Weather Chat Megathread

ProtoJeb21

On 12/1/2017 at 2:27 AM, YNM said:

I had no idea we can even have tropical cyclones...

Cyclone Dahlia

Has it gone too hot or what ?

Nope, it's normal for tropical cyclones to form in this area of the world. Earlier this year, there was Cyclone Ernie several hundred miles south of Dahlia's current location, with winds of 150 mph at peak intensity. 

52 minutes ago, ProtoJeb21 said:

Nope, it's normal for tropical cyclones to form in this area of the world. Earlier this year, there was Cyclone Ernie several hundred miles south of Dahlia's current location, with winds of 150 mph at peak intensity. 

Yeah, but having one forming such close to the (java) island is really not normal at all. Your "earlier this year" is actually the last season and not this season. "Ernie" being the name from TCWC Perth and not Jakarta shows it doesn't form on our location... ish, unlike both Dahlia and Cempaka. I've tried seeking past tracks, and the closest one to form is sometimes near southern Sumatra (alright, that's also how Dahlia forms). Many system ends at the Sunda strait, but there are never any formation there. the Lesser Sunda Islands can be "overrun" by such cyclones but they form quite far from the premises.

Edited by YNM

4 hours ago, dundun92 said:

HOUSTON HAS A 90% CHANCE OF SNOW! :)

Crap.  I can't remember the last time we saw snow.

Of course, it's not cold enough so it won't stick and it's going to happen overnight, so I'm not sure it really counts.  Snow in Houston only counts if someone sees it.  (It's quite amusing to see an entire office building of adults standing outside, just to watch snow falling.)

3 hours ago, dundun92 said:

For the first time since moving from ohio in 2014, I have seen snow.

Over a decade ago, we actually had a white x-mas.  The only one in Houston history.  About a decade ago we had a decent snowfall that actually stuck around for a day.  Only an inch or so, but that's more than I can ever remember seeing.  (And if the roads freeze here, STAY OFF OF THEM.  You lived in Ohio, so you might know how to handle it, but no one around here does.)

Edit: Still just rain here...

Edit 2: Now it's snow.

Side note: When moving into a new place, makes sure that
A. The heater works.
B. The breakers are $#(*&@ labeled...

Edited by razark

Finally after 5 years of waiting, we finally get a snowy christmas (hopefully). They say its going to snow this weekend and i see a little bit of hail on my window, so that could be a good sign!

2 hours ago, razark said:

Crap.  I can't remember the last time we saw snow.

Of course, it's not cold enough so it won't stick and it's going to happen overnight, so I'm not sure it really counts.  Snow in Houston only counts if someone sees it.  (It's quite amusing to see an entire office building of adults standing outside, just to watch snow falling.)

Over a decade ago, we actually had a white x-mas.  The only one in Houston history.  About a decade ago we had a decent snowfall that actually stuck around for a day.  Only an inch or so, but that's more than I can ever remember seeing.  (And if the roads freeze here, STAY OFF OF THEM.  You lived in Ohio, so you might know how to handle it, but no one around here does.)

Edit: Still just rain here...

Edit 2: Now it's snow.

Side note: When moving into a new place, makes sure that
A. The heater works.
B. The breakers are $#(*&@ labeled...

Uhh... the snow is sticking!

720ad4fced058237a2f582657689a821.jpg

6 hours ago, dundun92 said:

Uhh... the snow is sticking!

Yeah.  Just came in from outside.  Woke up one of the kids for this (the other one just doesn't care...)

This just ain't normal.  I still fully expect it to be gone by sunrise, but I'm not sure right now.  I haven't seen this much snow in years.

Edited by razark

18 minutes ago, razark said:

Houston looks weird in snow.  I almost missed a few turns on my drive this morning, since I didn't recognize the intersections.

And I don't think I've ever seen a full-sized snowman around here before.

How many inches so far?

Over here in West Texas it's like 20º but the sky is clear as water. So yay

4 hours ago, _Augustus_ said:

Winter Storm Benji is on its way to here....

*excited screaming*

I may get up to 5-6 inches of snow from Benji. Granted, it's not on a school day, but makes for a prefect excuse to stay home all day :P

It's also quite ridiculous how TEXAS is getting half a foot of snow (7" in Corpus Christi) after getting hammered by a Category 4 hurricane, biblical flooding, abnormally high fall temperatures, and a surprise drought. What is wrong with 2017

34 minutes ago, ProtoJeb21 said:

It's also quite ridiculous how TEXAS is getting half a foot of snow (7" in Corpus Christi) after getting hammered by a Category 4 hurricane, biblical flooding, abnormally high fall temperatures, and a surprise drought. What is wrong with 2017

It was cold enough to freeze this morning (25º) and not a single flake of snow is remotely close. What is wrong with 2017

I loved that quietness after a snowfall when i was living in continental Europe. Here where i am now it is often so quiet at night. Though my tinnitus is still ok ... :-)

Canary islands, local windsystems: 0-1bft to the right where the water is flat, 5-6bft to the left where the foamtips are. Sailing here can be demanding and rewarding. Sea is about 550m below and foreground 6-7km away

iXMbYZT.jpg

Edited by Green Baron

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.