Simple Plane Design - Help

10 hours ago, Arch3rAc3 said:

Thank you, but still, the steerable landing gear gets stuck into the ground and the side static landing gears get clipped into the ground and start jumping in place more than they should.

But thanks for the design as well, as soon as the console version gets fixed (if it gets fixed...) I'll be sure to try out this craft :D

I concur, this plane doesn't work either.

It does seem to be an issue with the gear, even with fixed gear it either just jumps up and down on the runway until the plane is destroyed, or you manage to get a take off roll going and the plane just starts bouncing all over the place on the gear and rips the wings off.

6 hours ago, Zophos said:

In the hopes that this will help the console crowd, I'll show the early-career tail-dragger biplane I put together for a Redditor yesterday. Nothing above the 45-science tier, no tweaks to anything except control surfaces, and it takes off from the grass with no control inputs other than starting the engines (at least in 1.1.3 on the PC).  It can also hit 20km altitude (once) to complete survey contracts. Some construction notes in the album:

And the takeoff roll (EDIT: on grass, to avoid using the hilariously bad starting runway). The only control inputs come from SAS (which keeps the nose up).

Mate, omg, this is perfect!!! I had to do some small changes (offset mostly) so I could launch it with a Rocket (since my landing gears are forbidden of touching the runway, otherwise both with explode) and it works perfectly. I can even fly with SAS off after quickly trimming it.
On the launch rocket, I've had to fiddle with it's amount of fuel to bring the CoM closer to the CoL and for it not to have a long burn time, otherwise it would make the plane flip, now it's cutting off in a perfect time so I can decouple it and fly with a positive rate of climb to continue the takeoff.
I've done a pattern around the runway, lighting up the main engine, it's awesome how it stays stable even with the engine on Full Throttle, it's like an afterburner (as it also makes my fuel drop quick fast). It will be amazing doing Survey missions with this. Hopefully they'll fix the landing gear problem soon on the consoles so I can land it after completing the mission. Thank you so much! :D

Just now, danowat said:

I concur, this plane doesn't work either.

It does seem to be an issue with the gear, even with fixed gear it either just jumps up and down on the runway until the plane is destroyed, or you manage to get a take off roll going and the plane just starts bouncing all over the place on the gear and rips the wings off.

Are you having this problem on the PC also?

Just now, danowat said:

No, Xbox one, I can almost do it, but there seems to be something up with the collision detection on the runway.

I'll have to have a fiddle with the settings and see if I can iron the issue out.

Yup. It's the same problem I'm having. There's a serious glitch on the console versions. I had to strap a rocket and a decouple behind it so the wheels wouldn't touch the runway, I'll try sending you a screenshot in a minute.

Here you go - sorry for the quality, had to take pictures from my phone since Xbox Live screenshots aren't going public for some reason. http://imgur.com/gallery/QSHvN

How do you post an image/album from Imgur here, I tried embed and everything, but it doesn't work...

Edited by Arch3rAc3

Here is the video of it taking off (sorry again for the quality, DVR is not working). 

You might wanna change the launch direction to the North, so the Rocket won't explode on the runway (maybe) damaging it.

It can also easily get out of stalls and spins, it's like magical. Thank you again for the design, Zophos, this is awesome!

Edited by Arch3rAc3
Forgot sending the video link '-'

3 hours ago, Arch3rAc3 said:

I had to do some small changes (offset mostly) so I could launch it with a Rocket (since my landing gears are forbidden of touching the runway, otherwise both with explode) and it works perfectly.... Hopefully they'll fix the landing gear problem soon on the consoles so I can land it after completing the mission.

Glad it worked...with some modifications. :cool:

When the bug is worked out so you can actually use the wheels, you'll probably want to use the offset tool in the SPH to push the rear wheel up a bit (producing the tail-dragging attitude on the runway). For a more extreme example, look at the nosewheel on my original pics --- it's pushed almost all the way into the fuselage because it's only there to prevent the nose from hitting the ground in case of extreme braking during landing.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.