Weather Chat Megathread

ProtoJeb21

As the forecasters at the NHC have said, the incessant East Pacific Hurricane Season continues...

Tropical Storm Vicente developed on the 19th, followed by Tropical Storm Willa one day later, exactly three years after Hurricane Patricia formed. That did not bode well, especially since its timing and track was going to be nearly identical to the 2015 storm. While Vicente stayed as a tiny tropical storm small enough to fit inside the state of Connecticut with plenty of room to spare, Willa has wasted no time getting its act together. It almost immediately began rapid intensification, and in the last 24 hours alone, it has gone from a 60 mph tropical storm to a 115 mph Category 3 major hurricane. And it’s not going to stop for another 18-24 hours. It’s looking increasingly likely that Willa will become a Category 5 hurricane and follow in the footsteps of similar hurricanes including the aforementioned Patricia, Hurricane Kenna from 2002, and Hurricane Rick from 2009. Willa has developed a tight ring of very cold (-80 C or colder) cloud tops and a small pinhole eye, indicating that even more potent intensification is starting. 

Satellite imagery of Willa, updated every minute, can be viewed here: https://www.tropicaltidbits.com/sat/satlooper.php?region=meso1&product=ir

Hurricane Willa (accidentally called Wilma by several people at the NHC today) became a Category 5 hurricane this morning...the third one this East Pacific season and the NINTH one this year alone. The rate of intensification for this storm was one of the highest I’ve ever seen. It went from a 40 mph tropical storm to a 160 mph behemoth in just 48 hours — that’s even faster than last year’s Hurricane Maria! Immediately afterwards, though, an eyewall replacement cycle started, and Willa has now weakened slightly to 150 mph as it tries to rebuild its eye and eyewall before increasing shear prevents any form of re-strengthening. Unfortunately for Wilma Willa and for anyone wanting some more amazing satellite imagery, that time is quickly closing (but for the imagery-loving people, at least Willa’s IR presentation is quite nice; it also briefly looked like a clown head this afternoon). Also unfortunately for Mexico, Willa will still be a Category 3 or 4 at landfall, which thankfully won’t make it as bad as Patricia, but its impacts will be nothing short of horrendous. Looks like I was right thinking that this would end up like Kenna or Patricia. 

For those who want some cool hurricane/typhoon imagery, another powerful storm is on the horizon. Severe Tropical Storm Yutu is nearly a Category 1 equivalent cyclone and is expected to become another Super Typhoon by later this week. In fact, based on its current appearance on satellite imagery and the surrounding environment, Yutu may be about to start a phase of rapid intensification, likely bringing it to Category 5 status. The Pacific has absolutely no subtlety this year...

• 3 weeks later...

So it's been cold around here recently. And, today, it resulted in some little snow flurries. It's still kinda spitting flakes, but it's not cold enough to stick. Still, I think this is the earliest I've ever seen the first snow- especially in West Texas. 

Looking at the first full-day freeze of the season tomorrow, and if the forecast proves accurate it may be the first two-full-day freeze of the season.

Winter is coming, and I'm excited.

WEDNESDAY UPDATE: Getting at least 6 inches of snow tonight. It's still mid-November, right?

Edited by IncongruousGoat

• 2 months later...

What happened to this thread? Well, I'm having bad weather again, so it's time to bring it back.

So, who else here is in the path of the big-S snowstorm currently chewing its way across the northeastern and midwestern U.S.? We're looking at 1 and a half feet of accumulation before it's done, and then a wind-chill temperature in the vicinity of -20 F on Monday. Shoveling the driveway is not going to be fun...

4 hours ago, IncongruousGoat said:

What happened to this thread? Well, I'm having bad weather again, so it's time to bring it back.

So, who else here is in the path of the big-S snowstorm currently chewing its way across the northeastern and midwestern U.S.? We're looking at 1 and a half feet of accumulation before it's done, and then a wind-chill temperature in the vicinity of -20 F on Monday. Shoveling the driveway is not going to be fun...

It’s lucky that it’s still even somewhat active after over two years. 

I’m also getting stuff from Winter Storm Harper, but not much. Likely 3-5”, maybe 5-8” if I’m lucky. However, temperatures will drop to no more than 10 F for Monday, and it may clear up quick enough Sunday night to see the total lunar eclipse. 

2 hours ago, ProtoJeb21 said:

However, temperatures will drop to no more than 10 F for Monday, and it may clear up quick enough Sunday night to see the total lunar eclipse. 

Only down to 10 F? We're getting wind chill of -28 F here. I'm going to have to take some extra precautions before doing something so foolhardy as to step out the front door on Monday.

6 minutes ago, IncongruousGoat said:

Only down to 10 F? We're getting wind chill of -28 F here. I'm going to have to take some extra precautions before doing something so foolhardy as to step out the front door on Monday.

10 F is the actual temperature; I don’t know the exact wind chill prediction for Monday, but I’ve been hearing around -20 F. Do you live in New England as well?

Just now, ProtoJeb21 said:

10 F is the actual temperature; I don’t know the exact wind chill prediction for Monday, but I’ve been hearing around -20 F. Do you live in New England as well?

Close. Upstate New York. I'm outside of the mountains and the lake-effect regions, but winters here are still fun.

14 hours ago, cubinator said:

My prediction has clear skies for the eclipse, and snow Mon-Tue. It's about 1 F right now.

You’re lucky. I’m not too sure if the sky will clear up quickly enough for me to see the Moon when it’s in the umbra. 

• 2 weeks later...

Spotted an odd ring cloud formation on the way home from work...

50995764_10157013583529042_6614091838741

Ignore the blue band at the top, that's just the car window tint band. I guess I should have cropped the pic, but I'm being lazy...

E: Just saw it reported on the local news, it’s called a fallstreak hole, when the cold water vapour finally finds a seed to form ice crystals, which then fall out of the hole 

Edited by StrandedonEarth

It's currently 9F here tonight, and falling.  Wind chill is just that... damn chilly.

I have to chuckle because the news made some statement earlier this evening about people needing to stay indoors, because these "dangerous" cold temperatures could freeze your lungs.  True, I suppose, to a degree, although skiing in such temperatures (low teens and single digits) all day long never froze me any (save hands and feet and nose).

I'm in the greater Seattle region, though to the southeast by about an hour's drive...

It got to -12.8*C last night.

A couple of notes on this....

-That is the COLDEST temperature I've ever personally seen outside of the OAT readings on airliners at cruise altitude! :confused:

-Basically all of Seattle is shut down right now. We got 8 cm of snow Sunday night and well into yesterday, and with these temperatures and the hilly terrain in the region... yeah. stuff like this:

02042019_Bus-snow_084825-768x512.jpg

has become a common scene throughout Seattle.

-Okay, I've NEVER seen I-5 this empty before, even at the northern edge of King County...02042019_snow_094618-1560x744.jpg

Pics are courtesy of this gallery of The Seattle Times.

59-61 F has never felt so nice. After the below-freezing temperatures over the past few weeks (with a few days getting at little over 32 F/0 C), anything around 40 F is more than welcome, and 60-63 F highs for two days in a row is an absolute blessing. Too bad it’s going to return to normal February temperatures starting tomorrow. 

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.