Weather Chat Megathread

ProtoJeb21

2 hours ago, XB-70A said:

Now, the NHC and the NOAA models are closer to the GFS predictions than the ECMWF ones, so... 

Yeah, but where are YOU? I'll root for it to miss you (not that it will help). :D

10 minutes ago, ZooNamedGames said:

This is not how I wanted to spend my first holiday off from school. Preparing for a hurricane. Just my luck. 

It could be worse. I once lived on the Louisiana Gulf Coast and from what the news media has said, this one isn't going to be very big. It will probably peak at a Category 2 or maybe even a 3 later this evening, depending on its course. Living in a hurricane zone, I always had most of the prep work done and maintained throughout the year:

• Gas generator for power when the power goes out.
  • At least 30 gallons of gas for the generator (and car, if needed).
  • Food supplies/emergency rations for ten days
  • About 40 gallons of fresh water
  • 4 big propane tanks for the grill, lanterns, etc.
  • Flashlights and lots of batteries
  • $300 in cash.

Sure, as the storm approached, there was the four hour job of securing the backyard items which could fly around at 50+ mph, taping and boarding of the windows, and all that kind of stuff. But then again, storms never have bothered me. I much rather prepare for a hurricane - which you know is coming - than to be caught off-guard by an earthquake.

+++

Relating to the regional weather where I live -

We've had more rain this year than normal, in the 18 inch range (0.457 meters). We've also only had three days where the actual temperature reached 95° to 100° F (35° C to 37.77° C) range. This makes our summer milder and wetter than normal. The older generation, those 70 and above, are claiming we are in for a wet, snowy, and cold winter. I sure hope so. I love winter weather.

1 minute ago, adsii1970 said:

It could be worse. I once lived on the Louisiana Gulf Coast and from what the news media has said, this one isn't going to be very big. It will probably peak at a Category 2 or maybe even a 3 later this evening, depending on its course. Living in a hurricane zone, I always had most of the prep work done and maintained throughout the year:

• Gas generator for power when the power goes out.
  • At least 30 gallons of gas for the generator (and car, if needed).
  • Food supplies/emergency rations for ten days
  • About 40 gallons of fresh water
  • 4 big propane tanks for the grill, lanterns, etc.
  • Flashlights and lots of batteries
  • $300 in cash.

Sure, as the storm approached, there was the four hour job of securing the backyard items which could fly around at 50+ mph, taping and boarding of the windows, and all that kind of stuff. But then again, storms never have bothered me. I much rather prepare for a hurricane - which you know is coming - than to be caught off-guard by an earthquake.

+++

Relating to the regional weather where I live -

We've had more rain this year than normal, in the 18 inch range (0.457 meters). We've also only had three days where the actual temperature reached 95° to 100° F (35° C to 37.77° C) range. This makes our summer milder and wetter than normal. The older generation, those 70 and above, are claiming we are in for a wet, snowy, and cold winter. I sure hope so. I love winter weather.

Well unlike most- I have a bunch of animals that I need to relocate into our house for safety. So it's more than just securing yard stuff sadly. 

56 minutes ago, tater said:

Yeah, but where are YOU? I'll root for it to miss you (not that it will help). :D

Now? In Palm Bay, right at the "best" location possible: if Dorian pass over CC, we got the rain and some bursts, if south of Okeechobee, we got less rain but most of the wind :confused: 

Also, apart from some "hurricane-rookies", everybody is rather quiet around here.

XZTYbbZ.jpg

On 8/29/2019 at 1:13 PM, ZooNamedGames said:

This is not how I wanted to spend my first holiday off from school. Preparing for a hurricane. Just my luck. 

I hear ya... my B-day is Tuesday... same day it's suppose to hit us... go figure...

Stay safe, my friend!!! 

We on the Texas coast would like to thank our Floridians for taking this hurricane.  Please feel free to keep it.  There's no need to let it pass through into the Gulf.

And good luck, guys.  Let us know when you get the power back on.

Best wishes for all you Kerbals hunkering down in Florida.

Meanwhile, on the Wet Coast, after a week of blazing hot weather after a mostly lacklustre summer, we head into a long weekend punctuated by showers. Right when we’re going camping.... If you can call sleeping in a travel trailer camping....

No update about the intensity for the last 2 hours and still Cat 3, but right now the eye is perfectly shaped.

50 minutes ago:

BmldgIo.jpg

20 minutes ago:

qd8G6DQ.jpg

(Both shot by GOES-16)

Compilation of different data and false colors:

8uTLO5C.jpg

Sustained wind of around 120 km/h (approx 65 kt) and bursts of more than 200 (108 kt) according to the last ECMWF report.

BxsbdJ2.jpg

The NRL is also sharing a potential trajectory which agrees with one of the European models:

ddHO79U.gif

Finally, a slightly unusual shot:

iYDYLng.jpg

Taken almost 6 hours ago JPSS-2 on its polar orbit.

Also, I know I shared those link by the past, but if you are interested in completing your meteorological data collection, I recommend taking a look at the pages of the Colorado State University  in cooperation with the NOAA and the Japan Meteorological Agency at this address: 

https://rammb-slider.cira.colostate.edu

You can access a lot of data from GOES-16 (Atlantic shores of the Americas), GOES-17 (Pacific shores of the Americas), Himawari 8 (West Pacific ocean), and JPSS-2 (Arctic), and easily.

Slightly more complicated to navigate, but pretty interesting too, is the Naval Research Laboratory section dedicated to weather:

https://www.nrlmry.navy.mil/TC.html

Their pages are full of data, often incomplete (because taken at short intervals) but still interesting.

---------

Edit

---------

Well... here we go:

4dBDv2dg.jpg

Edited by XB-70A

Just now, YNM said:

Careful everyone, another one is in the pipeline...

Yep, the Euro service is showing it as a potential active cell since the last two days; it could head on a Northern trajectory. Another cell is preceding it, however. 

JrQ3jfl.gif

1 hour ago, XB-70A said:

Another cell is preceding it, however. 

One lows often pull the others... I think Dorian might be pulled off the coast, but we'll see what else they could bring. The high pressure on the continent helps slightly.

I know for Typhoon Krosa the remnant of Typhoon Lekima pulled it in for a certain path.

Edited by YNM

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.