Weather Chat Megathread

ProtoJeb21

And even more bad stuff. Barrow town pump station has failed.

Sumas lake has returned.

I can kinda see now why farmers in the 1920s wanted to empty it :/

I should be fine. I’m not on the sumas flats but the vedder river is pretty high.

CYCW (Chilliwack airport) is super busy doing flights between Chilliwack and Abbotsford.

Edited by Stormpilot

Latest news has the water level stabilized at the pumps, thanks to the tireless work of volunteers sandbagging the pumps. So the situation is holding. But evacuations on the Sumas Prairie continue…

There are also a few towns in the Interior completely evacuated   But the roads are a mess

E: Oh, and there’s a large fire burning at an RV lot in the middle of the flood. All they can do is let it burn while hosing down what propane/NG infrastructure they can reach

FEZ3WzaVEAEG1h_?format=jpg&name=900x900

Now if only I could find the images from the news chopper, short of taking a picture of the TV lol

Edited by StrandedonEarth

12 minutes ago, StrandedonEarth said:

:(

Via rail just evacuated people out of hope to Vancouver so it seems the Yale subdivision is back up and running. Cp cascade subdivision seems still empty though.

However… CC-130J no 607 is on her way! However she might be heading to Abbotsford and not Chilliwack. It hope it the former over the latter!

91075-A0-A-4-FA3-4085-9951-69-A4-F0-BCA1

No, it's 1920 again. Two levee breaches and Sumas Lake IS filling up again. 2km+ of levee needs to be built before the next rain system brings in another 80-100mm of rain starting Monday.

https://globalnews.ca/video/rd/9d5694ea-48d8-11ec-81cc-0242ac110015/?jwsource=cl

Homes are in the way and will have to be sacrificed...

• 2 weeks later...

And here we go again! After the flooding two weeks ago, we're in the middle of another trio of atmospheric river events. The first storm wasn't bad, but storm two has the mayor of Abbotsford looking nervously across the border at the Nooksack river. If it floods, the fields are already saturated so the water will be here within a few hours. And if the Sumas dike breaches (again, it just got fixed last week!), the old Sumas Lake will refill again, and it hasn't even finished draining pumping out the last flood.

And if we weather this one, the third storm on Tuesday promises to be the worst of the bunch!

It'll be interesting to see if the government finally takes note that maybe we need to get serious about fighting climate change, which means ramping down oil/gas ASAP. But that won't happen. Oops, I'm getting political, I need to shut up now.

The highway was closed so they could build a "tiger dam" (water-filled tube) across the highway to keep the Sumas River from overflowing into the resurrected Sumas Lake and flooding the prairie further.

(highway cam) 

656.jpg

Things are looking okay for now, just have to see how bad the next storm over the next few days gets. They don't expect as much rain along the border, which is good news for the prairie, but more along the mountains, which is not so good for the last highway through the Fraser Valley.

I probably won't be going to work at all this week. I don't consider myself essential enough to brave that highway again. Narrowly avoiding getting hit head-on will tend to do that.

apparently did not proofread after initial editing

This seems to be the only place  can find the video clip of the dike shortly after the breach. It's at the beginning of the video accompanying this article, sorry about the forced ad...

https://globalnews.ca/video/8419024/b-c-government-warned-about-low-staffing-levels-at-river-forecast-centre-report

What? Government declining to spend more money on something that won't earn votes? No surprise there...

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.