Weather Chat Megathread

ProtoJeb21

Came back from Maryland, near the Chesapeake, yesterday. Don't like the weather, even though it was nice and sunny. 95 F (yes, I'm using the dreaded imperial system) with 60-something percent humidity. Therefore, feeling like 115 F as in the helpfully provided chart. Terrible when you are walking at least like 2 miles per day, maybe more.

The humidity was the killing thing. Sweating doesn't work to cool yourself off.

Give me extreme cold any day, prefer it more.

Edited by qzgy

3 hours ago, qzgy said:

Came back from Maryland, near the Chesapeake, yesterday. Don't like the weather, even though it was nice and sunny. 95 F (yes, I'm using the dreaded imperial system) with 60-something percent humidity. Therefore, feeling like 115 F as in the helpfully provided chart. Terrible when you are walking at least like 2 miles per day, maybe more.

The humidity was the killing thing. Sweating doesn't work to cool yourself off.

Give me extreme cold any day, prefer it more.

I LIVE IN THAT AREA!!!!! AND HAD TO DO YARD WORK!!!!

The East Pacific's been producing a train of storms in the past two weeks, with 5 named storms (Eugene-Irwin), including two major hurricanes (and potentially soon-to-be three) forming. The Atlantic is really quiet, with only the short lived Tropical Storm Don, though this is pretty typical, it seems. The West Pacific finally woke up, and two of the storms (including the first typhoon), may potentially interact due to the Fujiwhara effect.

Just now, SaturnianBlue said:

The East Pacific's been producing a train of storms in the past two weeks, with 5 named storms (Eugene-Irwin), including two major hurricanes (and potentially soon-to-be three) forming. The Atlantic is really quiet, with only the short lived Tropical Storm Don, though this is pretty typical, it seems. The West Pacific finally woke up, and two of the storms (including the first typhoon), may potentially interact due to the Fujiwhara effect.

lol, I had a bus driver who we called ms. don.... Super nice bus driver, the best one I ever had

Didn't know where to put it, so i put it here. Climate isn't exactly weather but nevertheless ...

Swiss glacier melting is, as the high arctic glaciers already are since a few years, thought to be irreversible now even if warming was stopped (which is unlikely, to say the least). This is a newspaper announcement in German, i read a publication is in preparation by the university of Zurich. Irreversibility is due to glacier dynamics, once the insulating reflecting snow cover is gone and replaced by darker dust and soot and  surrounding areas are exposed and free of snow and ice, taking up heat of the sun instead of reflecting, then the melting accelerates in a positive feedback. It is thought that 90% of the Swizz glacier's ice mass - compared to the maximum in the early 19th century - will be gone until 2100; more than 50% is already lost.

I remember paraglading over the Aletsch and Oberaar in the early late 90s/2000s when one could see the change from year to year. They were an impressive sites (and produced bumpy thermals), a pity that the younger ones won't see that because they already retreated and gave way to mountain lakes. High resolution satellite images give an impression of the former outlines.

Greenland is probably next, the same process has already begun there. It might go faster than is thought now once the tops of mountains peek through :-/

I felt like noting that :-)

Edited by Green Baron

The tropics have been quite interesting to watch. First you had the third exceptionally active July in the East Pacific in a row (five named storms and one depression), then the  Fujiwhara effect between Noru and Kulap, then FOUR tropical cyclones lasting over a week in the EPac, then Noru eating Kulap, then Noru's out-of-the-blue explosive intensification into a SUPER TYPHOON, and now the threat of Noru upon Japan has been joined by the high potential of two new tropical cyclones in the Atlantic. It was unusual to have 5 named storms before August - quicker than last year - and may suggest an even more active and possibly more destructive season. Uh oh.

in the meantime, Typhoon Noru appears to be preparing for a burst of intensification. I can tell when this is about to happen when the storm contracts and becomes more circular/symmetrical, with a smaller but better defined eye forming. Literally every time I've noticed this process this year, I've been right. So far it's happened with Hurricanes Dora, Eugene, Fernanda (which got to Cat 4!), and Hilary. In addition, the rainfall totals for the southern Japanese islands could be over a FOOT or two by the time the storm is done. I feel bad for them.

Current path projection for Typhoon Noru, in case anyone's interested:

wp201707.gif

Image from Weather Underground. I highly recommend this site for any weather enthusiast.

Let's see... I spent a day in Phoenix this summer (one was enough), I had five consecutive days of +100 degree Fahrenheit highs this year, and I once received a tornado warning meant for another town. And that's all (except insurance is going to cover a new roof due to five seconds of hail).

Windy.  Rainy.  Outer bands of hurricaney.

9 hours ago, Cydonian Monk said:

Guess I'll just stay on vacation for another couple days and let Houston flood.

I just spent a week out of town with no internet access.  Got back Tuesday night to hurricane news.

First, the sun goes out, now this...

Edited by razark

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.