I Love KSP for PS4

This is why I love to play KSP on the PS4

-I can play it laying on/against the couch relaxed

-I can play it with my friends much more easily now

-The PS4 provides a very steady frame rate (I was surprised tbh...) I have yet in my career mode to launch a ship that slows down the system so much that it's impossible or not fun to play the game.

-I can now play for hours and enjoy every minute of it because of how relaxed I'm able to play it.  An hour or an hour and a half sitting behind a desk is a lot for someone like myself, but laying down on a couch in a somewhat slow game like KSP means it's much more enjoyable for me

I will be fair...there are cons

-The controls are kind of wonky, definitely not as easy as they are on the PC

-If you love mods in your KSP game...yeah that's not happening here.  Personally I don't mind, but I know some people out there do

But all in all, PS4 will become my new platform to play KSP

Edited by Frybert

Cool! More power to you. I'm a PC gamer at heart but I can appreciate the laid-back style of reclining on a couch. I just like having a fully fledged keyboard and mouse, personally. Over the past decade, though, the line between PC and console has blurred quite a bit. Honestly, they're both computers.

You can browse the web, download games, and voicechat with friends over multiplayer on a console.

On the PC side, console controllers actually plug right in and work beautifully. In fact, I played Batman Arkham Asylum on PC with an xbox controller.

Well I play it on a PC...while lying down, but I'll grant you I'm probably a bit unusual in that respect (and yes that's with a keyboard and a small, Orochi, mouse).   I was really expecting (hoping for) something a little more tailored to the consoles so I can't really see getting the PS4 version especially since I use the same monitor for computer and PS4.  Well the PS4 is quieter than my gaming rig and uses less power so that might be a reason when I'm in a stock sort of mood.

How is it for controlling planes? I've never actually tried flying anything with a PS4 controller--closest I've come is falling off tall buildings :).  I've been thinking of using the PS4 controller on my PC since my joystick is just too big.

Probably the biggest disadvantage I see is not being able to use a navball texture mod to make it easier to read as I tend to have trouble reading the default navball--the colors are pretty bad IMHO.  Did they keep the UI scalability feature intact--in particular being able to make things like the Navball larger/smaller?

Is it running full 1080p (I haven't seen any screen shots)? 

I've been playing it on Xbox One and I'm enjoying it. I've got quite a beast of a PC and I used to play on PC with various texture mods etc but I do prefer playing games from the sofa! Just taking a bit of time to get used to the controls now....

4 hours ago, RamptantFlamingo247 said:

but laying down on a couch

always the couch...

consolers are a bit of too much for me,they swap keyboard and mouse to a couch,where is the couch while Buzz Aldrin walking on the moon?

So, what you're actually saying is that the console version doesn't really offer any additional advantages? I sit very comfortable in front of my desktop PC, my chair is more comfortable than most couches. I usually chat with friends on steam and Skype and occasionally check my facebook while playing, so there's the social aspect. I also like playing with mods, so there's that.

Don't get me wrong, I'm glad they've released the game to more platforms, it means more income for Squad, which means they'll have a higher budget to further develop the game or possibly make spinoff games.

19 minutes ago, Majorjim said:

LOL, do you really think they will spend the extra money on KSP development?

Maybe they hire Uwe Boll to make a movie about small little green aliens - who eating human brains for "extra money".

4 hours ago, Wallace said:

PCMR wins again! 

I read that as PMRC and wondered what Tipper Gore had to do with this.   If Buzz is WASD, then you just know Tipper is a powerglove kinda girl.  

Edited by klesh

It's incredibly ironic to me that the people who warned about the "typical console gamer" descending on the forum are the same ones belittling those consolers now with "PCMR" nonsense. For shame, I really thought we, as a community, were better than this.

What do you gain by putting down how someone else enjoys the game?

On 7/16/2016 at 11:44 PM, kBob said:

Well I play it on a PC...while lying down, but I'll grant you I'm probably a bit unusual in that respect (and yes that's with a keyboard and a small, Orochi, mouse).   I was really expecting (hoping for) something a little more tailored to the consoles so I can't really see getting the PS4 version especially since I use the same monitor for computer and PS4.  Well the PS4 is quieter than my gaming rig and uses less power so that might be a reason when I'm in a stock sort of mood.

How is it for controlling planes? I've never actually tried flying anything with a PS4 controller--closest I've come is falling off tall buildings :).  I've been thinking of using the PS4 controller on my PC since my joystick is just too big.

Probably the biggest disadvantage I see is not being able to use a navball texture mod to make it easier to read as I tend to have trouble reading the default navball--the colors are pretty bad IMHO.  Did they keep the UI scalability feature intact--in particular being able to make things like the Navball larger/smaller?

Is it running full 1080p (I haven't seen any screen shots)? 

*ignoring all the PCMR baiters...*

Well we all have our preference as to where we play our PC games, but, from what I know, most PC players sit at a desk or of the like.  I was one of those as well.  Consoles do put a larger emphasis on "couch gaming" as well but that's in no way saying that PC's are unable to do so :)

Flying planes?  Well, PC has it's advantages and PS4 has it's advantages as well but I've noticed the controls for the PS4 while flying a plane is just too touchy.  You'd think, for example, moving the joystick to the right halfway between center and full lock would produce the same result in game with the yaw function, however, moving the joystick on the PS4 controller only control how fast the aero functions actually move, not so much how far they move (unless you're very touchy and limited with how much you move it, and coming from a player who's spent most of his recent years in gaming on FPS, I think that's saying a lot)

I haven't checked if they left that in there or not, but I did notice they took out the options to adjust graphical settings...Perhaps the adjustable navball feature is/was in there?  And as such, I am unable to know what resolution the game is played at.  It is definitely at 720, 900, or 1080 though.  A lot of games for the PS4 are coming out at 900, but KSP isn't a very graphically intensive game so a 1080 resolution wouldn't surprise me.

On 7/17/2016 at 2:54 AM, anarkhon said:

always the couch...

consolers are a bit of too much for me,they swap keyboard and mouse to a couch,where is the couch while Buzz Aldrin walking on the moon?

Where was WASD when buzz was on the moon XD  The lunar module used what was called "core rope memory."  Programs weren't uploaded onto a computer, programs WERE the computer.  The computers back in the late 60's were so big and heavy that they wouldn't have been able to effectively and efficiently be placed onto the Apollo missions, so they used hardware computing instead coded ones and zeroes into wires and magnets which was called, at the time, "LOL memory" or "Little Old Lady memory" because to weave the wires, the skill that was needed was so immense that only old women had enough skill to do it :)  It worked like this: to create a 1, weave a wire inside a magnetic "donut" which acted like a transformer, adding charge and if a computer sensed a charge it programmed a 1.  To form a zero, then, weave the wire around the donut resulting in no charge.  This is the kind of technological challenged the engineers faced in the 60's to get men to the moon.  Here's a link to a video which explains it better than I did: 

On July 17, 2016 at 6:21 PM, Red Iron Crown said:

It's incredibly ironic to me that the people who warned about the "typical console gamer" descending on the forum are the same ones belittling those consolers now with "PCMR" nonsense. For shame, I really thought we, as a community, were better than this.

What do you gain by putting down how someone else enjoys the game?

Exactly what I've thought all along.  The people at Flying Tiger are helping to ensure that just about anyone can enjoy the amazing fun of KSP.  Why can't we just accept the fact that we all have our own tastes?

EDIT:

Also, I'm very glad to hear that you like it.  Maybe I can convince my friend to get it on his Xbox...

Edited by Guest

2 hours ago, CliftonM said:

Exactly what I've thought all along.  The people at Flying Tiger are helping to ensure that just about anyone can enjoy the amazing fun of KSP.  Why can't we just accept the fact that we all have our own tastes?

EDIT:

Also, I'm very glad to hear that you like it.  Maybe I can convince my friend to get it on his Xbox...

If he preferes a more relaxed feeling of gaming, tell him this is the way to go.  When I get off of work, I go home and I don't want to go sit behind a computer, I want to go lie down and relax.  So I go home, lay on the couch, boot up KSP on the PS4, and just play for a few hours and it's the most fun I've had in gaming in a while, honestly.  It's like watching tv, except I don't like tv anymore (nothing is on) and gaming is more immersive.  FPS are too tense and fast paced, but KSP on console has just the right amount of relaxed feeling with a challenge added to it.  If this is for him, there's not a better way for him to game on KSP than on a console.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.