ProtoJeb21

Weather Chat Megathread

Recommended Posts

https://www.google.es/amp/s/delcamp.cat/amp/meteodelcampcat/cau-forta-tempesta-calamarsa-camp-tarragona

It may be in another language but you only need 2 look at the picture.

We have been getting lotsa of rain and frosted dew last week (weird in Spain) , and it snowed at 28m over sea level inland and hail in the seashore blocking some roads, with temperatures reaching minus 0 C° near the sea at night and even colder in the countryside, with -15 C° in the mountains at noon.

We might have had a warm January but winter nor climate change has not forgotten about us. And we Spaniards are used to dry and hot weather... You can imagine how it went. :P

At least we don’t get hit by cyclones (Murphy please do not) And poor guys if those islands :( 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I don't even know anymore with the weather here. Yesterday, it was 70 F and sunny. Today, it's 30 F and snowing like crazy, and tomorrow it's going to rain and the world will be a pile of slush. It's like the weather is contriving to be as unpleasant as possible.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Can I just say how TERRIBLE the committee for Pacific Typhoon names is at name retirement? This year they retired the named Kai-Tak and Tembin, both of which were the final named storms of 2017. I understand Tembin (it was the deadliest typhoon of the year), but why Kai-Tak? And why not the two costliest typhoons of the season, Lan and Hato? The latter was one of the most destructive typhoons on record, inflicting nearly $7 billion USD after striking China in August. Typhoon Lan was also quite costly, inflicting $2 billion USD after striking Japan with a wind field almost 1,400 miles across. Somehow, though, neither of those names were retired. And this isn’t just a 2017 problem as well; it’s been going on for YEARS now. In 2016, the billion-dollar category 5 Super Typhoon Nepartek and the extremely deadly Typhoon Lionrock weren’t retired either. There are a lot more examples out there, and it makes the organization in charge of retiring and picking typhoon names seem like it can’t do its job right. 

(I have been waiting for over a year to finally complain about this)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Snow again, and last week it seemed that things were warming up. We don't normally get snowy winters two years in a row here.... That's global "warming" for you. Yeah, I know, it causes global climate change....

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Ok, seriously? A new driver (the green "novice" decal on the back) driving a Lamborghini in Vancouver snow? Like, really?

lambo.jpg?quality=70&strip=all

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I had to drive home in over a decimeter of snow just now, and I nearly got stuck several times. I got no more than halfway up the driveway, and that'll have to do for today.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, cubinator said:

I had to drive home in over a decimeter of snow just now, and I nearly got stuck several times. I got no more than halfway up the driveway, and that'll have to do for today.

Snow Winter tires. Gotta have your winter tires. My Yaris can claw its way up a small hill and out of our townhouse complex in a foot of snow with some good winter tires. Rock it and roll!

Edited by StrandedonEarth

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

A massive Nor’easter is forming off of the East Coast, and my area is going to get HAMMERED by this storm. For nearly 24 straight hours, there will be heavy rainfall, high winds, winters mixes, and more. Rainfall totals could reach 2-3 inches, and sustained winds with be up to 35 mph with gusts of 60 mph or more. Power outages and river flooding are extremely likely. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 3/1/2018 at 8:53 AM, ProtoJeb21 said:

A massive Nor’easter is forming off of the East Coast, and my area is going to get HAMMERED by this storm. For nearly 24 straight hours, there will be heavy rainfall, high winds, winters mixes, and more. Rainfall totals could reach 2-3 inches, and sustained winds with be up to 35 mph with gusts of 60 mph or more. Power outages and river flooding are extremely likely. 

We got dumped on by snow here. Winter just doesn't want to quit, it seems.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

Here in Idaho, we got 13-15 inches of snow all at once last year, in January. We had 5 snow days in a row, a record for the district. This year, however, is vastly different. We've probably had barely 6-8 inches total this winter, and it's melting at a pretty good rate. No snow days this year, it'd seem...

Edited by UnionPacific1983WP
"5 school days in a row, a record" Yeah, that didn't seem right... lol

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It started off as a drizzling rain, then turned to snow... big flakes... all day. We've maybe an inch, it's melting and not going to last despite the freeze tonight. Doesn't bother me one bit. As far as nor'easters go, this one is cake so far.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Dooes living near the equator makes this thread not very often commented by me ?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Just saw some kind of backwards rainbow in a cloud - it was curved away from the sun, with a center about 90° away from it. No idea how that works.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I’m going to get hit with ANOTHER nor’easter on Wednesday. It’s the same storm that dropped 7 feet of snow in the Sierra Nevada mountain ranges over the weekend. By the time it hits, it won’t be powerful enough to drop that much snow, but it will be a very significant system. My area is forecasted to get up to a FOOT of snow over nearly 24 full hours of snowfall. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Clouds rolled in just in time to obscure Tiangong-1, getting ready for a big snow tomorrow.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, ProtoJeb21 said:

I’m going to get hit with ANOTHER nor’easter on Wednesday. It’s the same storm that dropped 7 feet of snow in the Sierra Nevada mountain ranges over the weekend. By the time it hits, it won’t be powerful enough to drop that much snow, but it will be a very significant system. My area is forecasted to get up to a FOOT of snow over nearly 24 full hours of snowfall. 

hmmm you are where? New york or more north?

Mind sending it down to NJ?

In actuality some snow is predicted for then. Not much though

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I just noticed they downgraded Hurricane Irma from a peak intensity of 185 mph as initially reported, to 180. I'm also fairly sure that several changes in the intensity of some of the tropical storms have been reanalyzed. There's still several storms that haven't been reviewed, notably Gert, Maria, and Nate.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
29 minutes ago, SaturnianBlue said:

I just noticed they downgraded Hurricane Irma from a peak intensity of 185 mph as initially reported, to 180. I'm also fairly sure that several changes in the intensity of some of the tropical storms have been reanalyzed. There's still several storms that haven't been reviewed, notably Gert, Maria, and Nate.

Yeah, the peak intensities of Arlene, Bret, Cindy, TD4, Don, and Irma have all been updated. Irma still held peak intensity for 37 hours straight, and it’s been mentioned that it was “operationally assessed at 185 mph.” I have no idea what that means.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
34 minutes ago, ProtoJeb21 said:

Yeah, the peak intensities of Arlene, Bret, Cindy, TD4, Don, and Irma have all been updated. Irma still held peak intensity for 37 hours straight, and it’s been mentioned that it was “operationally assessed at 185 mph.” I have no idea what that means.

Pretty sure "operationally" is noting that this was what it was reported as during the time of the storm, when the info was being used to advise people and such.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

UPDATE: Marcus has reached Category 5 intensity, with winds of 140 knots (160 mph) and a minimum pressure of 918 mbar. The system is becoming far better organized with almost perfectly circular convection and a pinhole eye, evidence suggesting even more intensification. 

https://www.tropicaltidbits.com/storminfo/

Also, my area is supposed to be getting hammered with snow. The storm is likely sitting right on top of where I live. However, NOTHING is coming down. Very odd.

Edited by ProtoJeb21

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Weather is sunny but cold in the Netherlands! Its like 5C, but there are no clouds, except for chemtrails plane condensation things.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Cyclone Marcus was able to maintain Category 5 intensity for about 12 hours. I noticed a potential eyewall replacement cycle (EWRC) starting last night as its eye filled with clouds. Now the storm’s eye is clear, but it has weakened to 145 mph (125 kt) and 932 mbar. I’m not too sure if Marcus will continue weakening or if it will undergo a temporary intensification phase before weakening again.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, ProtoJeb21 said:

Cyclone Marcus was able to maintain Category 5 intensity for about 12 hours. I noticed a potential eyewall replacement cycle (EWRC) starting last night as its eye filled with clouds. Now the storm’s eye is clear, but it has weakened to 145 mph (125 kt) and 932 mbar. I’m not too sure if Marcus will continue weakening or if it will undergo a temporary intensification phase before weakening again.

Whatever the case, it appears it will be a Tropical Low before it hits Perth.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, RA3236 said:

Whatever the case, it appears it will be a Tropical Low before it hits Perth.

And its eyewall collapsed again. Looks like it’s starting its slow dissipation process. Shouldn’t be much of a threat anymore.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now