Mun Power!!

Dr.K Kerbal

Have you ever thought about it? The Mun seems like a super lame planet. It's the closest to Kerbin, it's copied off the Moon. It looks boring. But when you put your imagination to it, you could turn the whole Mun into a completely new Kerbin! You could build a futuristic new base! You could make a racecourse for you and your friends to drive on! 

So scrap Duna, and Eeloo, and Dres, and stick with the basics.

Stick with the Mun ( Or low Kerbin Orbit )

Edited by Dr.K Kerbal

Ummmm.... what?

So you just want to build surface bases on it? people already build bases on it to refeul stuff (although minmus is also very popular, I prefer mun)

Or you want to terraform it.... theres a thread in the science forums about why something like that wouldn't work... but that gives me an idea for a mod...

Kopernicus+ sigma binary + my modded mars based planet = a pretty cool binary planet system with mun and minmus orbiting the binary pair.

8onfRCA.png

Maybe instead of pseudo-L4, I should make it a moon/binary planet with Kerbin - despite looks its quite a bit smaller than Kerbin, its less than 10% the mass of kerbin, but still more massive than Duna....

So you wanted something like this:

CpZQ8JO.png

Its even easier if you use claws. Mine all fit fairly easily together because they are all designed to fit in the same mk3 bay.

Loading each rover-module into the dropship in space was a big pain:

4BigY74.png

w6acpBt.png

But i got it done

1aPSPuF.png

In my subsequent version, all the rover modules have RCS thruster blocks and enough RCS to dock themselves without the need for the loading craft seen in those screenshots

Edited by KerikBalm

41 minutes ago, T-Bouw said:

Mun will always have a special place reserved in my hart for being the first extraterrestrial body I've visited. :blush:

I feel the same way about my first girlfriend.  Duna reminds me about this red-headed woman I once dated.

Minmus is ok, but Mun = Fun. Rovering around on Mun is a blast (and a bit tedious and nerve-wracking too). There's quite a few 'anomalies' to visit, the Armstrong Memorial, arches, and monoliths... use SCANsat to find them. Sure, you can fly to each of them and land there, but you could also rover which is far more of a challenge (and fun) if you ask me. There's also an abundance of biomes for those playing science games (which I do).

This was one of my Mun bases. I had two rovers running around doing science and visiting anomalies which were assigned to this base. This was back in v0.90.0
MMp8o92.png

4 hours ago, KerikBalm said:

Kopernicus+ sigma binary + my modded mars based planet = a pretty cool binary planet system with mun and minmus orbiting the binary pair.

Yes plz, gogo make mod :wink: 

Alright, when I get home, I'll give it a crack... I've never used sigma binary before, but I calculated the distance it should orbit at in each case so that its orbital period is the same as kerbin's rotation period... so that kerbin will effectively be tidally locked to it (as it should be) without messing up the length of kerbin's day

Without sigma binary, it will be 3,463km from kerbin (Mun is 12,000 km). With sigma binary, Kerbin+ Mun will be 3,568 km from each other.

I'm a bit worried that if one were to do a N body simulation for this, Muns orbit would be really unstable... mun orbits proportionately much closer to kerbin that our moon orbits from Earth... so there's less space to fit such a large world without screwing things up... ah well... thats the situation with tylo, laythe, and val around Jool (and also bop)

Edited by KerikBalm

2 hours ago, KerikBalm said:

Without sigma binary, it will be 3,463km from kerbin (Mun is 12,000 km). With sigma binary, Kerbin+ Mun will be 3,568 km from each other.

Just imagine what the tidal forces would be like...

I was off by a decimal point.... but that's an idea... modify the height map to make it egg shaped...

*edit* Nope wasn't off by a decimal point, just some weird effects,

Ok, pics of this Moon up... no sigma binary yet, I'm still having some issues with the scatterer configs, and for some reason the moon is much closer in the title screen and clips through kerbin... once in game its fine though... so I don't understand what is going on there

The stock kerbal X is more than capable of landing on this moon and returning safely to kerbin. I landed on the "Karsis plateau" and had to use some rocket power for breaking, but it surely save dV on the ascent... so I'm not sure if its better to aim for the low areas or high areas... I suspect there's an optima somewhere in between. You'd need a lot more dV just to land on the summit of Olympus Mons for example

Edited by KerikBalm

I once tried to make a giant Mothership to send to the Mun, And then did a few things on it.

I sent over the first part of my base, which was 3 hitch-hiker containers. All facing up. I then sent over a 2.5m science lab lying sideways. I had 4 docking ports around my first peicewe that I sent to the Mun, so I docked it to that. I then sent over a fuel refinery. It had a docking port at the top and 4 around the sides ( For Rovers ). The one on the top would be for spacecraft. You would need engines facing up when you are down though... It had 8 drills and a large ore container. It had an ISRU Converter and 8 Laarge slower panels, with a robot control slab and 3 2.5 batteries.

I made 3 rovers to send over to the Mun, but one got stuck in a creator. I landed the rover about 10 kilometres away from the base, so it was a bit of a drive. I was going at a speed of 20m/s and slowed down to 10m/s when there were creators, tight fits and in-even terrain. It took me about 2 hours to drive to the base. 

I then made the Mother ship in low Kerbin orbit- about 100k up. There were 4 parts, and we're all connected with Docking port Sr.'s The engines were 12 nuclear engines and 100,000 litres of liquid fuel and no oxidiser.

I sent over about 10 kerbals to the Mun all at once with that thing. But I had to do 2 lunar lander trips. It had a mk2 lander can <2 Kerbals> and a hitchhiker container <4 Kerbals>. 

I can't put in any photos, because I don't have an Imgr account.

Hmm actually...it shouldn't be that hard to give the Mun an atmosphere and some water level, or am I missing something?

So terraforming the Mun should be possible after all (even though it would not be realistic, but what's realistic in the Kerbol system? Planets with a 600km radius and 1g of acceleration?)

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.