Moho (how you do it?)

How you guys go to Moho? Even with transfer window planner mod i just cant get it right. So I used the same system as the Mun, on Kerbol. i launch with the minimum delta v necessary to escape kerbin but being as close as circular to kerbol. Once outside i align plane and do a hohman transfer. The price, around 7k delta v.

7km/s dV isn't too bad for Moho.  There's a very good tutorial on it in the, er, tutorials section of this forum and it can be done for as little as about 2.5km/s IIRC but off-the-bat figures from the dV map would put transfer to and orbit at around 6.6km/s unless you know 'the trick'.

Point is, Moho's generally considered the hardest place to reach in the solar system so you haven't done at all badly.

That is one way. I know you could do an Eve intercept. Refuel at Gilly. Have a refueling station inbetween Kebin and Moho somewhere around the sun (good luck getting an intercept). And also agree with Pecan. For going from Kerbin directly to Moho that is not bad.

Ions. I packed 20 km/s for my Moho trip. Overkill, absolutely, but having heard so many stories of other players running out of delta-V on their Moho trips I decided that whatever went wrong with mine it wouldn't be lack of propulsion! In the event I needed two goes to stick the landing but otherwise the trip was a resounding success, and I had enough leftover dV in the mothership to stop off at Gilly and Bop for jetpack landings before returning to Kerbin.

The best way to Moho direct from Kerbin is to forget transfer windows and leave from Kerbin when Kerbin is crossing Mohos' ascending node.

On 9/14/2014 at 11:46 PM, Aethon said:

I landed on Moho last night using macollos' method and it's slicker than snot on a broom handle. Basically you leave LKO on Mohos' AN/DN.

The first time this occurs ( IIRC the AN ) is ( Earth ) Year 1 Day 21, on or about Hour 17. Set Moho as your target and drag a dummy Kerbin escape node out to see where the AN/DN is. I combined my Kerbin escape burn with my inclination burn at a total cost of 2300 dv. At my solar periapse ( which was also Mohos' solar periapse ) I burned 1800ms retro ( as Kashua suggests. See link ) to make sure I encountered Moho on my next orbit, which lowered my solar apoapse and slowed the eventual Moho encounter down dramatically. My capture burn at Moho was around 1000ms.

Scroll down to maccollos' post, and then scroll further down and read what Kasuha says.

Hope this helps.

Edited by Aethon

45 minutes ago, Pecan said:

7km/s dV isn't too bad for Moho.  There's a very good tutorial on it in the, er, tutorials section of this forum and it can be done for as little as about 2.5km/s IIRC but off-the-bat figures from the dV map would put transfer to and orbit at around 6.6km/s unless you know 'the trick'.

Point is, Moho's generally considered the hardest place to reach in the solar system so you haven't done at all badly.

Agreed. You can do it for cheaper dV, but brute forcing it by designing for more and more dV works too. I failed my orbital insertion on Moho my first 2 attempts, I think. You have to pack plenty of dV and still have decent thrust. The good news is that the experience will teach you a lot and improve your spaceship designs. Have fun!

Here is a possable suggestion when and if you try to get there another time. Have a 2+ part ship. Which either has one part impact on Moho or you let it drift back out. With the second part having all the remaining fuel from the first. Unless you are tryign to get the science from a fly-by for Moho for some reason. But, then you might need to carry extra engines that are either dead weight or used to push.

2 hours ago, Aethon said:

The best way to Moho direct from Kerbin is to forget transfer windows and leave from Kerbin when Kerbin is crossing Mohos' ascending node.

Were this thread in the Q/A section of the forum, I'd upvote this answer.

EDIT: Yay it got moved and I was able to upvote :)

Edited by 5thHorseman

often i will launch a vehicle on a direct to moho, with a large heavy engine, and then use a long slow down allignment process affordable by the oodles of Delta V you get from use Ions.   and the proximity to the sun lets you get away with 8-10 ion engines lol    My last vehicle left kerbin with 14500 m/s, while carrying a lander and enough fuel to refuel it

patience is a must!  a movie or two helps aswell lol

Edited by DD_bwest

13 minutes ago, 5thHorseman said:

Were this thread in the Q/A section of the forum, I'd upvote this answer.

So would I. So I did.

1 hour ago, Kadrush said:

i launch with the minimum delta v necessary to escape kerbin but being as close as circular to kerbol.

That's not really an efficient way to do it, you should do all of your burn from low kerbin orbit rather than escaping Kerbin into near circular and then burning for Moho. Sometimes it's better to do the plane change later but it's a good rule of thumb.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.