[1.1.3] NicheParts v1.4.2 - Real Engine Pack

MockingBird

Changelog V1.3

- Introducing 'Descent Engines' - See imgur album to preview.

- Fixed minimum thrust for MLE

- Fixed resource for MLE (It is in fact a monopropellant engine)

- 400N, 890N, 4kN & MLE now have unlimited ignitions

- Fixed SuperDraco, no longer affected by ullage

Edited by MockingBird
spelling

Awesome!

I noticed, that all your subfolders contain a lot of hidden MacOS files (Running Win7), probably backups from a text editor and preview/cache files^^

I personaly don't bother, but others might freak out, especially since all the redundant files are bigger than the actual config files and still end in .cfg.

2 hours ago, h0yer said:

I noticed, that all your subfolders contain a lot of hidden MacOS files (Running Win7), probably backups from a text editor and preview/cache files^^

Ahh not this again!! Haha. I do all my work on the Mac so I always tend to miss those hidden files. I'll repackage on my windows PC which should sort it. Cheers for the heads up.

V1.3.1 - Re-up with this change.

Edited by MockingBird

Is it on purpose there's no support for RealFuels fuels? Seems strange if it's made for RO

EDIT: OK my bad.. It's because it's bundled with the RO-configs. Maybe you should add a RealFuels non-RO config? Otherwise I'm going to make one today :wink:

Edited by hippomormor

2 hours ago, hippomormor said:

Is it on purpose there's no support for RealFuels fuels? Seems strange if it's made for RO EDIT: OK my bad.. It's because it's bundled with the RO-configs. Maybe you should add a RealFuels non-RO config? Otherwise I'm going to make one today :wink:

Im not super sure how I'd go about making a separate RealFuels config.. Not really my strongpoint these config's, I have to admit. If you do put one together Id be happy to add it in with the download, or just share it on here.

1 hour ago, Theysen said:

Hey MockingBird,

awesome work I have to say. Really like the little Bipropellant engines!

Are you and/or (?) @Zarbizaure actually taking requests? I'd think the Fregat Upper Stage Engine might be a nice little addition to either one of your mods and I don't know any other mod which adds this engine specifically.

Hmm, may I suggest/request the S5.98M from the russsian Briz-M/KM upper stage? (Wiki-stuff)

• 2 weeks later...

Changelog V1.4

< WARNING > This update will break active vessels & saved ships using old NicheParts due to a large number of changes to models and configs. - Remove old parts from your ships and re-save, unfortunately theres no way to save active vessels (that i know of) - Delete old NicheParts folder before install.

• Many new parts - see imgur album
  • RCS overhaul
  • Added the correct naming for the Airbus Thrusters and Apogee motors.
  • Fixed mass for MR103 
  • S400 now has correct mixture ratio and max thrust
  • Thruster Blocks now have the correct (higher) thrust, originally I had assumed that the figure was applied to all RCS transforms, however it appears that it is shared between them

On ‎8‎/‎23‎/‎2016 at 8:44 AM, MockingBird said:

Changelog V1.4

< WARNING > This update will break active vessels & saved ships using old NicheParts due to a large number of changes to models and configs. - Remove old parts from your ships and re-save, unfortunately theres no way to save active vessels (that i know of) - Delete old NicheParts folder before install.

• Many new parts - see imgur album
  • RCS overhaul
  • Added the correct naming for the Airbus Thrusters and Apogee motors.
  • Fixed mass for MR103 
  • S400 now has correct mixture ratio and max thrust
  • Thruster Blocks now have the correct (higher) thrust, originally I had assumed that the figure was applied to all RCS transforms, however it appears that it is shared between them

Wow! That's a lot of new engines.

• 4 weeks later...
15 hours ago, romanasul said:

Wow, i just found out about this. I'm surprised it's not in the recommended mods for Realism Overhaul. Also, what parts did you use to make that Juno and Exomars?

Cheers for the comment, I believe its not listed on the RO page because the configs are included in the mod itself, and not with RO.

As for Juno and Exomars, I used Procedural Parts for the tanks & cylindrical structures, B9 Procedural Wings for the geometric structures and TweakScale to get the stock solar panels larger. ProbesPlus has pretty much all the science parts you need & that's about it really, the only thing I had missing was the thrusters and engines, thats how this mod came about really. Using procedurals you can get pretty realistic spacecraft built if you work to the correct dry mass and wet mass etc. 

The only bit of realism missing I think is the helium pressurisation system, I've been waiting for someone to come up with a decent pressurisation mod for RO, I think its long overdue, I wish I had the time to work on one myself but wouldn't really know where to start & real life has caught up with me now unfortunately.

@MockingBird the pressurization system for pressure - fed engines (and RCS) is simulated by the increased mass of the ServiceModule tank definition. There was some talk on GitHub about including a gas pressurant requirement but it was never realized because the parts are already mass - balanced (and adding an extra resource requires a new balancing pass).

1 hour ago, Phineas Freak said:

@MockingBird the pressurization system for pressure - fed engines (and RCS) is simulated by the increased mass of the ServiceModule tank definition. There was some talk on GitHub about including a gas pressurant requirement but it was never realized because the parts are already mass - balanced (and adding an extra resource requires a new balancing pass).

Indeed, the mass is simulated, I had envisioned something like what you mentioned, where you would need to make use of the helium resource, perhaps even go as far as to specify what levels of pressure and add a tank part for COPV's. Would be another thing to fail too, considering how pesky helium systems can be :D

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 2 months later...
This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.