Weather Chat Megathread

ProtoJeb21

On 1/30/2019 at 1:54 PM, TheSaint said:

One of my Facebook friends from Illinois....

Accurate

I could almost have skated to my morning lecture yesterday...We had a warm day and all the ice started to melt, then it got cold again and any water in the area immediately attached itself neatly to every surface. Good thing I know how to slide effectively, it was my main form of locomotion that morning. 

Another fine, clear day with arctic outflow winds. -5oC, windchill down in the minus teens, a major road closed due to trees down on the distribution power lines, even stop signs blown down. Lots of dust getting blown up. Took the dog to the dog park in this, there was even a stack of boards for concrete forms blown across the road. But the dog didn't mind; she's a bernese mountain lab, so she probably found it refreshing. I was bundled up and mostly warm, but my nose was freezing. I don't think I've experienced that kind of cold since I lived in Ft St John 30 years ago

I could lean back on the stronger gusts, and hand trouble opening the truck doors on the windward side. But when I chucked the ball downwind, it went from one end of the park to the other, The dog got a pretty good workout.

E: Either this sign (said to be around 20yo) was getting corroded, or it wasn't as sturdily built as it should have been. Another victim of today. You can see the dust haze in the background from the frozen fields. 

51910834_2245674768979423_34904438404085

Edited by StrandedonEarth

Snow!  We had our first real snow last night, all of maybe 2 or 3 inches worth.  This is actually the third snowfall of the year (I think), but the first to stick and hang around.

I'm on my way out to clean off my car, just for fun, before it all melts. :lol:

(With apologies to Simon & Garfunkel)

Ibuprofen, my old friend,
It's time to shovel snow again,
With the aches and pains that came creeping
Up my back while I was sleeping,
And the snowfall that has clogged up all the lanes
Still remains...
I need some ibuprofen

'Twas only yesterday I scooped
Great mounds of snow 'til I was pooped,
But it snowed again (and slushy, too!)
Gloves and boots are all still soaked right through
And my back is stabbed by a shooting, fiery line
Up my spine...
I'll grab the ibuprofen

And in the drab gray light I saw
At least a foot of snow or more
Snow that's piled and crushing shrubs and trees
Snow that comes up to my freaking knees
Snow that doesn't listen, if I swear and shake with rage;
Middle age
Demands some ibuprofen

"Wife," said I, "you do not know,
If I do not shovel snow
It'll pack down to a sheet of ice,
We'll be stuck here and we'll pay the price,"
But my words like silent snowflakes fell
She knew it well
And gave me ibuprofen

And the heavy snow just sat
Across the driveway where I'm at
And my spine flashed out its warning
That I'd better cool it this morning
And my spine said "The fruits of your labors
Won't help you if you're stuck in bed;
Don't drop dead!"
Just take some ibuprofen.

Answering with a more profane Alice Cooper:

"Aspirin damage, aspirin damage, kills the pain but destroys the brahahain.

Aspirin damage, aspirin damage, sometimes i find myself shakin' from the medication taken oh yeah ..."

:-)

It is 26°C in the late afternoon and extremely dry, continental African air here (La Palma). But temps are forecast to drop by 8° or so the day after tomorrow, which would bring them back to average for the season. Life is good :-)

Edited by Green Baron

Like @Snark, I'm in the lands of getting snowed on, and will be spending tomorrow morning shoveling snow off of my car. Whoopee.

On 2/11/2019 at 10:54 AM, LordFerret said:

Snow!  We had our first real snow last night, all of maybe 2 or 3 inches worth.  This is actually the third snowfall of the year (I think), but the first to stick and hang around.

I'm on my way out to clean off my car, just for fun, before it all melts. :lol:

Fun. That's... not the word I would use to describe cleaning ~6 inches of snow off my car. For the third time this year.

2 hours ago, IncongruousGoat said:

Like @Snark, I'm in the lands of getting snowed on, and will be spending tomorrow morning shoveling snow off of my car. Whoopee.

Fun. That's... not the word I would use to describe cleaning ~6 inches of snow off my car. For the third time this year.

The blizzard of '78 ... trying to find my car buried under a drift in excess of 8 feet deep.  I'm sure you can relate lol.

Well,. storm is finally over today. We ended up getting almost two feet of snow. Paralyzed the entire city. My work was closed for two days. We just sat around the house and played board games and watched movies and went sledding. A good time was had by all. Here's my big dumb dog running around the back yard like an insanine on Thursday. She loves snow.

eLymvh9.jpg

(Looks at the dog's path in the snow.
A rectangular peak, followed by a circular loop.)

Are you sure that she can't speak or communicate with you graphically?

Spoiler

how-were-nazca-lines-made.jpg

Spoiler

P.S.
Just noticed the figure in the top-right corner of the Nazca image.
It marks the territory? What an interesting idea of an ancient SETI message.

Edited by kerbiloid

Yesterday, Typhoon Wutip broke a Northern Hemisphere record for the strongest cyclone ever recorded in the month of February, with 155 mph winds an a central pressure of 922 mbar. It then started an eyewall replacement cycle, with winds dropping down to 120 mph, but over the last ~6 hours, it has rapidly recovered. It’s officially classified as a 130 mph Cat 4 at the moment, but...just LOOK at it:

rbtop0.gif

That’s easily a 140-150 mph Cat 4 right there, and since favorable conditions are going to continue for a bit longer, Wutip may break its own record and reach Cat 5 intensity by the 6:00 UTC Tropical Tidbits update. 

8 hours ago, ProtoJeb21 said:

Wutip may break its own record and reach Cat 5 intensity by the 6:00 UTC Tropical Tidbits update. 

And it did. Wutip is officially the first Category 5 typhoon ever recorded during February in the Northern Hemisphere. 

On 2/24/2019 at 7:46 AM, kerbiloid said:

(Looks at the dog's path in the snow.
A rectangular peak, followed by a circular loop.)

Are you sure that she can't speak or communicate with you graphically?

Reveal hidden contents

how-were-nazca-lines-made.jpg

Reveal hidden contents

P.S.
Just noticed the figure in the top-right corner of the Nazca image.
It marks the territory? What an interesting idea of an ancient SETI message.

If she is attempting to communicate, she's attempting to communicate one thing:

th?id=OIP.DtAdLWFnvJtnlHHJ0mnv5AHaHa&w=2

6 minutes ago, LordFerret said:

Where do I go?!?  Where do I go?!?  Where do I go?!?

bc45d4d1e1bc5ab683a9bccd9f87c32a.jpg

She did give us a few looks that very effectively said, "Uh, guys, I don't want to alarm anyone, but, my toilet is frozen."

But, no joke, that dog loves the snow. She goes out and just lays down in the snow. Just sitting there wagging her tail. Maybe she's part husky or something.

Edited by TheSaint

• 1 month later...
  • 4 months later...
13 hours ago, XB-70A said:

Uh Oooh... the D is coming, and he's not happy at all.

Assuming it hits FL (seems like a good assumption) where are you hoping it hits? The 2 models seems to diverge, one north, and one south.

Good morning Dorian :/

ehydxE3.gif

Just now, tater said:

Assuming it hits FL (seems like a good assumption) where are you hoping it hits? The 2 models seems to diverge, one north, and one south.

Pretty hard to say until the final 24 hours. Still, surprises even happen 12 hours before an expected landfall.

That's partly why I appreciate the cumulative data from Windyty. Right now, GFS data are expecting an arrival directly over Cape Canaveral:

exWDWIM.jpg

However, it's not a secret that GFS isn't really a trustworthy service. The precision is medium. About the US, the National service (NAM) is way more reliable. At the time I'm typing those words, the update is 90 minutes old.

The European Centre for Medium-Range Weather Forecasts is more precise (as it is a professional service), but their updates are less frequent on a daily basis. This is the path they are expecting (four hours old update):

w5t4QEr.jpg

According to the ECMWF, the trajectory continues to decrease slightly to the South since the last two days.

Now, the NHC and the NOAA models are closer to the GFS predictions than the ECMWF ones, so... 

NSPiQwj.jpg

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.