuildings = 1
						changeScatterSize = 2.5
						changeScatterDensity = 0.4
					}
				}
			}
			SigmaDimensions
			{
				Resize = 2.5
				Rescale = 2.5
				Atmosphere = 1.1
				dayLengthMultiplier = 1.5
				landscape = 0.76
				groundTiling = 1
				atmoASL = 1
				tempASL = 1
				atmoTopLayer = 1.038961039
				atmoVisualEffect = 1.142857143
				lightRange = 2.5
				scanAltitude = 1
				geeASLmultiplier = 1
				resizeScatter = 1
				CustomSoISize = 2.5
				CustomRingSize = 2.5
				reEntryHeat = 1
				resizeBuildings = 1
				changeScatterSize = 2.5
				changeScatterDensity = 0.4
			}
			SpaceCenter
			{
				groundColor = 0.444,0.494,0.294,0.23
				groundTexture = SVT/textures/PluginData/grass00.dds
			}
		}

 

And this is what it is with :FOR[SVT] removed from the Kerbin.cfg file:

				AtmosphereFromGround
				{
					outerRadiusMult = 1.028571428575
					innerRadiusMult = 0.971527777774318
					transformScale = 1.05714285715,1.05714285715,1.05714285715
				}
			}
			SpaceCenter
			{
				groundColor = 0.444,0.494,0.294,0.23
				groundTexture = SVT/textures/PluginData/grass00.dds
				radius = 18750
				Resize = 2.5
			}
			PQS
			{
				Material

 

As you can see, somehow SVT is overwriting the changes SigDim is making to the radius for the SpaceCenter and likely drawing the textures too low due to that fact. That is literally the only difference I can find so far. This seems to be happening because SVT loads after SigDim, forcing it to load before SigDim resolves the issue.

 

Edit: I think I have a better fix, at least temporarily for this issue. Change all the callbacks from SVT to rSVT in the config folder to maintain loading hierarchy. So,

Change @Kopernicus:FOR[SVT] to @Kopernicus:FOR[rSVT]

Change @Kopernicus:BEFORE[SVT] to @Kopernicus:BEFORE[rSVT]

Change @Kopernicus:AFTER[SVT] to @Kopernicus:AFTER[rSVT]

That will let it load before SigDim and then SigDim can modify it correctly.

Edited by draqsko
Better fix

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Does this mod improve the texture or models of ground scatter? 

Otherwise, is anyone aware of a mod that does?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hello @Galileo,

So is the terrain around KSC supposed to look all yellow like a desert with Stock Visual Enhancements (High Res) and Stock Visual Terrain, and EVE without the CFGs, and Scatter with configs...but with ocean stuff inactivated by Better Oceans High Res? Or did I screw this up?

I have all my graphics settings on High....I kinda wish the grass around KSC was green like the green around the actual buildings.....

The ocean looks the same to me too.....I think.....

DsSBDit.png

Edited by JoE Smash

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.