Weather Chat Megathread

ProtoJeb21

https://www.google.es/amp/s/delcamp.cat/amp/meteodelcampcat/cau-forta-tempesta-calamarsa-camp-tarragona

It may be in another language but you only need 2 look at the picture.

We have been getting lotsa of rain and frosted dew last week (weird in Spain) , and it snowed at 28m over sea level inland and hail in the seashore blocking some roads, with temperatures reaching minus 0 C° near the sea at night and even colder in the countryside, with -15 C° in the mountains at noon.

We might have had a warm January but winter nor climate change has not forgotten about us. And we Spaniards are used to dry and hot weather... You can imagine how it went. :P

At least we don’t get hit by cyclones (Murphy please do not) And poor guys if those islands :( 

• 2 weeks later...

Can I just say how TERRIBLE the committee for Pacific Typhoon names is at name retirement? This year they retired the named Kai-Tak and Tembin, both of which were the final named storms of 2017. I understand Tembin (it was the deadliest typhoon of the year), but why Kai-Tak? And why not the two costliest typhoons of the season, Lan and Hato? The latter was one of the most destructive typhoons on record, inflicting nearly $7 billion USD after striking China in August. Typhoon Lan was also quite costly, inflicting $2 billion USD after striking Japan with a wind field almost 1,400 miles across. Somehow, though, neither of those names were retired. And this isn’t just a 2017 problem as well; it’s been going on for YEARS now. In 2016, the billion-dollar category 5 Super Typhoon Nepartek and the extremely deadly Typhoon Lionrock weren’t retired either. There are a lot more examples out there, and it makes the organization in charge of retiring and picking typhoon names seem like it can’t do its job right. 

(I have been waiting for over a year to finally complain about this)

1 hour ago, cubinator said:

I had to drive home in over a decimeter of snow just now, and I nearly got stuck several times. I got no more than halfway up the driveway, and that'll have to do for today.

Snow Winter tires. Gotta have your winter tires. My Yaris can claw its way up a small hill and out of our townhouse complex in a foot of snow with some good winter tires. Rock it and roll!

Edited by StrandedonEarth

A massive Nor’easter is forming off of the East Coast, and my area is going to get HAMMERED by this storm. For nearly 24 straight hours, there will be heavy rainfall, high winds, winters mixes, and more. Rainfall totals could reach 2-3 inches, and sustained winds with be up to 35 mph with gusts of 60 mph or more. Power outages and river flooding are extremely likely. 

On 3/1/2018 at 8:53 AM, ProtoJeb21 said:

A massive Nor’easter is forming off of the East Coast, and my area is going to get HAMMERED by this storm. For nearly 24 straight hours, there will be heavy rainfall, high winds, winters mixes, and more. Rainfall totals could reach 2-3 inches, and sustained winds with be up to 35 mph with gusts of 60 mph or more. Power outages and river flooding are extremely likely. 

We got dumped on by snow here. Winter just doesn't want to quit, it seems.

Here in Idaho, we got 13-15 inches of snow all at once last year, in January. We had 5 snow days in a row, a record for the district. This year, however, is vastly different. We've probably had barely 6-8 inches total this winter, and it's melting at a pretty good rate. No snow days this year, it'd seem...

Edited by UnionPacific1983WP
"5 school days in a row, a record" Yeah, that didn't seem right... lol

It started off as a drizzling rain, then turned to snow... big flakes... all day. We've maybe an inch, it's melting and not going to last despite the freeze tonight. Doesn't bother me one bit. As far as nor'easters go, this one is cake so far.

I’m going to get hit with ANOTHER nor’easter on Wednesday. It’s the same storm that dropped 7 feet of snow in the Sierra Nevada mountain ranges over the weekend. By the time it hits, it won’t be powerful enough to drop that much snow, but it will be a very significant system. My area is forecasted to get up to a FOOT of snow over nearly 24 full hours of snowfall. 

6 hours ago, ProtoJeb21 said:

I’m going to get hit with ANOTHER nor’easter on Wednesday. It’s the same storm that dropped 7 feet of snow in the Sierra Nevada mountain ranges over the weekend. By the time it hits, it won’t be powerful enough to drop that much snow, but it will be a very significant system. My area is forecasted to get up to a FOOT of snow over nearly 24 full hours of snowfall. 

hmmm you are where? New york or more north?

Mind sending it down to NJ?

In actuality some snow is predicted for then. Not much though

• 2 weeks later...

I just noticed they downgraded Hurricane Irma from a peak intensity of 185 mph as initially reported, to 180. I'm also fairly sure that several changes in the intensity of some of the tropical storms have been reanalyzed. There's still several storms that haven't been reviewed, notably Gert, Maria, and Nate.

29 minutes ago, SaturnianBlue said:

I just noticed they downgraded Hurricane Irma from a peak intensity of 185 mph as initially reported, to 180. I'm also fairly sure that several changes in the intensity of some of the tropical storms have been reanalyzed. There's still several storms that haven't been reviewed, notably Gert, Maria, and Nate.

Yeah, the peak intensities of Arlene, Bret, Cindy, TD4, Don, and Irma have all been updated. Irma still held peak intensity for 37 hours straight, and it’s been mentioned that it was “operationally assessed at 185 mph.” I have no idea what that means.

34 minutes ago, ProtoJeb21 said:

Yeah, the peak intensities of Arlene, Bret, Cindy, TD4, Don, and Irma have all been updated. Irma still held peak intensity for 37 hours straight, and it’s been mentioned that it was “operationally assessed at 185 mph.” I have no idea what that means.

Pretty sure "operationally" is noting that this was what it was reported as during the time of the storm, when the info was being used to advise people and such.

UPDATE: Marcus has reached Category 5 intensity, with winds of 140 knots (160 mph) and a minimum pressure of 918 mbar. The system is becoming far better organized with almost perfectly circular convection and a pinhole eye, evidence suggesting even more intensification. 

https://www.tropicaltidbits.com/storminfo/

Also, my area is supposed to be getting hammered with snow. The storm is likely sitting right on top of where I live. However, NOTHING is coming down. Very odd.

Edited by ProtoJeb21

Cyclone Marcus was able to maintain Category 5 intensity for about 12 hours. I noticed a potential eyewall replacement cycle (EWRC) starting last night as its eye filled with clouds. Now the storm’s eye is clear, but it has weakened to 145 mph (125 kt) and 932 mbar. I’m not too sure if Marcus will continue weakening or if it will undergo a temporary intensification phase before weakening again.

7 hours ago, ProtoJeb21 said:

Cyclone Marcus was able to maintain Category 5 intensity for about 12 hours. I noticed a potential eyewall replacement cycle (EWRC) starting last night as its eye filled with clouds. Now the storm’s eye is clear, but it has weakened to 145 mph (125 kt) and 932 mbar. I’m not too sure if Marcus will continue weakening or if it will undergo a temporary intensification phase before weakening again.

Whatever the case, it appears it will be a Tropical Low before it hits Perth.

1 hour ago, RA3236 said:

Whatever the case, it appears it will be a Tropical Low before it hits Perth.

And its eyewall collapsed again. Looks like it’s starting its slow dissipation process. Shouldn’t be much of a threat anymore.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.