Kerbal Charter Challenge!

Pretty cool planes!

But I'm tweaking my helicopter for this.

So far it has a top speed of 75 m/s  and a top vertical speed of 130 m/s, so power isn't the issue, but it's a bit touchy keeping it stable at WOT when leaving KSC.

@Pine, are you still discriminating between FAR and Stock Aero? I see all these low fuel consumptions, but either their engines run on dark matter or it's FAR. I can nog possibly use that little fuel in stock.. 

I'd like to know because of the new Aero in 1.2, which gives the need to re-do the challenges :P

dammit... even with OP hybrid planes....... i can't defeat Van disaster's score.....

then again, there's a lot of mistakes i did when was flying it.

score: 2.84 on FAR also still on 1.1.3

Edited by Koolkei

10 hours ago, zolotiyeruki said:

Here's my entry for the minimum-fuel crew transfer:  14.88 * 0.8 / 2 = 5.952

http://imgur.com/a/t8xJv

I think I can do better using command seats.

I'm pretty sure comandseats is the way forward too, I used the 6 seat cabin because it's the same mass as the ridiculously overweight stock 2 seat one. Is there a working TakeCommand?

Adelaar, some of it is that Sxt prop engines are understandably economical, being little prop engines - they are also a lot less powerful under FAR (at least the big one was ) so burn less fuel too. The rest of it is us using light STOL craft & not heavy multijets. Zolotiyeruki seems to be using stock air.

Edited by Van Disaster

2 hours ago, Van Disaster said:

Adelaar, some of it is that Sxt prop engines are understandably economical, being little prop engines - they are also a lot less powerful under FAR (at least the big one was ) so burn less fuel too. The rest of it is us using light STOL craft & not heavy multijets. Zolotiyeruki seems to be using stock air.

I'm not complaining that most others are actually fanatical about getting the most economical aircraft, I was just wondering if there is still discrimination between FAR and Stock. For me, it's not about winning, it's about testing the capabilities of the aircraft I had already developed and giving them purpose :) hence the use of a VTOL jet.

There's a FAR board & a stock board, so I'd assume so. The economy thing *is* interesting & educational, I find - but I still want my craft to seem sensible & look reasonable :P

There is a 1.1.3 TakeCommand, but it seems to want to explode any craft I launch with more than one seat filled. Back to the old method of sticking a detachable pod on the craft, I guess.

I... would not like to fly this thing up to 15,000ft...

29253450994_13191f8d27_b.jpg

2 minutes ago, Van Disaster said:

Well... er... did the shack have to still be there when we left?

29801261181_c47b6d0c9d_b.jpg

:D:D:D:D:D

Just tell the admins at KSC that it was farted up already and it was a rescue mission anyways. They'll buy it.

...and send another plane. Just in case. 

Edited by GDJ

Finally got a plane I'm starting to like... I got rid of FAR and all the planes seem to fly ok now! So I guess I'm doing stock aero.

9Smrfnm.png

Also, I might have a new mission in the challenge tonight! How does a round-the-world flight sound? *wink wink hint hint*

Good luck!

FAR is beautiful when you get the hang of it - but that little line under my name is there for a reason :P I'll send you one of my little planes if you have all the mods ( I think you should have presuming you have aviation lights as well ) - and/or you can send me one of yours & I'll see if it's broken & if I can fix it.

Depends what the challenge involves - I left a plane flying round the world for five days a couple of months ago, I'd rather not do that again! if it's a 30s style flyingboat route, then "ooh". Also "argh", coz FAR water can be unfriendly at times...

Edited by Van Disaster

@Van Disaster, I plan on making the route an extremely open one, just like the airports in the bush charters. I plan on leaving 2 airfields at intervals around kerbin where you can land, in a similar fashion to Solar Impulse. BUT, I also plan on making it a special unlimited mission, where participants aren't competing for fuel efficiency or speed, but the leaderboards end up with the plane's travel specs (cost of fuel used, time flown, crew, cargo, flight speed, everything that seems important), so that people compete for the best all around plane by trying to beat the specs of others in all fields of measure! I'll think some more, but a 30s flying boat route is definitely something that I plan on adding as well! Off do design floating airfields... tomorrow! Tonight I'll have the round-the-world mission up!

EDIT: Already have the locations set! Later I'll write up the briefing, but if you want to start designing stuff, keep in mind the plane has to land obligatorily in these spots as it does a lap around the planet!

Keep in mind the towers are 98 meter tall, for scale!

Spoiler

GO5XEqy.pngCiQqBQC.png

Edited by Pine

Great idea: what if I "asparagus staged" drop tanks that are in mk3 cargo bays? When a tank is out of fuel, open the bay doors (assuming that Gerty is in a good mood), drop the tanks, and close them again! If we have to drop then while I fly over KSC2, I really hope they don't think it's a bombing run...

9 hours ago, Pine said:

@Adelaar, I'm still keeping FAR and stock atmospheres in separate leaderboards, since the difference between them is expressive. But you did emntion 1.2's atmosphere... Is it different than the one in 1.1.3?

Wel yes, Aero in 1.2 is not only calculated by the parts that 'hang in the wind' but also on the shape of the aircraft, meaning that aerodynamica designs have gotten more aerodynamical, andere vice versa. The VTOL I used in this challenge has had it's drag cut by a factor 1,5* compared to 1.1.3!

*Corrected, my memory didn't serve me well.

Edited by Adelaar

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.