Devnote Tuesday: We couldn't think of a title this week

SQUAD

2 hours ago, 0111narwhalz said:

Pretty sure crafts are fine, as long as physics doesn't change. Really old craft from the pre-SPP era might suffer from aesthetics, but other than that, the crafts should always load in. Due to recent tweaking of the aerodynamics and the change of meaning of specific impulse, you'll probably have to tweak your aircraft, but pretty much everything else should be fine.

So all you have to do is just drag your craft files into the updated version.

46 minutes ago, kiwi1960 said:

So, yes, I too hope the wheels are fixed!

And .... I know it won't happen, but way back in .90 someone released tracks for rovers... they could take a licking and keep on ticking. The best rover I ever built had these tracks, and I'd like to see them added to stock, or at least, a modder coming up with a 1.2 version of them. That is a wish... nothing more and nothing less.

But .... I'd wheely wheely love to see the wheels fixed... we wheely need them working... wheel, I think so anyhow... but wheel wait and see.

At least, I'm not going to blame my design skills anymore... nor am I going to blame Squad... but it is a bug... so...... here is hoping they are fixed.

[edited by adsii1970 for relevant content]

From what I have read, the wheels are supposed to be fixed - and not a moment too soon. I agree, I loved the tracks, too. Not only did I make some pretty awesome rovers, but they could handle nearly any terrain I threw them at!

The one thing I will say is that some of the newer players have really come down hard on those of us who played this game before the 1.0.1 release. I have seen a lot of older forum members trashed for saying the wheels do not work and the newer crowd insisting that the problem is our designs. It has gotten to the point that I rarely mention my dissatisfaction with the way wheels and landing gear perform (come on, when a Kerbal hits a landing leg, the leg should not explode!).

Once the wheel bug is fixed, I cannot wait to see how the craft performance will improve! I also have hope that those wheel mods (specifically Kerbal Foundries - with its tracks) will be back up and running!

42 minutes ago, Alshain said:

There is no way to know.  Why?

Because no one seems hyped about it. At least from what I've seen. I have seen people that don't want telemetry (I don't either). I just don't want to spend 3 hours setting up a network.

Who needs a fancy title anyway?

Good devnotes.  I've been rearly encouraged by the recent devnotes, I can see that a lot of background stuff is going on that will set up for a lot of good stuff to come.

I know it will be a few updates be for we really feel the benefits, but keep up the good work.

2 hours ago, HoloYolo said:

Because no one seems hyped about it. At least from what I've seen. I have seen people that don't want telemetry (I don't either). I just don't want to spend 3 hours setting up a network.

Good thing you can turn it off and not do it then. It's really cool though that you've been in touch with everyone and gotten their opinion or view on this to know no one is hyped about it. That's amazing dedication.  Not sure what KSP would do without vigilant people like you knowing what everyone wants. 

Its nice to see the direction the dev team has taken lately. A lot of fixes coming and it appears serious work into trying to find out the issues with other problems as well. It was sad to see so many original members leave, but it seems many capable hands have joined recently and things are in good hands. 

Keep up the good work. 

Edited by Hevak

14 minutes ago, Hevak said:

Good thing you can turn it off and not do it then. It's really cool though that you've been in touch with everyone and gotten their opinion or view on this to know no one is hyped about it. That's amazing dedication.  Not sure what KSP would do without vigilant people like you knowing what everyone wants. 

Its nice to see the direction the dev team has taken lately. A lot of fixes coming and it appears serious work into trying to find out the issues with other problems as well. It was sad to see so many original members leave, but it seems many capable hands have joined recently and things are in good hands. 

Keep up the good work. 

I feel like you've been sarcastic the comment you made to reply to me. I mean, thanks if you weren't, but I feel suspicious.

Also, I do not deny the direction we have been heading in is a good one. Yes, I do want stuff that is never going to be added, but the fixes and new career stuff seem to please most people. I'm glad. It seems like KSP is going to just get better at this point.

44 minutes ago, Thatguywholikesionengines said:

Holy Jebus... they fixed the wheel blocking? WHOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO:sticktongue::confused:!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

They have? Oh wait, no they haven't.... not yet, you cannot say that till 1.2 is out.

Just.... remain calm in the meantime. :)

4 hours ago, HoloYolo said:

I've seen nothing from anyone involved with the actual coding (read: RoverDude) that even implies you need to spend 3 hours, or any amount of time at all, setting up a network.

And as has been said, you can turn it off.

Count me as one who is hyped for the idea. I've gone through so many hypecycles though that I don't actually show it much. But I'm already planning on how to make sure I incorporate it into a YouTube series.

13 minutes ago, 5thHorseman said:

I've seen nothing from anyone involved with the actual coding (read: RoverDude) that even implies you need to spend 3 hours, or any amount of time at all, setting up a network.

And as has been said, you can turn it off.

Count me as one who is hyped for the idea. I've gone through so many hypecycles though that I don't actually show it much. But I'm already planning on how to make sure I incorporate it into a YouTube series.

Well the 3 hour thing was an exaggeration, but I see what you mean. If you're hyped, that's cool. I'm not, even though I can turn it off. I just feel like it's not going to "change" the game since you can just turn it off.

36 minutes ago, 5thHorseman said:

Possible thread title: The wheels in the sky keep on turning.

(To most of the forum, that's from a song your parents used to listen to)

Yup, you're right. A lot of young pups here that are unfortunately stuck with Beiber and other no talent singers... I have it on vinyl and bought it in 1981 (the Infinity album). It was the first LP I ever bought with my allowance money. The next album I bought was Blondie's Greatest Hits... Anyhow, Wheel In the Sky is a dang fitting song theme for these here devnotes!

Edited by adsii1970

3 hours ago, adsii1970 said:

Yup, you're right. A lot of young pups here that are unfortunately stuck with Beiber and other no talent singers... I have it on vinyl and bought it in 1981 (the Infinity album). It was the first LP I ever bought with my allowance money. The next album I bought was Blondie's Greatest Hits... Anyhow, Wheel In the Sky is a dang fitting song theme for these here devnotes!

As for me I had this song on a Memorex 90min cassette, the keyword is HAD as I played the tape so much it stretched out and snapped :(. I'm now trying to record a higher quality 90min CrO2 tape, if I had the time. Also, I didn't mention that I have a Sony Walkman, and I'm only 13 yrs old. (seriously, only 13)

13 and messing with 'retro' tech? That's awesome, try to find another Walkman :)  They will become harder to find, in good condition, as time marches on. Although there seems to be a bit of a resurgence of interest in cassettes lately.  In the long term, broken rubber belts could become a problem (unless it's direct drive) as there isn't much demand for repair parts. I remember when I could go to a place like radio shack, (a whole separate discussion) and find a pegboard covered with dozens and dozens of different black rubber belts, each in little baggies.    (In before: "i remember getting replacement vacuum tubes at radio shack" - lol)

Ok I'm delighted you guys are making 'solid progress' on the European ps4 release. However I'm baffled as to what you're making progress on.  Can you please just tell us what's holding the release up? Seems to me it can't be that substantial as it was cancelled last minute and European Xbone owners can purchase it. 

6 hours ago, klesh said:

The yellow Sports Walkmans were what the cool kids had.  

I have a 1984 working yellow sport Walkman I use it on my boat as it's waterproof. I also have a 1990 Walkman. (both work great and both have a AM/FM radio)

A very funny observation..... funny as in.... "hmmmmm... that is strange....."

While the wheels do not work on the planes I make, running off the runway....

They work perfectly on a boat I made, and because the splash down was hard, opted not to use "vessel mover"... I attached wheels to it...

Wouldn't you know it... the run to the water was perfect, didn't veer off or anything....

Then I made a VTOL craft using that awesome mod "Throttle Controlled Avionics" by allista and the same thing... sure, VTOL, but I ran it down the runway anyhow before lifting off....

Speaking of Allista.... you guys really should offer him a job...

In both cases... the wheels did not act as expected.... in that... they worked perfectly... probably because both craft didn't have any lifting surfaces....

3 minutes ago, kiwi1960 said:

A very funny observation..... funny as in.... "hmmmmm... that is strange....."

[...]

I have had a lot of luck with building my aircraft carefully; placing elevators far behind the wheels or using foreplanes seems to work well. Additionally, try using the rotation gizmo in Absolute mode, with angle snap on, to align the suspension vector with the vertical. Pitch deviations seem alright (within reason), but roll or yaw deviations have a severe impact. I've designed with that in mind due to some crazy nonsense back in the Old Days, when the wheels were pretty terrible (antedating the wheels people miss now), so most of my planes don't fishtail. One of the major sources of fishtailing seems to be excessive downforces on the gear. Induced angles of attack and the aforementioned foreplanes reduce this, which should help a bit.

One last: If you're feeling adventurous, try overriding the Friction Control and setting it a bit higher on the rearmost landing gear. That'll make them apply lateral forces more vigorously, which should make your gear arrangement more stable.

Finally, I'd like to point out that I'm not saying the wheels aren't bad. They're pretty messed up. What I'm trying to say is that they're workable. And really, they give us enough options to work around just about all their...eccentricities.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.