Kerbal Charter Challenge!

I have three seat plane called the Go Very Fast! It has 10 R.A.P.I.E.R. Engines! And I used stuff like a fairing nose cone and putting the hatch inside a 1.25 meter service bay! I'm using afterburners for vtol engines, and the landing gear is all inside cargo bays or service bays! Plus, it has an ejection system!

However, I do have some problems... I don't think it's suppose to explode into tiny pieces when I try to turn... Also, the vtol is really hard to control... But it mostly (doesn't) work!

45 minutes ago, Baybrawler said:

Perhaps some way to fly the route VFR (no looking at the map/targets)? A way to do this is to just give bearings to fly off of for the route. This would add some challenge and be a little more realistic for bush flying as they usually won't use a gps.

I think they do use portable gps, they're pretty cheap :) probably not the older nav systems ( not that there'd be any beacons around ).VFR would be fun if there were more landmarks - along the coast or near mountains is ok, but the terrain is pretty bland otherwise. You can't stop people targetting the next airport anyway, which at least gives a bearing...

Edited by Van Disaster

50 minutes ago, Baybrawler said:

Perhaps doing separate leaderboards? Challenges are for your own fun anyways, so if people cheat they're only cheating themselves. Just an idea, perhaps just targeting would be good for a crude gps or something. 

Yeah - I only really used the navutils "runway" for the polar challenge as a DME fix, and it's not like landing in the rough is something you'd want to do on instruments anyway...

@Pine vessel mover should be able to move stuff anywhere, there is a fast movement mode. That island I flew over earlier is the giant blob east of your most northerly spots, that might actually be a good addition.

Edited by Van Disaster

Ooohh! Mee likee! This sounds so cool! I will definitely try this out! Is OPT allowed? I want to use an advanced atmospheric turbo ramjet that makes for good speed but marginal efficiency. Mod found here: 

it would be cool if the new aerodromes each had a unique (and awkwardly shaped) cargo to be collected! :) maybe the cargo could be components to build an orbit capable rocket once they are assembled on the grass next to the KSC

adit: imagine using a sea plane to collect a spent booster floating offshore, then fly it home, hose it down, refuel, and attach a new payload for another launch... hehe now i know what i'm attempting today!

Edited by Blasty McBlastblast

Well. @Van Disaster, it seems you are right. How??? Whaa? I have no idea how that happened! So, does anyone have a spare Squad folder? I'll be definitely fixing that... Wierd. I would never delete my Squad folder! How on earth? Okay, thanks! 

Umm note on OPT: they have one engine, the dual-mode one, that in my humble opinion is waaaayyyy overpowered. I will NOT be using that.

Also, I had tried to post the log before and my computer shut down in the middle of doing so, so it may pop up at some point. If so, I will attempt to get it deleted. 

I'm on mobile now.

5 minutes ago, Blasty McBlastblast said:

it would be cool if the new aerodromes each had a unique (and awkwardly shaped) cargo to be collected! :) maybe the cargo could be components to build an orbit capable rocket once they are assembled on the grass next to the KSC

I did think about something similar to this, although not necessarily awkwardly shaped. You seem to be attracted to awkwardly shaped objects!

@MycroftI'd imagine a steam cache verify would restore it, unless you have a store copy in which case it's rather simple :p. I'd advise using a steam install as a raw source of files to make copies for working installs, rather than actually play it. KSP doesn't use Steam for DRM, so you can just copy the game anywhere.

OPT engines don't seem massively OP - TWR of some seems a bit much, but generally their efficiency is horrid :P

27 minutes ago, Van Disaster said:

@MycroftI'd imagine a steam cache verify would restore it, unless you have a store copy in which case it's rather simple :p. I'd advise using a steam install as a raw source of files to make copies for working installs, rather than actually play it. KSP doesn't use Steam for DRM, so you can just copy the game anywhere.

OPT engines don't seem massively OP - TWR of some seems a bit much, but generally their efficiency is horrid :P

Yeah, I know it's simple, it's just frustrating. I have a store copy, so I just have to re-download it and steal its squad folder. Ugh. Can't fix it till tomorrow, though. I will definitely attempt this! Question. From various posts, it seems like I have multiple bases to visit. Is that true? If so, could you please mention it in the OP

About OPT: I'm assuming it's a go, then? If so, sweet! Most of the engines are similar to modern jets, except for the dual mode one and the Dark Drive. Thanks!

The multiple base thing is planning for Pine's next challenge - this one is a simple fly to the polar base & back again, with three options how you do it.

Pine has the final say obviously, but personally I'm not going to complain if people use OPT.

I have saved zips of every version back to 0.18.2 from the shop, you never know when you'll need one again...

Edited by Van Disaster

right. up next. if i can do it. biplane style polar flight.

@Pine it starts on this

YnRcXEd.png

finished with 1552 remaining (now that i see it again. it took the best part of 200 fuel units just to take off, lol.)

15714-1552= 14162 *0.8->11329.6 /288-> 39.3

freaking hell that's unexpectedly good O_O

Edited by Koolkei

@Koolkei, not sure if that's an entry or not. If it is, you need at least an image of you flying, coming in for landing, landed, flying back and back at the KSC. If you have the images and show them we can put it in the leaderboards!

@Mycroft, if the engine is a jet and is not based on sci-fi tech (experimental engines that are realistic, for example the SABRE engine, are fine), it should be alright by me! Just remember, if you're not sure if the engine is completely by-passing the point of the challenge, then maybe rethink how balanced it is. But it seems just fine from what I can see, so go right ahead!

@Blasty McBlastblast, you just gave me a great idea! Like, really great idea! I'm not sure about making a rocket out of the cargo, but I think I'll make a cargo haul mission where you have to retrieve bulky/heavy/fragile cargo and bring it back to the KSC, and maybe a an extra mission where you have to recover a crew pod from the ocean with a seaplane! I'll see which of these are possible in the spots I marked down, and tell you all about the results.

For now, I'll be designing low part-count aerodromes!

Spoiler

*HINT HINT WINK WINK*

This is at P1... Manned by Jennie

xZqEHtU.png

EXTRA EDIT: Ok, all the new locations are set now, I'll design some cargo later, but for now there will be enough for you to do with these 6! Details should be in the OP once I finish editing that.

Click for locations!

Spoiler

cI6HhCd.png

SUPER EXTRA EDIT: The OP now has all the information for the challenge! Enjoy!

Edited by Pine

Just now, Pine said:

@max_creative, I may have a plan for making an airport at the mountains west of the KSC, but I still have to figure out which peak has the flattest area and do some tests.

BUT, seems like a possible idea, I know I've done it before on worse landing spots:

Hide contents

QcZd7L2.png

Can I try on a really steep area?

Or maybe there are tourists who want to see the top of the mountain, but the don't want to hike and helicopters don't work up there! Maybe landing on every peak to plant a flag? All peaks, all flags, points from tourists and time? Would be really hilarious trying to horizontally land a big passenger plane there!

Landing up the side of a mountain is fine if you just want to fly Piper Cubs, but if you're doing a reasonably sane challenge about bush passenger trips then I'd rather you left it out. Maybe a solo rescue?

This was an interesting place to land ( and get out of... ) , a circular crater which would have been a caldera if it wasn't on the floor.

Spoiler

10349386474_2ef06713d2_b.jpg
10349571925_eb7c7e15e0_b.jpg

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.