Kerbal Charter Challenge!

Hm, now this is an interesting one. I've found some nuclear thermo-ramjets, which, realistically, don't use any fuel because they're basically giant hairdryers ( ok they'd use uranium, but not measurable quantities over a few hours ). However, being ramjets, you can't take off with them so you can't just pretend they're electric engines.

The idea of nuclear powered passenger aircraft is frankly horrifying in concept and cost, but "Supersonic Atomic Flying Boat!" sounds so awesomely retrofuture I can't really resist.

Edited by Van Disaster

So, yeah, this is a bit cheaty ( although the engines are really goddamn heavy ) but if I do a round the world with it can I get some sort of bonus award for "awesome description"? "Mach 2" "Atomic" "Flying Boat" "Circumnavigation" :P also it looks dramatic ( although I'm after a more dramatic cockpit ).

Spoiler

29992738095_a44a96be37_b.jpg
29992737325_8859fb7591_b.jpg
29365276304_70dbc4497c_b.jpg

Edit: yeah, this is more like it.

Spoiler

29365807124_fcba32183f_b.jpg

Also, I remembered the metric for longer passenger trips I was trying to think of, it's simply ( fuel used * hours ) / passengers. That means you can take a few passengers quickly & have the same score as someone else taking lots of pax more slowly. There's only any point when there's a reasonable difference in times between slowest & fastest though.

Edited by Van Disaster

I'd also like to submit a late bid on the Sea Rescue charter.

http://imgur.com/a/ynsok

Our company made an unmanned retrieval vehicle with a front-loading ramp to scoop the capsule out of the sea.

It seems that manned vehicles take priority over unmanned vehicles when docking, so the time switched to capsule's time when it was grabbed. Nonetheless, our engineers think they can calculate the total time anyway.

Grabbing the capsule was achieved at 1:37, which was 44:14 capsule MET, complete stop on the airstrip was at 45:32. Allowing a second for the transition, the total mission time is 176 seconds, or 2:56.

As the capsule was retrieved, the scoring time is 2:56 less 2 minutes, or 56 seconds total score.

This is all in stock 1.1.3 (Mechjeb for info), using 228 units of jet fuel (for 182.4 funds).

1 hour ago, Bomaye said:

Think the challenge is dead......it hasnt been updated for a looong time.;.;

It's only been a week and a half. Say that in 3 months and sure, but Pine is probably just busy with real life.

She's not over until it's over.

Challenge is alive still! Just not really having time to update it, I'm on the last two weeks of tests, finals I guess you'd call them, for my school year. I've been busy studying and when I'm not, I'm too tired to focus much.  As soon as the test week ends this Friday I'll have more time and I'll update the OP! For now though, just proceed as normal. Thanks!

6 hours ago, Pine said:

For now though, just proceed as normal. Thanks!

Oh good. I'm still tweaking my 8 passenger executive jet and it keeps getting better. It's based on a Dassault Falcon 8X.

Oh, a badge!!!! :D I always like a shiny new badge to my signature, shame I noticed it after such a long time after my mission submission :) And nice to see more missions have been added, I'll probably try these rather sooner than later.

Michal.don

hey guys, just thought I'd let everyone know I updated the leaderboards!

Quick announcement about the challenge though: As soon as 1.2 drops (11th of October), it will be the official version for the challenge, and I'll have a 2-week adjustment period for everyone to transition to 1.2 ?(since mods may be incompatible and stuff), and after two weeks, only attempts done in KSP 1.2 will be accepted. (I'll label all entries so far with 1.1.3 once that happens, as to avoid confusion later on, and archive them.)

11 hours ago, Pine said:

Quick announcement about the challenge though: As soon as 1.2 drops (11th of October), it will be the official version for the challenge, and I'll have a 2-week adjustment period for everyone to transition to 1.2 ?(since mods may be incompatible and stuff), and after two weeks, only attempts done in KSP 1.2 will be accepted. (I'll label all entries so far with 1.1.3 once that happens, as to avoid confusion later on, and archive them.)

I doubt we'll get all mods updated in 2 weeks, but ok. Performance will be unchanged in FAR, stock aero should be rather different.

Well, since it looks it has not been done yet, an attempt to rescue the radio tower crew was made. Successfully, even.

https://imgur.com/a/FeSRh

The whole mission took 7:04, slightly ( https://imgur.com/a/JrukP ) damaging the tower in the process, using 1.2 stock and a bit of Mechjeb. Landing those VTOL planes is not as fast as I'd like it to be. Since it was on an active volcano, I really hope it's no big deal about the tower.

Also, the rules say all missions have to return to KSC, so I did, but calculating the time up to the resort only. Used 522 units of fuel for it all, so the cost per kerbal is 209 funds.

So the Kerbalbus 800 Polar pax charter..........

Out of the soup

68slpCp.jpg

Over the Kerbalaya's

tZWI9wY.jpg

Landed a bit far away, stock wheel can't turn so they had to walk *kursed be Bob and his engineering skillz*

uuIDd4Z.jpg

Off from the Pole, in the distance you see the 1230t cargo

uipU8ut.jpg

Home in sight!

ZihkmMH.jpg

Landing attempt nr 4-5ish.......finally home (I swear I need stearable large gear

IU8mkC7.jpg

So score should be:

20800 fuel at start, 2389 when landed 800 passengers: 23,01 :)

All stock

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.