Weather Chat Megathread

ProtoJeb21

• 5 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...
4 hours ago, tater said:

This was great to see:

India and Bangladesh were thankfully spared from the Cat 4+ landfall some models were showing (mid-level shear disrupted the storm during an eyewall replacement cycle and prevented it from ever recovering), but the biggest issue was not the maximum wind speeds, but rather the storm surge. Amphan had a very large wind field prior to landfall, which had expanded due to the EWRC, and this area is always extremely vulnerable to surge because of the V-shape of the BOB and how low-lying it is. You don’t need an ultra-powerful storm for destructive surge; just look at Ike (Cat 2 landfall) and Sandy (Cat 1, technically post-tropical at landfall).

I don’t know how things have folded out near Amphan’s landfall, but it’s not going to be good regardless. 

• 3 weeks later...

Today was really warm in MN, tomorrow there will be a cold front in the afternoon and rain. I think I won't even need a heater for my crickets when they arrive, at least I can take my time getting that.

• 2 months later...

Typical North Carolina heat and humidity, but what really caught me off guard was were I used to live in Iowa was hit by a fierce derecho. (a widespread long lasting windstorm with heavy straight line winds) I remember after the storm had past that in one particular location in Iowa the winds topped out at 100 MPH (160.93 km/h). In fact the winds were so strong that it blew some of the roof off my High School alma mater, creating holes in the roof that could be seen from the interior. Thankfully a majority of the building survived and will likely be repaired, but it just makes you think how vicious living in the Midwest can  be at times. 

Just the last 10 years we rode out Hurricane/Super Storm Sandy in New York and then Hurricane Harvey in Houston. Haven't been hit by a tornado but have been close....  In Oklahoma City back in 1987, Austin Texas back in 2015... and saw a beautiful water spout in the Cayman Islands a few years ago.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.