Weather Chat Megathread

ProtoJeb21

Tonight, that monster winter storm will begin to hammer where I live. About 1-3 inches of snow expected tonight, with 3-5 inches throughout the day on Thursday up until the early afternoon. Temperatures will get as low as 5 F (-15 C), but wind chills will be well below 0 F (-17.8 C) due to high winds of at least 20-40 mph. After that, temperatures will plummet dramatically. Friday’s temps will be betweeen 10 and -1 F (-12.2 C to -18.3 C), and Saturday will be incredibly cold - getting no warmer than 8 F (-13.3 C) but dropping as low as -8 F (-22.2 C). I dread to see how low the wind chills will get. 

Severe weather advisories and snow up the entire East Coast, temperatures colder than those on Mars, a giant “bomb cyclone”, people freezing to death...what an absolutely fantastic way to start 2018.

Seriously, why can’t the universe just give us a break from freak weather events and the misfortunes it causes?

Edited by ProtoJeb21

Well, no snow here, but it's really cold, and I just heard they got some north and inland from here. I have to go check my plants, but they were covered, and I don't think we got any frost, so hopefully they'll be OK.  Tonight is supposed to be in the 30's... which is really cold for central Florida... so I may be bringing them inside.

Apparently the 2017 Pacific Typhoon season is still going on because of this measly little tropical depression that formed on the 30th and just won’t degenerate. I think this is one of a small amount of Typhoon Seasons where it spans two calendar years. In fact, this season is just 3 days short of spanning one entire year. 

20 hours ago, ProtoJeb21 said:

Severe weather advisories and snow up the entire East Coast, temperatures colder than those on Mars, a giant “bomb cyclone”, people freezing to death...what an absolutely fantastic way to start 2018.

Seriously, why can’t the universe just give us a break from freak weather events and the misfortunes it causes?

I'm towards the edge of said storm, but it's snowing pretty decently here. Probably going to be 3-5" accumulation when all's said and done. The thing that really worries me is the forecast for Saturday. The high is supposed to be 1 F (-17.2 C), with winds up to 20 mph.

Winter Storm Grayson is currently undergoing bombogenesis (rapid intensification) and is expected to bring blizzard conditions all across the East Coast, from Maine to northern North Carolina. My area is getting near-blizzard conditions, with a total of up to 10” of snow expected. 

2 minutes ago, IncongruousGoat said:

I'm towards the edge of said storm, but it's snowing pretty decently here. Probably going to be 3-5" accumulation when all's said and done. The thing that really worries me is the forecast for Saturday. The high is supposed to be 1 F (-17.2 C), with winds up to 20 mph.

Wow, that’s going to be a LOT colder than my Saturday, with temps ranging from 9 F to -10 F and rather moderate winds. 

The snow here is just about done, with a grand total of 12-16 inches. However, the winds are ridiculous, blowing snow absolutely everywhere and reducing visibility to like a quarter mile. Sustained winds are at 20-25 mph with gusts exceeding 30-40 mph. Surprisingly, it isn’t too cold, with an actual temperature of 22 F (-5.6 C) and a wind chill temp of 7 F (-13.9 C). But of course it’s going to get worse (temps as low as 0 F tomorrow).

Winter Storm Grayson is looking absolutely amazing and very well organized on satellite imagery. I won’t be surprised if it begins to acquire subtropical characteristics before making landfall. 

Edited by ProtoJeb21

Day 2 after the storm. We're at 10F, with a wind chill of -9... and that's midday with the sun out. We're at 1ft of snow (officially), with drifts 2ft to 3ft. Snowplow came through yesterday evening and left a ridge along my front lawn that's about 6ft high. I'm at the back end of the block, so they push all the snow down the block up onto my lawn (or most of it anyway). Thankfully, our skilled plow driver turns and cuts the blade so as not to leave the ridge across my driveway entrance.

• 2 weeks later...
2 hours ago, razark said:

Houston is currently in the midst of its second blizzard of this winter, once again bringing the city to a standstill.

While the snow isn't really sticking, it's not melting as soon as it hits the ground either.

And the third overall snowfall. Its a lot colder than the first time so it isnt melting quickly. 

12 minutes ago, Cydonian Monk said:

Lol. Ice storm with a bit of snow, sure. Still can't get anywhere up here in NW Houston on account of it.

All I really know is it's cold and I suddenly want some Brooklyn style pizza that I can't get.

Most of the ice seems to be condensation that has frozen, or rain/sleet that has refrozen.  Everything's just covered with a layer of ice glazing.

They closed the center and sent us home at 10:30.  About 5:00, I had to get into my truck.  The door was frozen shut.  Haven't seen it like that in a long while.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.