Weather Chat Megathread

ProtoJeb21

Two days ago it was in the 70's (°F), beautiful weather. Yesterday morning it was 17°F. This morning it's 39°F and raining with high winds (gusts up to 60mph, nearly 'gale force')... that big storm is hitting us. Due to the current position of the storm, the winds are blowing in from the ocean..... I was just outside for a few; How nice to be able to smell the sea air from here (I'm about 20 miles inland).

I live near Dallas, TX. That about sums it up. You can probably see what we have to deal with.Half the time we're baking, the other half  we're freezing, and don't even get me STARTED on summer. You think an oven is hot? Well, it is, but that's nothing compared to the dog days (P.S. R.I.P. Gabe the Dog) of Texas summer. Thank God for A/Cs. I don't know how we would live without them. Probably just fine, but I sure as all heck ain't taking that chance.

20 minutes ago, TopHeavy11 said:

I live near Dallas, TX. That about sums it up.

But it's a dry heat.... lmao....  

Sorry, couldn't help myself... I live just north of Tampa, Florida. And I know just what you mean about summer  :cool:

Edited by Just Jim

Just now, Just Jim said:

But it's a dry heat.... lmao....  

Sorry, couldn't help myself... I live just north of Tampa, Florida... and I know just what you mean  :cool:

Trust me, the "dry heat is better" myth is just that. A myth. And it's actually at least at 50% humidity at all times, believe it or not, so...does it count as a damp heat? IDK

10 minutes ago, TopHeavy11 said:

Trust me, the "dry heat is better" myth is just that. A myth. And it's actually at least at 50% humidity at all times, believe it or not, so...does it count as a damp heat? IDK

I was stationed at Fort Sam in San Antonio for a while, and looking back, I think the only real difference is here you sweat a little more, there you burn a little faster. Either way, summer can quite literally kill you.... :wink:

Edited by Just Jim

@Just Jim: Yeah, but there, you had mandatory PT... nothing like a few thousand pushups, jumping jacks (side straddle hop), Hello Dollies, and a five mile run to help you sweat and lose the weight... in Florida I am sure you don't have a daily AM PT formation... :cool:

On ‎3‎/‎13‎/‎2017 at 6:04 PM, Firemetal said:

20-40 degrees Fahrenheit. Snow storm tonight. Sledding tomorrow. :D 

Where I live we don't venture outside the house unless the outside temp. is above 50 degrees. This winter has been exceptionally warm, rarely dipping below 40 degrees. Some snow would be nice, but that's only once in ten years and even then we rarely get more then a few inches. While folks in New York are bracing for a huge snowstorm, we are outside in t-shirts. Southern winters.

4 hours ago, The Dunatian said:

Where I live we don't venture outside the house unless the outside temp. is above 50 degrees. This winter has been exceptionally warm, rarely dipping below 40 degrees. Some snow would be nice, but that's only once in ten years and even then we rarely get more then a few inches. While folks in New York are bracing for a huge snowstorm, we are outside in t-shirts. Southern winters.

Well it has gotten warmer and the snow has just about melted. But I got some sledding in and used my knowledge of aerodynamics to help me steer. (It worked actually to an extent) I also built a snow Kerbal. But now the snow is gone. And certain people still don't believe in global warming. :huh: But yes it has been quite warm this summer. There is a definite climate change going on and we are definitely speeding it up.

Fire

22 hours ago, Firemetal said:

Well it has gotten warmer and the snow has just about melted. But I got some sledding in and used my knowledge of aerodynamics to help me steer. (It worked actually to an extent) I also built a snow Kerbal. But now the snow is gone. And certain people still don't believe in global warming. :huh: But yes it has been quite warm this summer. There is a definite climate change going on and we are definitely speeding it up.

Fire

Global warming doesn't actually exist. It is a figment of your imagination. You thought Harvest was real as well, the planet rumored to orbit in the same place as global warming. It was just a recolored picture of Tylo, just as pictures of global warming are just manipulated pictures of Earth. You fell for that, didn't you? It could happen to the best of us. Just remember that global warming doesn't exist; never has, never will. It is a figment of your imagination.

Do you get what I was referencing? :sticktongue::sticktongue::sticktongue::sticktongue::sticktongue::sticktongue::sticktongue::sticktongue:

All jokes and weird animated Kerbal emotes aside, I just HATE how the snow melts. When I see patches of grass from where snow (that used to be a FOOT HIGH) has melted, I have the same reaction as someone who finds their dog chewing on the science project they were working on for 3 weeks and counts for 50% of their final high school grade.

Clear here, just took my Celestron NexStar 4SE out and looked at a few galaxies (all were dim/invisible); waiting to image Jupiter.

The snow here is annoying, because during the day it's soft but at night it freezes again.

22 hours ago, Firemetal said:

I also built a snow Kerbal.

Sounds cool.

The weather during the last half-hour (no pictures, sorry):

17:05 CET, Helsingborg, Sweden: Clear skies, sunny, no wind.

17:05 CET, Helsingborg, Sweden: Suddenly cloudy, heavy sleets of rain.

17:10 CET, Helsingborg, Sweden: Sunny again.

17:15 CET, Helsingborg, Sweden: Raining.

17:25 CET, Helsingborg, Sweden: Sunny once again.

17:30 CET, Helsingborg, Sweden: GODDAMN HAILSTORM.

Swedish weather, folks. More unpredictable than next Saturday's lottery numbers. 

Edited by TheEpicSquared

On 3/16/2017 at 7:24 AM, TopHeavy11 said:

I live near Dallas, TX. That about sums it up.

DALLAS?!?!?!?!?! HAH! It was SO cold for me when I went out there! I guess West Texaners have a better heat tolerance compared to you Easterners.

(Also, totally off-topic, are you looking forward to the Cowboy's football season?)

2 hours ago, DarkOwl57 said:

DALLAS?!?!?!?!?! HAH! It was SO cold for me when I went out there! I guess West Texaners have a better heat tolerance compared to you Easterners.

This meme sums up what the weather is like down here.

920x920.jpg

3 hours ago, DarkOwl57 said:

(Also, totally off-topic, are you looking forward to the Cowboy's football season?)

I guess?? I'm an Aggie, but I watch the Cowboys when there isn't an A&M game on as well.

(Just don't hate me if your a Longhorn. We're all KSPers aren't we?)

6 minutes ago, TopHeavy11 said:

I guess?? I'm an Aggie, but I watch the Cowboys when there isn't an A&M game on as well.

(Just don't hate me if your a Longhorn. We're all KSPers aren't we?)

Aggie? Aggie?! AGGIE?!?!?!?!?!?!?!

I SHOULSMITYOU!!!

HAIL THE TECH EMPIRE!!!

(Sorry for the 72 font, but I live like 45 minutes away from Lubbock so.....)

1 minute ago, Galileo said:

All my months of looking, and I have never found another KSPer from Texas. I hail from Austin and bleed burnt orange. Oh but how I miss the A&M and UT rivalry. And to the Red Raider in this thread, howdy!

What does a trio of Texan KSPers do? Play KSP and go completely off-topic arguing about sports rivalries!

Howdy! How's your weather going? (That is what this thread is for XD)

Wait... A Longhorn? so we've got an Aggie, a Longhorn, and a Raider. All we're missing is a bear and a Horned Toad and we've got the entire state!

1 minute ago, TopHeavy11 said:

What does a trio of Texan KSPers do? Play KSP and go completely off-topic arguing about sports rivalries!

Eat sleep and live football

Just now, DarkOwl57 said:

Howdy! How's your weather going? (That is what this thread is for XD)

Wait... A Longhorn? so we've got an Aggie, a Longhorn, and a Raider. All we're missing is a bear and a Horned Toad and we've got the entire state!

Don't forget the cougars!

there are others, but they are less relevant 

Edited by Galileo

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.