This Day in Spaceflight History

On September 16, 1996, STS-71 and its crew of 6 launched into Earth orbit. They docked with the Mir space station on September 19, making the whole assembly nearly 2 times larger. Astronaut Blaha replaced astronaut Lucid as a crewmember of the Mir. It undocked on September 23 after delivering many supplies and parts needed. It deorbited on September 26 and landed at Cape Canaveral.

Image result for sts-71 launch

On 9/14/2016 at 1:45 PM, The Raging Sandwich said:

On September 14, 1968, the Soviet Zond 5 was launched. After achieving orbit, it was sent into a circumlunar trajectory around the Moon. It flew around the Moon at a high altitude on September 18. Biological payloads were inside as well. The spacecraft survived a 20g reentry and slpashed down on September 21.

...and SLPASHED down...

I already know how to SPLASH down, but... ekhem... How to SLPASH down?

And what biological payloads did it carry? What organisms can survive 200 m/ss acceleration?

9 minutes ago, TheDestroyer111 said:

...and SLPASHED down...

I already know how to SPLASH down, but... ekhem... How to SLPASH down?

And what biological payloads did it carry? What organisms can survive 200 m/ss acceleration?

Sorry for the typo. It carried wine flies, turtles, mealworms, plants, and a bunch of other stuff.

1 minute ago, tater said:

I'm liking the stills, because I can look at it anywhere. I rarely watch videos.

Don't worry, I'm planning on turning the videos into gifs using Imgur so that I can post them here. They'll also be relatively short, at most 3 minutes long.

Edited by The Raging Sandwich

2 hours ago, The Raging Sandwich said:

New idea: Should I make a daily video for whatever happened today in spaceflight history or not? I'm going to make one today using movie maker and see how that goes. Tell me what you think I should do. :)

I think the photos serve perfectly for the historic events :-)

2 hours ago, The Raging Sandwich said:

Don't worry, I'm planning on turning the videos into gifs using Imgur so that I can post them here. They'll also be relatively short, at most 3 minutes long.

That's about 4 minutes too long.  Seriously, howsoever popular, videos are about the worst method of conveying information there is.  (Especially short snippets of factual information like those typically presented here.)

Yeah, I'm not big on videos for content that could be text. In the Blue Origin thread, a video was posted about the upcoming max Q test. It's ~4 minutes, and could have been summed up in a paragraph. A couple videos of actual tests were embedded in that one video, though.

I could see still images, and for certain posts, an embedded video of the actual even in question. Ie: a video of the actual launch mentioned as a link.

On September 17, 1789, astronomer William Herschel discovered Saturn's moon Mimas, known for its giant crater and Death Star-like appearence. [Fun fact about Mimas, its heat signature looks like Pacman! :)]

Image result for saturn's moon mimas

On Septmeber 17, 1930, US astronaut Thomas Stafford was born. He flew on Gemini 6 (where he became part of the first crew to make a controlled rendezvous in orbit) and 9, Apollo 10, and the Apollo-Soyuz Test Project (ASTP). 

Image result for tom stafford

Also on September 17, 1930, US astronaut Edgar Mitchell was born. He flew on Apollo 14 and became the 6th man on the Moon.

Image result for ed mitchell

On September 17, 1985, Soyuz T-14 and its crew of 3 launched into orbit to the Salyut 7 space station.

Image result for soyuz t-14 launch

1 hour ago, The Raging Sandwich said:

On September 17, 1789, astronomer William Herschel discovered Saturn's moon Mimas, known for its giant crater and Death Star-like appearence. [Fun fact about Mimas, its heat signature looks like Pacman! :)]

Image result for saturn's moon mimas

Yay! Pac-Mimas!

On September 18, 1959, the Vanguard 3 Earth orbital probe launched. It was to test radiation and micrometeroid data. During launch, the third stage failed to jettison from the payload.

Image result for vanguard 3 launch

On September 18, 1980, Soyuz 38 and its crew of 2 launched into orbit to Salyut 6.

Image result for soyuz 38 launch

On September 18, 1991, STS-48 and its crew of 6 landed back at Edward's Air Force Base after a 5 day flight.

On September 18, 1995, STS-69 and its crew of 6 landed back at Cape Canaveral.

Image result for sts-69 landing

On September 18, 2006, Soyuz TMA-9 and its crew of 3 including space tourist Anousheh Asnari launched to the ISS on Expedition 14. It docked to the Zvezda module on September 20th.

Image result for soyuz tma-9 launch

10 hours ago, The Raging Sandwich said:

On September 18, 1980, Soyuz 38 and its crew of 2 launched into orbit to Salyut 6.

Image result for soyuz 38 launch

That was Cuba's first manned spaceflight. :P

I'm trying to understand why the flame is blue. I don't think this flight used Syntin.

42 minutes ago, DDE said:

That was Cuba's first manned spaceflight. :P

I'm trying to understand why the flame is blue. I don't think this flight used Syntin.

The Soyuz-U2 (the Syntin variant) didn't fly until 82... Unless there's another variant that used syntin. Maybe the picture's not quite right, or it's an optical illusion, or caused by something else...?

2 hours ago, Mad Rocket Scientist said:

That looks like a colorized B&W photo to me.  Probably whoever colored it was using launches with sytin as a reference.

TBH, I have no idea how syntin burns. I doubt the colour is too different from normal RG-1, since it's just another hydrocarbon.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.