Jump to content

Weather Chat Megathread


ProtoJeb21
 Share

Recommended Posts

@Green Baron
My friend's brother lives (from time to time) in the Canary Islands... which, I'm not sure. He's a surf fanatic. Cowabunga baby. A bit of a nut. Madman, was part of the cast (an extra) of Game Of Thrones, got himself thrown off the set for madcap behavior. Eccentrics with money, very unpredictable. He might be in Croatia at the moment, not sure. Keeps telling me I have to come out and catch some waves with him.

Nice picture.

Edited by LordFerret
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 2 weeks later...
On 12/26/2017 at 1:49 PM, cubinator said:

It was -20° C yesterday and I had a cold so I couldn't breathe the air outside. 

It hasn’t even gotten that cold in New England yet! The absolute coldest it got from this Artic Air Plunge was this morning, with a temp of 7*F and a wind chill of -9*F. In other units, that’s -13.9 C (247.65 K) for the actual temp and -22.8 C (242.72 K) for the wind chill. Okay, I guess in some ways it’s colder in New England. It’s going to get even worse - on New Year’s Eve it could get down to -2 F, with wind chills likely down in the negative teens Fahrenheit. 

Have you been getting a lot of snow as well? With these cold temps, there have been like three of four “major” snow events in my state (like 1-3 inches of snow, including on Christmas Eve).

Edited by ProtoJeb21
Link to comment
Share on other sites

18 minutes ago, ProtoJeb21 said:

It hasn’t even gotten that cold in New England yet! The absolute coldest it got from this Artic Air Plunge was this morning, with a temp of 7*F and a wind chill of -9*F. In other units, that’s -13.9 C (247.65 K) for the actual temp and -22.8 C (242.72 K) for the wind chill. Okay, I guess in some ways it’s colder in New England. It’s going to get even worse - on New Year’s Eve it could get down to -2 F, with wind chills likely down in the negative teens Fahrenheit. 

Have you been getting a lot of snow as well? With these cold temps, there have been like three of four “major” snow events in my state (like 1-3 inches of snow, including on Christmas Eve).

I've had temperatures around -20° C almost all week. For me the actual temp is projected to get down to -21° F (-29° C, 235° K) on New Year's morning. We haven't been going outside except when necessary. And yes, I've been getting snow. It snowed an inch or two this morning, in fact, and made the roads all slippery. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Apparently, its getting down to 13 Degree F here (21 at warmest). No idea what that is normal measurements, but my mother described it as "too cold". The rest of my family said it was "fine". Background history - mother and father come from completely different environments (tropics vs bit north of germany) and sister and I grew up where we currently live. And refuse to admit we get cold, xcept when convenient, as in to go inside after raking the leaves for a little while.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Still cold here... teens during the day, single digit at night. With last night's full moon, ALL the critters were out despite the temps... including a Red Fox who took the soup bone I tossed.

latest?cb=20160821143913

 

Speaking of critters, I recently learned that the Skunk used to be commonly referred to as a "Wood Pussy" back in the 1920's. My new name for them. Here kitty kitty kitty!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Well, winter has hit Florida... and it's cold... at least for us. Not quite freezing, but close enough I covered my big new Christmas cactus last night. The forecast has Friday night in the 30's, so I may have to bring some of the plants inside... we'll see. Brrr.... :P

37 minutes ago, LordFerret said:

Speaking of critters, I recently learned that the Skunk used to be commonly referred to as a "Wood Pussy" back in the 1920's. My new name for them. Here kitty kitty kitty!

We had a family of skunks that lived under our front porch when I was a kid... They're actually quite tame, and remarkably like cats, if you know how to approach them. And the skunk-kittens... I guess you'd call them... are adorable! I used to be able to hand feed a couple.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 12/31/2017 at 9:37 PM, ProtoJeb21 said:

What wonderful New Year’s Eve weather! The temperature is a wonderful 7 F, the wind chill is even better at -4 F, and (for some odd reason) allergy-provoking pollen is everywhere!

 

*looks out window at 3ft. of snow*

*clears icicles off nose*

*draws some more negative numbers on bottom of thermometer*

Yeah, seems about right.

 

4 hours ago, Just Jim said:

"Friday night in the 30's ... have to bring some of the plants inside..."

Oh no! 

One of my plants has been outside since September. 

Gonna go check on it

Edited by JK_Kerbineer
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, JK_Kerbineer said:

*looks out window at 3ft. of snow*

*clears icicles off nose*

*draws some more negative numbers on bottom of thermometer*

Yeah, seems about right.

 

Especially since New England may get hammered by a Nor’easter on Thursday, with the potential for up to half a foot or more of incredibly fluffy snow in my area. During that same day, wind chill temps will likely remain below zero due to high gusts of 30-40 mph. FUN. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

37 minutes ago, JK_Kerbineer said:

Oh no! 

One of my plants has been outside since September. 

Gonna go check on it

Where are you? Up north? Because northern plants do much better with snow than wimpy Florida plants... lol....

Link to comment
Share on other sites

12 hours ago, Just Jim said:

We had a family of skunks that lived under our front porch when I was a kid... They're actually quite tame, and remarkably like cats, if you know how to approach them. And the skunk-kittens... I guess you'd call them... are adorable! I used to be able to hand feed a couple.

Skunks can get used to humans if treated consistently right, like most wild animals. Skunks are related to Ferrets (Polecat), and Mink, Weasels, and Otters... they're all cousins, scent-sac bearers. I came real close to taking in a descented baby Skunk needing a home one time, but my busyness was at maximum capacity for its quarters already.

 

7 hours ago, ProtoJeb21 said:

... New England may get hammered by a Nor’easter on Thursday, ...

I've been getting NWS alerts on my phone starting early this evening about this.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

×
×
  • Create New...