Why is there a Monolith near KSC

Markus1002

25 minutes ago, Markus1002 said:

Ok, I just think that it should not be so visible, considering that it's an easter egg.

^^This!

This change has completely derailed the story I've been setting up. Before the update, I made a conscious decision to ignore the monoliths. Now, It's so stupidly massive that you can see it from anywhere on the KSC peninsula. You can see it from the launch site, This change has COMPLETELY SCREWED ME OVER. I can basically just scrap the entire story now, as it hinges on the first and only anomaly being Mun arches. Acknowledging easter eggs shouldn't be mandatory, the entire point is to stumble upon them accidentally or hunt them down, not have them shoved in your face.

The primitive Kerbals who touched it, beat problems (sometimes with skulls attached) with large femurs, which proved to be far more effective than the previous solution, which was yelling at problems until they either ran away or ate you. While the rest of the planet remained in the stone age, these advanced Kerbals continued developing technology around the monolith until they arrived at space travel.

5 minutes ago, vger said:

The primitive Kerbals who touched it, beat problems (sometimes with skulls attached) with large femurs, which proved to be far more effective than the previous solution, which was yelling at problems until they either ran away or ate you. While the rest of the planet remained in the stone age, these advanced Kerbals continued developing technology around the monolith until they arrived at space travel.

I never thought of that.

3 minutes ago, WildLynx said:

That's a completely different situation. That comic involves a hardware problem, whle this is just, quite frankly, stupid. An easter egg is described as:

Easter Egg - An unexpected or undocumented feature in a piece of computer software or on a DVD, included as a joke or a bonus.

That is what the monoliths are. Instead, they're getting shoved down your throat FOR NO REASON AT ALL! IT'S NOT LIKE THEY'RE IMPERATIVE TO THE GAME'S FUNCTION, THEY ARE A BONUS. Why did none of the other monoliths get 10 times the size? Why not JUST LEAVE IT THE SAME GODDAMN SIZE!!!

Seriously, This is like, a months worth of carefull planning and writing that has been completely wasted. And I can't roll back to 1.1.2 now, or I already would have.

1 minute ago, Andem said:

Why did none of the other monoliths get 10 times the size?

Because none of the other monoliths ordered the pills that were advertised to them in their email.

37 minutes ago, WildLynx said:

I use SCANSat, so no location-bound Easter Eggs are hidden from me. Uh, I'm so sure?

I don't use Scansat. I used too, but there were other mod conflicts and I chose to just drop it. I'm unsure why that mod has any bearing on this discussion whatsoever.

This is KSP, we solve our problems via engineering.

If you don't like the monolith being there, Build a frigging wall on wheels and drive it over there in front of it so you don't have to see it.

Or even park a rocket ship there; call it a memorial, build a statue of the first Kerbal astronaut, some kind of fake "building"...I don't know...anything!

Edited by Rocket In My Pocket

16 minutes ago, Rocket In My Pocket said:

This is KSP, we solve our problems via engineering.

If you don't like the monolith being there, Build a frigging wall on wheels and drive it over there in front of it so you don't have to see it.

Or even park a rocket ship there; call it a memorial, build a statue of the first Kerbal astronaut, some kind of fake "building"...I don't know...anything!

Not possible. Career mate.

9 minutes ago, Trann said:

...write a mod to rescale Monoliths?

I doubt that that's even possible, but if it was, I don't have the skills to do so.

3 minutes ago, razark said:

Why not just ignore it?

See:

2 hours ago, Andem said:

Now, It's so stupidly massive that you can see it from anywhere on the KSC peninsula. You can see it from the launch site.

It's so massive and garish that you can't not see it. And, In my opinion, it's an eyesore. Especially if the story includes some anomalies but not the others, it would just be weird.

--EDIT--

I just remembered, I can "Kopernicusify" the KSC to a new location! I can't believe it took me so long to remember that... Crisis (hypothetically) avoided I guess... But I would still appreciate this changed back to a normal size. :confused:

Edited by Andem

Just now, Andem said:

It's so massive and garish that you can't not see it.

Yes.  I get that point.  But just because you can see it doesn't mean you have to.  Or that you have to accept it as an out-of-place artifact.

1 minute ago, Andem said:

...if the story includes some anomalies but not the others...

What anomaly?  It's just part of the landscape in the background, and you don't even need to really acknowledge that it exists in the first place.

or:

"Hey, what's the thing?"
"Oh, you mean that historical monument over there?  Yeah, some people aren't happy with it, but it's really not important to what we do over here, so we just don't really talk about it."
Story continues from this point without ever acknowledging the monolith's existence ever again.

13 minutes ago, Brownhair2 said:

They did.

All the ones I've looked at have grown.

36 minutes ago, Andem said:

It's so massive and garish that you can't not see it. And, In my opinion, it's an eyesore. Especially if the story includes some anomalies but not the others, it would just be weird.

--EDIT--

I just remembered, I can "Kopernicusify" the KSC to a new location! I can't believe it took me so long to remember that... Crisis (hypothetically) avoided I guess... But I would still appreciate this changed back to a normal size. :confused:

It's getting a little off-topic, but I've been thinking of different excuses for future changes like this.  Luckily Emiko Station is a little weird already, so unexplained giant monoliths was fairly easy to write in.  But still, I've been trying to think of different ideas to explain any other changes that might pop up in future updates, just in case.

Edited by Just Jim

1 hour ago, Trann said:

...write a mod to rescale Monoliths?

Or make them destructible. Fly a dummy rocket into it. Problem solved.

Though, maybe they already are and nobody bothered to try crashing into one?

Making it possible to grapple them with the claw is another option. There'd be a fun diversionary metagame. Collect every monolith in the solar system. When they are all parked on the same planet within a certain range of each other, the space baby shows up in orbit. :cool:

Edited by vger

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.