Is it just me, or is the control scheme on the PS4 just awful?

I am predominantly a console player, and I have been eagerly waiting many months for KSP to arrive on the PS4.  I purchased it on the release date and have played for a couple of hours each night since.

I have to say I am extremely disappointed and frustrated, to the point where I don't even want the game anymore.  The control scheme is awful and unworkable.  I don't know what I should have expected, but based on my experiences so far, I don't think this game can be played with a joystick.  If I could get a refund for my purchase I would certainly take it.  I don't think I have ever played a game on my PS4 with more frustrating controls.

Are frustrating controls just part of this game? I spend minutes struggling to get a component to attach in the location and manner that I desire.  Am I alone in this?

The bad control scheme is one of the main things people don't like about the PS4 version, at least from what I've seen on these forums.

The fact it doesn't allow custom configurations and that the default scheme is pretty complex might make Squad and FT react and do something about it.

Though, as @klesh said, you're using pretty much all of a keyboard's keys on PC, so you're not going to end up with a complete and simple layout on PS4. That is, unless you plug in a keyboard and a mouse; but in the porting process, the ability to play the game with its native input hardware was lost somewhere, so you can't actually play KSP on PS4 with anything else than the DS3/4 controller (haven't checked for myself, just reporting). Then again, there is hope this will be fixed.

Edited by Gaarst

Just bought this game and was excited to try it. I only play console games, no PC. The controls on the PS4 are terrible. I closed the game after a few minutes of attempting to play it.

I hope they improve this, but I don't know how they can. This seems like a game that should not have been ported to console. Or at least it should have been redesigned and optimized for console gameplay.

The game looks like a lot of fun, and I've heard good things. I've no doubt that it's a joy to play on PC. But this just does not work well on console.

If there is a way to get a refund I would like one please.

Edited by jdub

I'm on Xbox, not PS4, but it is equally bad.

I understand that the game uses most of the keyboard worth of controls on the PC and there is no way that is all getting mapped to a controller. I'm totally cool with clicking the left stick to switch between a mouse pointer and other controls. But having to us the mouse pointer to accept/cancel a menu window instead of the console standard A/B (or whatever it is on dualshock) is just plain lazy.

Me and my kids are really enjoying the game and plan to stick with it through the growing pains, but if I were Squad I would be very, very upset at the quality of the console port.  

On 7/15/2016 at 4:17 PM, Martin Moon said:

Press L1 or R1 for slowed more precise control.

I played a few more hours this weekend and this tip is crucial!  Thank you for that.  Not sure if I missed that in some introductory tutorial.

I managed to get into orbit around Mun and safely return home.  Using the UI to interact with planned orbital maneuvers is a bit of a pain, most notably if you try an move the maneuvers.

But I am getting better and starting to enjoy it more.

On 7/15/2016 at 10:47 PM, jdub said:

I've no doubt that it's a joy to play on PC. But this just does not work well on console.

If there is a way to get a refund I would like one please.

In its present condition this game is waaay overpriced.  It feels more like a $19.99 game. Good luck trying to get a refund from company-S though.

On 7/16/2016 at 1:47 AM, jdub said:

I closed the game after a few minutes of attempting to play it.

Well, good effort on your part then... 

¯\_()_/¯

I dunno man, I built a mun lander, a barge (boat), a few planes, and flown them all fine (landed on Mun, got into the water without exploding, and landed at the old base), the controls 'work', you just need to spend more than a few minutes learning them.  Its gonna take a little investment on the users part to reap the benefits.  Even with a KB/M its not 'intuituve', its stil complex as hell, and flying is definitely worse on KB.  

Edited by Skigazzi

• 3 years later...

I'm playing on PS4. Controls are not easy to master, but after some time you'll get used to them.

That being said, I do hope that some inconsistencies will be corrected in the future. For example, the zoom is L1+joystick in some modes, but L2/R2 in some others. I get it wrong every time.

I find the control scheme relatively brilliant. I’ve never played a console game with so many controls. Once you get used to it, it’s better than mouse and keyboard. Except for precision stuff in the VAB like aligning wings end to end. Been to every planet and moon in the game at least once. Stick with it, and it gets easier. Learn to use the wheels for shortcuts.

• 8 months later...

I’m an interaction designer, working as a product lead, and unfortunately this is a poor excuse of a port that would’ve been labeled as a showstopper by any designer with half a brain. It’s not so much about complexity (the sheer amount of inputs) but the total lack of consistency and poor design.

I love KSP, but I’m not even bothering with these controls... it’s back to the iMac for me. Such a shame.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.