Jump to content

Weather Chat Megathread


ProtoJeb21
 Share

Recommended Posts

10 hours ago, StrandedonEarth said:

Yeah. And now we're expecting up to 10cm of snow by Monday morning. I know, I don't consider that a lot, but most drivers here don't see enough snow to know how to drive in it. And then stretches of the highway are still surrounded by water... it's going to be fun ! 

I would love some snow. I doubt we see any this winter. :(

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 2 weeks later...
On 12/5/2021 at 6:35 PM, adsii1970 said:

I would love some snow. I doubt we see any this winter. :(

That wasn't the snow you were looking for. It was wet, heavy, sticky snow, followed by rain and cooling temps, resulting in everything covered in a layer of frozen Slurpee. Then we had the freezing rain @Stormpilot mentioned; forunately not a lot of it but enough to glaze the roads.

But now... It was supposed to snow Christmas Eve, but the forecast kept pushing it back and it didn't arrive until Christmas morning. And wow did it arrive! The temp was about -4C when it started and it only got colder, resulting in the perfect dry, fine powder snow; prairie snow, with gusting winds blowing it sideways. We got almost a foot of it with drifts twice as deep before it stopped last night, and the temp is down to -11 now.

This is the snow you're looking for. A rare White Christmas for the BC Lower Mainland / Fraser Valley region!

Merry Christmas!

Perfect weather for a Mountain Lab, btw...

4LFQepG.jpeg

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Workers (tram and restaurant at top) got stuck midway last night due to ice.

271239805-10165761093125510-896919136163

Helo has been rescuing them for a few hours now, land ~500m from my house, get people, come back, repeat. 21 people. They have a gangplank to the tower I think, then to the right on the ridge you can see a windsock, the helo touches down there and gets them

 

The tram cables are in the background, that ridge runs perpendicular to the tram cables.

 

https://i.imgur.com/RdXvUzZ.mp4

 

Edited by tater
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 12/30/2021 at 7:11 PM, tater said:

High winds in Superior, CO took out power, and have proceeded to burn a large part of the town, 100s of houses destroyed. Awful.

 

580 homes burned so far.

Now pushing 1000 homes lost after assessment. They are also checking out a shed fire, since there were in fact no downed power lines—which makes this likely a fault of a human.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 5 weeks later...

Well once again the weather is getting ugly in Texas. My tree in my front yard is iced up and so is my roof (i hope). All im hearing right now is my tree rubbing my roof. Its haunting in a way, but scary as well. If it is ice on ice (which is how it honestly sounds) then its ok-ish. If not… well that would be an issue. The next few days will be interesting. Hoping this time isnt like a year ago… already 2 power failures about 20 min apart lasting about 30 seconds combined… cant say i am optimistic about this. Wish me and texas well!

073702032022

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, AlamoVampire said:

Well once again the weather is getting ugly in Texas. My tree in my front yard is iced up and so is my roof (i hope). All im hearing right now is my tree rubbing my roof. Its haunting in a way, but scary as well. If it is ice on ice (which is how it honestly sounds) then its ok-ish. If not… well that would be an issue. The next few days will be interesting. Hoping this time isnt like a year ago… already 2 power failures about 20 min apart lasting about 30 seconds combined… cant say i am optimistic about this. Wish me and texas well!

Ouch. Hope it gets better. Hopefully your experiences from last time will help.

Snowed where I live yesterday.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Admiral Fluffy said:

Ouch. Hope it gets better. Hopefully your experiences from last time will help.

Snowed where I live yesterday.

I hope it isnt as bad. A tree in the yard of a neighbor behind me caused an arc to the power lines blowing a transformer in my neighbors yard. Hopefully its just a fuse on the transformer… only upside to this is that this time my mother is in an assisted living facility where she is with ppl able to deal with the issues this weather can/will cause like no power for example. My power is out rn so its just me, my cat and dog. So theres that right?

 

110002032022

wish i could still like snow but last year hurt me :( 

Edited by AlamoVampire
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Today has been horrific. Transformer fuse blew at 1000am, power was restored around 530 this afternoon. 3-5 minutes later the neutral line blew up. Literally blew apart. A neighbors tree bridged the upper positive wire with the middle neutral and 19,500 volts blew it apart. So here I am a human popsicle. Good news is they spliced the neutral, rehung it on the pole, put a new fuse on the transformer. In my yard they are done. They are now (afaik) working a few blocks west of me to finalize restoration. So in theory sometime in roughly the next hour power will be back. 
 

fwiw hearing 19,500 volts arc is frightening. Im a popsicle… i wish i could make a fire in my fireplace, but too much junk in the way… :( 

 

185702032022

Link to comment
Share on other sites

At 8:11pm i watched while shivering whole bodily in my car trying to warm up as my entire block lit up, well the street lamps at least.  10 HOURS of no power. 10 hours of turning to ice. And hours 8, 9 & 10 (10 as the ending book mark) were by far the worst. Temperature fell below 30 to 28F with 6 degree F wind chill as winds picked up. 
 

So there I am in my car warming it up so I could bring my cat and dog to it to warm up and not die. I watch as even more houses black out getting worried.  10 minutes after the new blackouts all the lights suddenly scream to life. Im sitting there shivering whole bodily in disbelief. I am back in my house warming up and just want to not be that cold again!

203902032022

Link to comment
Share on other sites

57 minutes ago, AlamoVampire said:

Im sitting there shivering whole bodily in disbelief. I am back in my house warming up and just want to not be that cold again!

Layers. Lots and lots of layers, especially cover your head; you lose most of your body heat through your head and neck. Hats, blankets, scarves, whatever you have. Just don't wear so many shirts and pants that it restricts circulation.

Good luck!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

34 minutes ago, StrandedonEarth said:

Layers. Lots and lots of layers, especially cover your head; you lose most of your body heat through your head and neck. Hats, blankets, scarves, whatever you have. Just don't wear so many shirts and pants that it restricts circulation.

Good luck!

Gonna need it! Sadly I have no hats or scarves. What I do have is a dachshund snoring away on my lap. I also (since i sleep in this chair) have my sheet, 2 cotton (i think cotton at least) blankets but they are not heavy. I also went into my mothers room (thankfully shes in an assisted living facility and i hope they have power) and found either her mother or her grandmothers afghan blanket (its like a crocheted wool ((thing weighs a ton and is like 5-6 sqft))) idk if its a blanket but for arguments sake its a blanket lol. Currently 25F feeling like 8F. Winds are NNW at 17 gusting to 27. Im a Texan. Give me heat and I will be fine. Make it cold, cut the power? I may as well be on Hoth with out a tauntaun to crawl into lol.

222702032022

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Power is back. Im not gonna hold my breath. I fully expect to be a popsicle by daybreak.

224202032022

 

its currently 12:18 as i start this edit and I am watching campaign 3 episode 12 of critical roll. I just wanted to say thank you to all who have read my saga today. It feels good to know that you fine and lovely group of folks have given me a place to vent my frustrations at my situation. I want to thank you all for your advice on how to best cope with this as well as your well wishes.

002302043022

Edited by AlamoVampire
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 2 months later...
  • 5 months later...

https://www.wunderground.com/dashboard/pws/KFLSAINT276

This station seems to be right on the eyewall about now (or will be soon).

peak gust 87. You can drag the map around and select other weather stations to check, BTW.

https://www.ndbc.noaa.gov/station_page.php?station=venf1 (ditto above, you can use the map to check stations)

They always hype hurricanes, 155 mph wind—but at what altitude? If they compare these storms to historical hurricanes, they must use surface winds that they might have recorded in 1940 (or whenever), or any comparisons are nonsense. This happened when a hurricane hit this area a few years ago. I was paying attention because my wife had a meeting there a few weeks after, and she was an officer of that medical society and was involved in planning. I found weather stations and while there were many with gusts well into the hurricane level, the constant winds while really high were nothing like 100+ mph. More like 50-60.

Still very destructive, but I think the desire to instill fear (to push evacuation), or generate viewership/clicks has incentivized overstating wind. The real damage is usually the storm surge, anyway.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 hours ago, tater said:

https://www.wunderground.com/dashboard/pws/KFLSAINT276

This station seems to be right on the eyewall about now (or will be soon).

peak gust 87. You can drag the map around and select other weather stations to check, BTW.

https://www.ndbc.noaa.gov/station_page.php?station=venf1 (ditto above, you can use the map to check stations)

They always hype hurricanes, 155 mph wind—but at what altitude? If they compare these storms to historical hurricanes, they must use surface winds that they might have recorded in 1940 (or whenever), or any comparisons are nonsense. This happened when a hurricane hit this area a few years ago. I was paying attention because my wife had a meeting there a few weeks after, and she was an officer of that medical society and was involved in planning. I found weather stations and while there were many with gusts well into the hurricane level, the constant winds while really high were nothing like 100+ mph. More like 50-60.

Still very destructive, but I think the desire to instill fear (to push evacuation), or generate viewership/clicks has incentivized overstating wind. The real damage is usually the storm surge, anyway.

Uh oh, station is offline now

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

×
×
  • Create New...