Music to work to

jarmund

I'm a technician by trade (maritime, to be precise. VHF radios, echosounders, sonars, autopilots, etc), but a programmer by hobby. It just so happens that the latter is often paid, so I happen to call this work. Now, I used to have a playlist dedicated to good background music when I needed to concentrate, but I've found that instrumental music works so much better.
For quite some time I've tried to build a decent playlist of music that allows me to "get in the zone". Now, I normally have a very wide taste in music (70's progrock, 00's death metal, 90's rock, classical and some stuff that is generally hard to categorize. I can listen to almost everything, but country music and accordion makes me cringe.), but when it comes to background music for work I tend to be picky, as I'm often thrown off my game - Fathering three kids has taken its toll on my ability to hear myself think.

So, I just thought I'd mention an artist named Adam Young. He's released a few albums that sounds like it'd be soundtrack to movies, but instead they're soundtracks to historical events. I mainly thought about sharing this with the KSP forum, as this is where I first learned about him as something else than Owl City.

And in case anyone is interested, here's the spotify playlist that I currently use for when I'm working on something in a solitary fasion. Please note that at the time of this writing, I still haven't sorted through all of Adam Youngs stuff yet to see which tracks are to be added to that list, so if you're interested in that, you need to check that out separately.

Also, what music do you listen to when you need to get "in the zone"? [insert relevant joke here]

Edited by jarmund

7 hours ago, Nuke said:

usually something easy listneing. like slayer.

I have that for my car-playlist, along with Meshuggah and Dimmu Borgir. Doesn't work too well when coding, tho. I sometimes put it on at the workshop on my dayjob to bring some counterbalance to the dance-hits our interns usually insist on playing.

4 hours ago, jarmund said:

I have that for my car-playlist, along with Meshuggah and Dimmu Borgir. Doesn't work too well when coding, tho. I sometimes put it on at the workshop on my dayjob to bring some counterbalance to the dance-hits our interns usually insist on playing.

checked out vektor yet?

i for one have no problem coding to extreme metal.

3 hours ago, Nuke said:

checked out vektor yet?

i for one have no problem coding to extreme metal.

I listen to Vektor now and then. Not for coding anymore, tho: Like I mentioned, raising 3 kids has taken its toll on my ability to concentrate :)

In my old job, as seismic survey technician, I used to code when onboard a ship, in rough weather, sitting next to the most annoying VHF radio, with the loudest navigational department in the world sharing my desk. All this with the highly eclectic music taste of the geophysical department ensuring that silence was not a possibility.

It's perhaps worth mentioning that the main difference between then and now is that I'm now mostly coding in java, while it was perl back then. Perhaps it's just java screwing with me in the long run, lol.

Edited by jarmund

M83, helps me with drawing and being creative. Vangelis just makes me feel comfy. I also listen to Journey on the Sunset, by Sam'Adhi but thats the only music i listen of Sam'Adhi.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.