Coded limit to nr of parts/actions in action groups?

Is there a hard-coded limit on the maximum nr of parts that can be included in an action group?

I was fooling around a bit with lights, using quite a bit more of them on a single 'craft' than I'm used to. I then wanted to make them switch on and off in different patterns, one pattern per action group, by assigning the 'turn light off' / 'turn light on' action of every light into the action groups. So in the editor, I am adding either 'on' or 'off' for 36 separate lights (no symmetry) in each action group. So far, so good, the group actions column becomes a bit long but it seems to work.

However: as soon as I launch and I try out the different patterns, some patterns will work ok, but in others there's always a number of lights that decide not to participate. I revert, check back... and inevitably find that those lights are showing as if I had not set any actions for them at all. Ok... maybe I made a mistake. So I redo those lights, add their on/off actions again, save, and launch. Now some OTHER lights that were working before decide to go on strike on certain patterns, and it's not necessarily the same patterns affected.

Rinse repeat a couple of times, but I've not yet managed to make all lights perform/remember their set actions. So, something keeps 'dropping' actions that were saved and properly showing in the editor before launching, and it's not always the same ones.

Hence my question: is there a maximum number of separate actions that will get triggered by an action group? Or a maximum to the overall total for all action groups together? Have I inadvertently stumbled onto a coded limit that I need to know about?

4 hours ago, swjr-swis said:

Hence my question: is there a maximum number of separate actions that will get triggered by an action group? Or a maximum to the overall total for all action groups together? Have I inadvertently stumbled onto a coded limit that I need to know about?

There's no limit, but what you're probably running into is that some of the actions are also sensitive to the state of the action group. For example: Say you assign a light to toggle on action group 1 and also toggle on action group 2. Then you toggle the light ON with action group 1, then toggle it again with action group 2, it will stay ON (instead of turning off with the second toggle on action group 2).

3 hours ago, Claw said:

There's no limit, but what you're probably running into is that some of the actions are also sensitive to the state of the action group. For example: Say you assign a light to toggle on action group 1 and also toggle on action group 2. Then you toggle the light ON with action group 1, then toggle it again with action group 2, it will stay ON (instead of turning off with the second toggle on action group 2).

I ran into the toggle 'half-persistence' first, and decided against using toggle completely, as it would not react predictably. Which is why I did all patterns with an explicit 'turn on' or 'turn off' per light for all lights in each pattern, one full pattern per action group.

Since I explicitly tell every single light in the grid to either turn on or turn off... that should work, yes? Except it doesn't: there's always some lights that after having set their action, it won't stick once launched, and when I get back in the editor, the uncooperative lights show no action set. Somehow it's not actually being saved. I redo them, add the missing on/off actions, launch... and now thos work, but some other couple of lights decide they won't play along. Back in the editor... now those lights have no actions set.

It's acting like there some type of limit and as soon as I set more actions than that limit, it wipes some others. Not sure if it's by some type of order, or randomly... it seemed random.

• 1 month later...

You could experiment. Get some structural plates and install a probe core, a battery and a grid of lights. Set your action groups and see what works and what doesn't Keep adding lights till you get glitches. Then your lights are in neat rows and columns. You can see exactly which lights (by order of installation and by order of action group setting) fail, and count out the amount that work. Maybe there's a bug? Who knows.

Also take symmetry into consideration, if it's applicable. 

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.