Kerbal Cities Pack

amankd

Now, this is a mod that is sorely needed, but then I do have a couple of issues when I ran a test with this..

First, off the roads, while maintained gave me a bit of a headache when it comes to driving. Seems the road into Maryville was in fact too steep to lead into the town..(I know that there are tools there to sort of flatten the road, so that's the one thing (Though I personally would like to see things like interchanges and what not. (I'm just wondering what I could have t do to lower that one high bridge section down to a more reasonable level. (If this uses Kerbal Konstructs and there are tools to flatten the terrain a bit, then I'm all for it.. Roads are supposed to be like that, (and yes while some sections could be transition table, it shouldn't be too steep.)

second, I was thinking about Road signs. Now, this was an improvement but then I think we need something like real roadsigns in this mod as well (and I bet there are ways to modfiy the exisiting road signs.. (This was a bit of a plus, as if you have the right to do this.

Third... Well considering that Kerbal Space Center and Kerbin side work hand in hand,  it would be I feel okay to ove the Kampus of the Kerbinside Mod, say to the outskirts of Marys ville (Provided AlphaAsh will giv eyou his blessing.

I mean the position is nice and the city is, in fact, worth its work.

I'm hoping to see more updates to this mod in the future..

(And yes the KK Destructibility should be on, or implemented, after all it would be fun to have mock battles and wars I feel..)

Anyway, Keep up the excellent work..

(Also here's an idea, you got a bad right next to KSC, why not put a city there and in fact put in a harbor (Complete with Docks and ports.. Just a thought).

Space_Coyote

Sorry for the double post but I thought of an idea just now, and it involves Road building and of course Splines..

(I'm not a modeler but rather a gamer who thinks kind of outside the box here)

But wouldn't it be easier to actually use the tools to create roads using Splines rather than "Physical models?" (Granted the idea for what is going on in the city pack, is great but we do need to look into the connecting roads (so that way we can build roads/Freeways to each city in the future.

(And yes, I could actually look at the terrain and start planning out cities if folks want me to try.. Like I said I'm not a guy who can build models but place them down so that they can look fairly good.

(But please get back to us on the idea using splines. It might be feasible to turn the city pack into a full blown Kerbin City development kit.

Just my Thoughts

Space_Coyote

I think the devs here could look into this and get 

• 1 month later...
On 21/06/2017 at 2:58 PM, KerbolExplorer said:

is there a way to get that city on the space center away

Hi, simply open the KerbalKonstructs editor window  Ctrl K   then select local instances,  then at the bottom of the gui window  reduce the range to minimum,  and the city will appear in the list,  click on the city name , another gui will open , this is the actual tool used to place an remove objects   and at the bottom of that window simply select delete. and the city will disappear.  Now on the main window click the save button to save your changes and close the gui either by mouse click or ctrl K again.

On 26/6/2017 at 1:25 PM, SpannerMonkey(smce) said:

Hi, simply open the KerbalKonstructs editor window  Ctrl K   then select local instances,  then at the bottom of the gui window  reduce the range to minimum,  and the city will appear in the list,  click on the city name , another gui will open , this is the actual tool used to place an remove objects   and at the bottom of that window simply select delete. and the city will disappear.  Now on the main window click the save button to save your changes and close the gui either by mouse click or ctrl K again.

thanks.I want to do this because i feel that it is unrealistic having a city so close to a space centerwere rockets crasehs all the time

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
On 7/18/2016 at 2:15 AM, amankd said:

KERBAL CITIES PACK

Finally quick and simple and INFINITY various cities are upon us, thanks to the blender city plugin "Scene City" which the Facebook community of ksp were kind enough to crowd fund the purchase of, this plugin allows me to model say 11 different building types of different sizes along with a set of roads, i click generate with some perameters and BOOM we have a city! BUT the bad news ("how can there be bad news with something this awesome" i hear you cry!) the process of turning this into a city is fairly long ( about a days work on and off with bug testing) so i cant have THAT many city variants in the game so im aiming for about 20 of varying sizes to be getting on with, possibly adding more later.

what this mod contains

right now? not very much, it is basically my test city, integrated with KSC, to allow people to gauge the performance hit, see what it looks like and how it works and to get an awesom city to play around in

some info

My codevelopers! I'm happy to be co-developing this mod primarily with Fast_de_la_speed, the developer of the Fastcorp line or mods and a little on the side from Jatwaa, better known as Billy Winn Jr and announced by the ksp FB page for having the best laugh in the business! you should follow him closely on youtube for any big releases as he will be the first to know!

this mod utilises Kerbal Konstructs, but is incompatible with kerbinside (for the simple fact that at this momnent it spawns in the same place) you can move it around using the Ctrl+K key menu if you so desire

features: both implemented and planned

basic proceduraly generated city with a variety of buildings and road networks

network of interconnected cites spread over the entirety of kerbin at approx 20km intervals (minimal rendering hit)

destructible KK (this may get released sparately) the ability to have the collision of a vehicle with a building cause it to alter the transforms of the static, despawn it and spawn a damage model with lots of FX similar to the ksp stock method ( i have no idea where to start so if anyone wants t help out do gimme a ping)

FAQ

why is the city where it is? in my opinion a race that would build its VAB less than 100 meters from the launch pad isnt gonna sweat about building a major city just the other side of it, kerbals hate commute times, but you are more than welcome to up-sticks and move them where ever you like as detailed above! it is mostly there because as im testing it i don't want to drive miles and miles!

what is the performance hit? ksp is a very poorly optimised game in reality, and despite the low poly count of my buildings they still take up alot of processor so the hit is quite heavy but i have no idea how heavy as ive only ever played it on my pc and i need a wide spectum to put a spec together (more on that later)

what YOU can do!

Bugs we arnt many are we so you guys are our major bug finders! find something that doesn't look right let us know! is there a step in the ajoining roads? is there a texture out of place? is the city inexplicably floating 2km above the ground? let us know where it occured and we will get on to it

Performance! this is possible a first, a mod with recommended specs! what we are after is a wide number of people with specs varying from the ludicrus to the potato to let us know how it runs and on what settings, so we can put together a min on max quality a min on med and a min on low settings and so people know what to expect

Ideas if you have any ideas for features, improvements or how to complete my ambitious goals please do give a comment 

models if you have any ideas for ksp buildings, houses ect please let me know, or better yet give them a  model, and i will see what i can do with them, more variety is allwasy better (buildings are 10, 20, and 40 meter square tiles)

placers  and finally if you have a passion for placing cities and roads over the entirety of kerbin give us a shout! its a tiresom and ardous job to be doing when we could be creating more and better cities

contributers

these are the amazing few who have donated and supported this mod so far through the gofundme campaign linked as the donation link on the space dock page:

Nathan Johnson-- £10

Billy Winn--£20

Anon--£70 you are amazing

and FINALLY the mod link!

Get Kerbal Cities Pack Here!

p.s. i will get an image album and some decent vids up here as soon as ive got a decent internet connection!

Will there be an option where you can also make work with KSC++?

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
On 07/09/2017 at 5:12 PM, Spartwo said:

Any possibility of smaller cities? I love the cities but the size isn't as suitable for towns and villages. I might try myself to cut them in half and quarter.

unfortunatly i kinda fell out of ksp for a while and i was never able to properly do the roads and the dev who i was working with wasnt able to spare the time, i do inten=d to pick it up and models wise i have every size city from a 100x100 up to a 1.5kmx1.5km city scape ready to impliment and place i just lack the time to place them and to link them up adequatly, i do hope that if i get back into ksp i will be able to give this mod the justice it deserves and maybe be able to find some people to aid in its development by populating the planet with the various cities as a precursour to connecting them via roads as planned who knows 

On 22/04/2017 at 1:09 PM, AtleSt said:

is it just me that has noticed the floating building in the city?

yea just an incy wincy little bug where i forgot to deleate the model from the spawner

On 06/08/2017 at 9:43 AM, Vonnmillard said:

Will there be an option where you can also make work with KSC++?

so far its working with the full kerbinside mod, havent tried it with ksp++ would have to mod the road direction i assume

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

So I'm a fan of the Kerbal Cities mod put out here. Granted, I wouldn't mind the primary download not having the row of various city modules for the purposes of performance, but it's still freaking fantastic.

I'm also a user of the KSC++ mod as well as Kerbin Side and various other Kerbal Konstructs mods; I am fully in line with the urban development of Kerbin. It's a shame then that there's a bit of an incompatibility issue with KSC++ and Kerbal Cities.

t8H2NOb.jpg
6KcGdy7.jpg

PoZoEB8.jpg
E5Z6d2C.jpg
KSC++ and Kerbal Cities seem to be a case of construction collision. Not only does the highway pass right through an added building, but the highway is also low enough that players can't drive their vehicles under it, and the vehicles driving on the roads added by KSC++ end up clipping through the highway to get around. Maybe the mod author of KSC++ could give you a way to add traffic through his methods? Either way, it's kind of an issue to play with both until a compatibility patch or edit is made.
Edited by Wagoo
Proper Imgur formatting

• 5 months later...

Well I'm going to wait till the update and then decidde..

But then I was wondering on the road issue why the folks who are making this wonderful mod aren't using an asset called Easy Roads Version 3 (there is a Free version at the Unity Asset store.. and can be used in Kerbal Version of Unity (201 p3.1)

In fact here's a youtube channel that explores this. including the handling of terrain.

I'm just curious as to why roads like this can't be used in Kerbal to make a road infrastructure..IF there were a way to get into the Planet Kerbin and be able to add this in, this would actually save a lot of time buidling things like The roads that exist in the pack..

So my question is.. Why hasn't anyone looked into this?

Maybe somone fromthe group could enlightne me on this? 

Space_Coyote

Edited by Space_Coyote

• 1 month later...
On 1/27/2017 at 5:39 AM, The_Right_Arm said:

Thought I would share my experiences with the mod so far.  Everything installed ok, looked good, etc.  So I went ahead and grabbed a tank and drove it from the KSC into town.  I'll admit it took me a few tries to do this.  The road is very narrow, even though the tank I was driving wasn't particularly huge, it was still quite hard to keep it off the walls of the highway, and on the down slope heading into town, I managed to drive clean off the bridge.  4km long bridge: 1, me 0.  After a few more tries I decided to forgo the bridge and just off road my way into town which worked fine.  The city itself looks quite nice; it's deserted but not much that can be done there.  I drove around on it absolutely fine, didn't have any trouble with getting stuck or anything.  Performance-wise there is a noticeable hit to fps when the city is in view, but all things considered it's acceptable and I don't have any problems controlling whatever I'm using.  The only problem I really have is that the city mod makes KSP crazy unstable.  It has a nasty habit of crashing, usually after a revert or after freshly spawning in on the runway.  However, I only seem to have 4 crash folders, even though I have crashed way more than 4 times.  I can give you the 4 folders I do have if it helps.  I have gone through the trouble of confirming that this was the mod responsible for the crashes, I removed the mod from the gamedata folder to see if things improved and the game has not crashed since.  Overall, a very good mod, I quite like it, just needs a little more stability.  I look forward to seeing what comes next for kerbal cities.

id appreciate thouse crash folders, it is most likly ram related as the entire city model must be stored in the ram, are you running x64? how about installed system ram? i have 24 gb and havent had a crash in months haha

On 5/25/2018 at 5:50 AM, Space_Coyote said:

But then I was wondering on the road issue why the folks who are making this wonderful mod aren't using an asset called Easy Roads Version 3 (there is a Free version at the Unity Asset store.. and can be used in Kerbal Version of Unity (201 p3.1)

In fact here's a youtube channel that explores this. including the handling of terrain.

I'm just curious as to why roads like this can't be used in Kerbal to make a road infrastructure..IF there were a way to get into the Planet Kerbin and be able to add this in, this would actually save a lot of time buidling things like The roads that exist in the pack..

Space_Coyote

ill deffo look into it, right now the roads are produced by taking a kerbin height map and applying ity overt the length of the road with some smoothing, a slow and imprecise method, id love to be able to shave some time off this

On 5/25/2018 at 5:50 AM, Space_Coyote said:

Space_Coyote

the main issue i can see however is that ksp planets arent standard unity terrain (which is flat) but it would be cool to see if it works

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.